Nuts ...

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by 1stbabies, Jul 11, 2011.

1. 1stbabies

1stbabies Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    We are a bit nervous having the babies trying nuts.
    Do you request for Dr for epipen in case or just try during weekday on in the morning?
    Thanks for the feedbacks!

2. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

We didn't have any family history so I just let them try them. With my first I did it at breakfast just to make sure that if something happened it wouldn't be when he was sleeping. With the girls we were pretty sure that due to the amount of peanut butter my son and husband consume they were probably in contact with it from birth and that there weren't going to be any issues. I honestly don't even remember when I "officially" let the girls try peanut butter but it was well before they were one.

If you are worried one thing a friends Dr suggested (she has a family history of nut allergies) was to smear some peanut butter on their face and see if they get hives or any type of reaction, if not give it to them orally.

3. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

We have no family history of allergies, so I didn't hesitate to introduce peanut butter when the boys turned 1. I was a little bit nervous, but I just made sure I knew the correct dose of Benadryl for their age/weight beforehand, and had some ready just in case. I'm not sure a doctor would prescribe an Epi-pen without a history of allergies, but I could be wrong. :pardon:

Keep in mind that an allergic reaction doesn't always occur on the first exposure. It could be on the 2nd, 3rd, or even 8th! Good luck! :)

4. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

Unless you have a family history of allergies I would not worry too much. I like the idea of putting a little on their faces if you're not sure about just feeding it to them.

I'd be surprised if a doctor just gave you an epipen without an allergic reaction already having happened.

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree. There is no history of nut allergies in either mine or my DH's family, so we started with peanut butter and went from there. My kids are not big fans of nuts outside of peanuts and peanut butter.

6. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I'd also heard of giving them the peanut butter in the parking of the pediatrician's office when you go for a regular visit... that way if there's an issue you're at their office.

7. maybell

p.s. peanuts are the most allergenic (I think) and almonds (I think) are very low... almond butter is really good... if you have a Costco near you, they have a pretty good price on Almond butter... like 24 or 30 oz for $6.... Publix price is about $5 for 12 or 16 oz. We did almond butter for a long time... it's also high in calcium.

8. vharrison1969

Heh, that's really ironic because Nate is absolutely fine with peanuts, and is allergic to almonds. :pardon: He's always been a very contrary child. ;)

9. bellawillawyatt

bellawillawyatt Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone here. If you have no history in your family I wouldn't worry to much. no your doctor won't give you an epi pen with no reaction on file. You could always try it if you are at the doctors office but like someone else said sometimes its not the 1st bite that triggers it. I have known people who ate shellfish for years then in their teens and 20's eat a shrimp and are rushed to the er. If there is no history of a peanut allergy in your family I would go for it and try it out. Have benydryl around just in case but I would guess it will be fine.

10. maybell

[quote name='Nate and Jack's Mom' date='14 July 2011 - 10:11 AM' timestamp='1310652716' post='1803138']
    Heh, that's really ironic because Nate is absolutely fine with peanuts, and is allergic to almonds. :pardon: He's always been a very contrary child. ;)
    [/quote]
    gotta love it!!

actually I think that peanuts aren't even "nuts" are they? they are a legume, if I am thinking right. My nephew is allergic to some tree nuts so I have to remember that when I make things for them. yep, they are all different, peanuts, almonds etc.

11. vharrison1969

Yep, peanuts are not true nuts. What confuses me is if peanuts are legumes, why aren't people with peanut allergies allergic to peas (or beans or lentils). :unknw:

12. 1stbabies

1stbabies Well-Known Member

Thank you all for all of the feedbacks!

I also chatted with a mom who has a kid with peanut allergy, and she told me that Benadryl has been saving her everytime her kid got the allergy - as severe as throwing up besides being swolen. She has not used epipen yet. She also mentioned that skin allergy test is not a subset of blood allergy test are not the same, and she had to do both with her kid. Her family and her husband's family donot have peanut allergy history.

We are going to get Benadryl ready for our weekend peanut sampling as suggested and perhaps with skin test 1st.

Thanks much again!

13. vharrison1969

Good luck, and I hope everything goes well! :good:

14. SC

SC Well-Known Member

We tried peanut butter midday on a weekday when both DH and I were home so that if anything needed to be done we were both here and doc's office was open (we did this probably about 4 months ago). All was fine.

15. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Just a reminder that most allergic reactions do not occur on the first exposure. A child's body needs to react to the substance, and that usually takes two-five exposures in order to occur. So a peanut allergy will not show up until the second, third, forth or fifth peanut butter and jelly sandwich. If you're concerned, keep the Benadryl handy for more than just the first bite. That said, first allergic reactions are usually (but not always) mild. My daughter Piper has a peanut allergy and it manifested itself on her fourth exposure. The reaction was mild, only hives and redness in her face. Benadryl fixed her right up. And now we carry an Epipen everywhere, of course.