Confessions for the 2-4 yearr-old set ...

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by rebekahj, Jul 17, 2011.

1. rebekahj

rebekahj Well-Known Member

The second year forum has a sticky thread that I think everyone enjoys - confessions of parenting shortcuts taken, 'required' things undone, potty training snafus unmentioned, things fed to dogs or other species, etc. Hopefully it'll both make people feel good to confess and feel good to read other's confessions.

I'll start...

My kids get bathed about once a week.
    That's a lot more often than my husband gets sex.

My kids favorite 'vegetables' are french fries.

Sometimes I hope my kids are done eating so that I can eat their leftovers.

I buy new toys when _I_ get bored, my kids are usually fine with their current toys. We have a whole lot of toys!

I think my boys are the cutest ever. I think a lot of other kids are funny looking.

More as I think of them.

6 people like this.
  2. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Oh where to start...

My kids watch way too much TV because it's either that or them destroying the house
    I don't even bother serving veggies most days because it just goes to the trash anyway
    Sex... what's that?
    I can't wait for September for them to be in preschool
    I'm guilty of giving them toys just so that i know for sure that I'll get a break for an hour or two
    My house is a huge mess and I think it's pointless to pick up all those toys every day as it's just going to be a mess the next day anyway
    I stop at the drive through once a week because I just don't know what to feed them anymore... at least they'll eat french fries/nachos
    We spend a lot of time at home but between gas prices and the heat i'm just lazy

1 person likes this.
  3. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

If the house is particularly messy with toys, I will pick up most of it myself and then have the girls clean up the rest. Its such a chore to cheer-lead them to clean up some days. :wacko:

1 person likes this.
  4. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

When the boys are doing the constant potty-ing at mealtimes I don't always make them wash their hands after each time :bad:

If they dribble a little pee on their underwear I don't change them.

If they have snacked all day I just let them snack on into dinner, I don't actually feed them.

I count ice cream and milkshakes as a dairy serving;)

I have yelled and spanked wayyyy more than I would ever like to admit!!

I got rid of booster seats mostly bc I was sick of cleaning the disgusting things!

5. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We eat boxed mac & cheese & variations there of almost every day of the week.

Sometimes I close the baby gate at the top of the stairs & hide in the basement because I'm so sick of the whining.

I make up stupid excuses about why we can't go play outside but it really boils down to how much I hate the chore of putting sun screen on both of them.

I passive/aggressively make my husband help with things by telling my children to ask him instead of me, instead of just asking him myself.

6. rebekahj

I pretty much never use sunscreen.

I let my boys climb and jump on things that would freak my husband out in terms of safety.

One of my boys regularly has mild diarrhea and I let him walk around in a dirty diaper until he complains about it.

My boys are only 2 but I buy them 'Not for kids under 3' stuff all the time.

7. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

Yep. Yep. Yep.

Uh huh.

Oh yeah, that too.

They still eat all kinds of messy food with their fingers, not because they can't use forks, but because I'm too lazy to push them to use forks.

The couch has been unusable for weeks because they keep taking off the cushions and "building" with them, and I'm too lazy to do anything about it.

I still count the hours until bedtime. :wacko:

Cakeandkalelife likes this.
  8. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I let my son sleep in my bed because I want someone to cuddle with and my husband is usually playing video games.

I still haven't learned that when my kids are absolute terrors, they're getting sick.

I love just throwing a couple of apples in my purse for snacks.

I hate reading to them at night, good thing my husband loves it. I don't mind it at any other time, and I don't know why either.

I bribe them with marshmallows regularly.

Cakeandkalelife and Gigantor like this.
  9. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure they've had salami, cheddar cheese, crackers, and a fruit for lunch every day this summer.

Sometimes they don't eat breakfast until 10:30 because if they aren't asking for it, I'm happy to let them play.

I have the SPF shirts so I only have to put sunscreen on their face, arms, and legs.

Sometimes I leave them in the bathtub for an hour so that I can have some "downtime" to read while sitting in the bathroom or folding clothes next to the bathroom door.

I let them have whatever toy they want (as long as it is safe) in their cribs with them so they will happily play during rest time (since they quit napping!).

Yeah, that's right, they are still trapped in their cribs. Not sure when I'll move them to toddler beds. Maybe around 7 or 8?

I feed them their meals way too often - but it cuts mealtime in half and I guess I kinda like it.

Swimming in a chlorinated pool counts as a bath, right?

3 people like this.
  10. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

I don't want to potty train twins and if I could outsource it, I would.

Mine talk, much better than I had any right to expect but there are still times I have no idea what they are asking for or telling me so I just agree with them to get them to stop repeating it.

LIke Becky, I hate night time reading. It seems like such a chore. Other times of day, I love it. At bed time, I am just done and want it over with.

I use the twins as an excuse not to do things. They are actually fairly easy and well behaved but I don't feel like doing all the social things all the time so I use the twins as an excuse.

Cakeandkalelife likes this.
  11. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

I brush their hair about three times a week

I often wish that nobody would touch me for at least an hour! It seems like someone is always hanging on me.

After about 15 books a day, I really don't want to read to my kiddos anymore. I feel bad, but I often convince them to play with a toy instead of wanting me to read.

The other day I stubbed my toe and said, "Son of a..." and one of my girls finished my sentences by saying "b***h"

I LOVE that they sleep a lot

My girls snack ALL day long. I'm very lucky that most of it is fresh fruit!

1 person likes this.
  12. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

Both of my girls still sleep with me, AND have no bedtime. AND if I get ready for them to go to sleep and they won't, I say " oh my goodness Santa is coming we have to go to sleep now!!" works like a charm every time and not once have they questioned it.

I sent my girls to vacation bible school last week so that I could go to the grocery store alone but it backfired on me and they cried so bad that I had to stay with them the entire time all week - they are supposed to start pre k in the fall but I am not sure how they will handle it.

I bribe all 5 of my kids.

I let my girls paint their finger and toe nails by themselves because it keeps them entertained ( I mean because they do such a pretty job lol!)

I make a HUGE deal out of going to get the mail from the mailbox so that the girls will go get it and I can concentrate on keeping this couch from floating off ( disclaimer: our mailbox is no where near a road and it is safe for them to get the mail)

I am glad that McDonalds gives toys in the happy meals, it makes the girls happy and I actually look forward to seeing what they get too.

If We are out and about and I know Travis does not want to stop to get a drink or eat, I will whisper in the girls ears to ask daddy to go to wherever sounds good at the time.

the time they REALLY REALLY wanted to buy daddy the ridiculous Elmo shirt because they love Elmo and they knew daddy did too and would wear it -Yeah that was me. They only said all of that because I said it to them in the store. And I wanted him to wear it to Elmo on ice.

The park is not really closed, I just don't feel like sitting there for hours.

My girls are probably close to the only kids their age who have NO clue what the ice cream truck is. Last time we were at the park, the ice-cream truck came and suddenly my two were the only ones on the playground.

If any of my kids want something they are far more likely to get it if it looks cool to me.

13. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

These are hysterical and makes us realize we are not perfect :ibiggrin: . I have been telling DH every day that doesn't require a doctor visit or trip to the ER is a good day. Here are some of mine:

Chuck E. Cheese is on vacation every time we drive by the strip mall

MCD's is closed because we just had that for breakfast on the way to go shopping & we are not eating it for lunch too.

We have had many days where they got MCD's for breakfast & dinner because I am too exhausted to cook by dinnertime so DH picks it up on the way home.

We have avoided PT, but I can't stand buying the diapers anymore so we are doing PT boot camp when this box runs out.

They still use paci's because I can't stand hearing them whine at night, but as soon as we are PT they are the next to go.

I look at more clothes or toys for them than for me or DH.

Sex...is that something we should be doing regularly?

I often tell them to pick up their toys or I'm getting out the garbage bag to throw them out even though I have never done that.

Playing in the kiddie pool or wiggle worm squirter does count as a bath some days.

They get fruit snacks when I get sick of throwing away the fresh fruit that has gone bad from not getting eaten quick enough.

14. mummy2two

mummy2two Well-Known Member

My kids are almost three and they are still in their cribs. I don't have any plans of letting them out.

Sometimes I am too tired to brush their teeth before they go to bed.

I use wipes instead of bathing them.

My kids know how to use F**K appropriately because of me.

I feed them the same things every day of the week just so I don't have to think of a new meal--Mon (nuggets & FF), Tue (bacon & pancakes), Wed (meatballs), Thu (soup & sandwich)

I can't stand their wardrobe needs and I get cranky when I have to hang up their clean laundry. Therefore, their clothes usually stay in laundry baskets.

If I don't understand what one of them is saying, I'll get the other one to translate.

I sometimes buy toys I secretly like...so does my husband.

Hah! My kids know what the ice cream truck is...and they know we don't buy ice cream from trucks.

I love that I can tell them to get this from the living room or take this to the kitchen.

15. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

My girls are very good at imaginative play but I think alot of it comes from their favorite TV shows...

They definitely do not get a bath everyday.

During the summer, most days they have not been dressed until lunch time. Or sometimes after a nap.

On that note, sometimes they just run around their underwear half the day...

They do not lay down to take a nap anymore. However, if they REALLY seem like they need a nap I will have a sudden need to drive to Sonic for a drink and they almost always fall asleep in the car.

I can't stand the heat. So we rarely go outside to play.

If they are reluctant to leave a store, park, etc, I just tell them the place is about to close and we have to leave.

I bribe also...

We should read more than we do.

We really should get out more.

16. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Definitely playing in the kiddie pool, running through sprinklers, or just being hosed down after I water the plants counts as a bath!

Cars 2 still isn't in movie theaters.... Because I don't want to take them!

You can only get Lolliepops at the hair salon. Just because!

My dh is much more patient so he is the one who taught them to brush their teeth and dress themselves. I'd rather do it for them and just get it done.

17. Fossie

Fossie Well-Known Member

These are great - makes me feel a lot better about my slacking!

I don't own a hairbrush for my kids :FIFblush: . My dd doesn't have much hair and what she does have is straight and not tangled so I just let it go (sadly I do the same with mine and every day put it in a ponytail on the way to work), ds has obstinate hair that won't lay down no matter what I do so I just let it go too!

Baths happen every other night, maybe, if they are lucky (since they love it and I despise sitting there and fighting to get them to get out, and the crying everytime I wash shampoo out no matter if nothing even goes near their eyes, etc., etc.).

A lot of things "close" at random times - or it is "about to rain" and we can't go outside. Chuck E. Cheese is never open according to my kids!

Macaroni salad, pasta salad or chicken salad (all made by dh), fruit cups and string cheese are their dinner (and lunch on weekends) every day. Peanut Butter and Jelly got thrown in there lately because I really wanted to try the Honey Roasted peanut butter!

My dd has said sh*t at least five times in the last two days and I let her without saying anything because it is better than what she was saying that she picked up from me (and the s word was dh's fault).

I work full-time (my kids go with me to childcare onsite) and only really get to see the kids for a couple of hours after work but I still look forward to bedtime most nights :(.

I let them ride their bikes in the house. I get frazzled when they both try to go separate directions outside and won't stay on the sidewalk so I just deal with the tire marks on the wall.

I put them in pull-ups on weekends even though they are pretty much fully day trained because the constant potty trips drive me crazy. They are changing classrooms in a few weeks where there are no pull-ups allowed and the only reason they aren't ready is me! In my defense we do go to the waterpark every weekend and potty training there is a nightmare.

18. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:laughing:

I have a bad one. That I feel guilty about I mean. I honestly prefer my son to the twins, because he is so sweet and cuddly and silent and they are so whiny and demanding.

I am the horrible mother that has a favorite child.

1 person likes this.
  19. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

No, you just have a favorite son. :)

5 people like this.
  20. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I outsourced potty training (thank you wonderful nanny who trained them in three days flat!)

I rarely make my kids wash their hands after going potty

Three months ago, DH and I took the girls to a drive through Carls Jr (hamburger place) on the way back from the airport. It was their first experience with fast food. Now when they ask to go to the store where food comes out of the wall, I tell them we don't have any in our town. So they have been asking to go back to Albuquerque.

Sometimes I don't even bother with vegetables since I know they're not going to eat them

I don't watch my kids in the bathtub. I'm usually just one room away, but I can not stand to sit still for 30 minutes while they're splashing and playing.

We go days, and once even a full week without brushing hair.

I use Piper's peanut allergy as an excuse why we can't buy things (cookies, candy, etc.). I'm sunk when they learn to read because they'll figure out that jelly beans DO NOT have peanuts in them.

I let my kids pick their own clothes. Some days that means Cricket wears her pajamas and a tiara to the grocery store because I don't want to fight about it. If anyone asks, I just call it creativity.

2 people like this.
  21. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

My boys will be 3 in a few weeks, and I still have never taken them anywhere by myself. :blush:

I don't cut their fingernails; I've made my nanny do it ever since I quicked Jack when he was a newborn. :(

I also have a favorite, but I'll never tell. :hush:

Most days I feel like everything I say to the boys involves a threat: "If you throw your toy, I will take it away"...."If you pinch me again, I'll put you down"...."If you do *anything* bad, I'll do something worse!!!" :gah:

22. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

23. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

We are doing the 3-day PT boot camp next week and I told DS they don't sell daytime diapers anymore :ibiggrin: . Sorry, but he has been fighting me and DD is almost 70% PT already. Crossing our fingers and hoping it works.

24. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Awesome! I told my guys that we needed to give their diapers to Baby Claire (their cousin) because she ran out. :lol:

25. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

All of the above.

And I secretly love it that the boys run around and play until midnight in their room because it's cute that they hang out together and even better that they sleep in until 10 am.

I haven't confessed to my husband that we've been sleeping in every morning either because I don't want him to be mad that he has to get up and go to work while I get to lay in bed another 2-3 hrs.

3 people like this.
  26. silver_stardust

silver_stardust Well-Known Member

Love it!

Um, lets see ... I'm on the computer and they are watching a movie.

I bribe my kids with treats. A lot.

I forget to brush their teeth more than I'd like to admit.

Sometimes I don't use a wipe/cloth to clean them during a pee diaper change.

I will be keeping them crib-bound until they are at least 15. ;D

As I look to my left, I see two full laundry baskets that I could totally put away but I don't wanna.

And I'm sure there's a few more!! :angel:

27. fuchsiagroan

WIN.

28. rebekahj

Wouldn't that be great! My boys play until midnight but still get up at 6am!

29. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

They get their hair washed usually only once a week.
    Bedding gets washed maybe every two weeks...if we are lucky!
    It is against the law to roll down the windows in the car unless we are driving at the beach.
    I let them eat Teddy Grahams and the like for breakfast.
    We do the bike riding in the house as well.
    And... I quit serving a 'side' of fruit and veggies with meals. They won't eat it anyways...so what little they do get is snuck in. ;)

30. rebekahj

I have b/b twins and I had all these plans for 'gender-neutral' toys and clothes, but my house is full of cars, trains, firetrucks, construction vehicles, airplanes, etc.

I'm disappointed when people see me with twins and don't give me kudos for managing them. I _want_ people to say things like 'wow, how do you do it?' I tend to dress them in coordinating clothes to emphasize their twinness.

I tell people that didn't really ask that they're from IVF. That's what they were fishing for with 'do twins run in your family?' right? I don't want my boys to think there's any stigma to how they were conceived.

I don't make them wear helmets when they ride their balance bikes. I'm going to put up a swingset without anything under it but grass. I let them climb things at playgrounds that would give my husband a heart-attack. Once I locked my keys in the car on a playdate at a park and when he came to unlock the car, he was terrified by how much I let them run around.

1 person likes this.
  31. fuchsiagroan

That's really cool, actually. You're right, it is good to try to counter the stigma surrounding IVF. There's a SAHD we run into a lot who has an 18 mo old (singleton) daughter, and he's always telling people proudly that they tried for 8 years and I forget how many rounds of IVF to have her.

1 person likes this.
  32. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

well lets see mine are 5 but....

one of the TV's is usually on several hours a day with Nick, or Disney channel (unless its Sponge bob or one of the older kids shows - I still won't let them watch those)

both my kids know their way around the iPod and me and Tony's iPhone's and I regularly hand them over to keep them entertained...

I finally have an excuse to color with my daughter - only mine is an anatomy coloring book for nursing school - if I have to color one more princess or puppy I'll throw up!!

Ian knows how to change the TV settings to run the Blu-Ray player and Wii by himself

if we have no where to go the kids will be in the same PJ's when Tony comes home as when he left for work

I nap on a regular basis (disclaimer - we live in a ranch style home and my bedroom is right off the living room and I keep my door open)

I don't watch mine in the tub either - and they've started yelling for us when they are ready to get washed and out - sometimes an hour after they go in!!!

I also make numerous empty threats daily regarding throwing out toys or clothes or whatever they don't pick up when I ask

1 person likes this.
  33. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

Hmm, let's see

Sometimes I send them to drop in day care just cause I want them out of the house and I need some peace an quiet.

I don't give them a bath every day. More like every other day.

I'll give them a peanut butter and jelly sandwich if there's nothing to eat in the house. I've occasionally had to do that twice in a day. Now they are tired of those sandwiches...now what?

I'll let them turn on the TV just so I can sit down and relax. I"ll watch with them at least and it's always on Sprout (PBS kids). DH gets upset about that. I'll even throw in a movie if they ask me nicely. That makes DH even more upset. Oh well.

I can't wait for bedtime. More relax time.

Sex? What? What does the number 6 have to do with anything?

I still get hugs from them when I'm feeling needy. Their hugs are like drugs to me.

I have not gone out with both my boys alone yet...except to their doctor's when they were still in strollers. I'm too scared to now.

I yell at them too much. *guilty*

I like the shows they watch. I like the music they listen to.

I like to daydream about what they'll be like when they grow up. I tell my DH and he thinks I'm weird.

34. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I *totally* hate age 3 :blush: I am not the type of person to wish days away but I do count down the days until my kids turn 4. I cannot take the whining and crying over nothing.

I tell my kids that I do not negotiate with terrorists (i.e. them).

I have taken money out of their tricycle found to replace sippy cups that I have told them a thousand times not to chew on the straw, so I don't have to replace the cups.

My kids have peanut butter and jelly almost daily for lunch. That's what they ask for, it's easy to make and I'm happy to do it. I don't care if their diet is varied.

I don't buy organic food.

I miss their preschool program.

I am lucky that my kids still nap most days but even if they choose not to nap, I make them have quiet time for at least 2 hours because they wear me out.

Most days, at the end of the day, I feel like I just survived a fight with Bruce Lee and Mike Tyson. I think when my DH comes home from work most of the time he wonders what in the world happens when he is gone.

PS: I honestly think that my DH is a much better parent then me.

1 person likes this.
  35. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

I know this is a confession thread, and I'm probably going to get one of those "You're not being supportive!" replies, but OMG this is one of the grossest things I've ever read on here. :bad:

1 person likes this.