CIO during teething?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by murtygirl, Jun 25, 2011.

1. murtygirl

murtygirl Well-Known Member

So my DD (10 mos) is waking every hour on the hour at night for the past week:( SHe is getting ready to pop a tooth so I give her motrin before bedtime and then 8 hrs later when she wakes (which of COURSe she is up!) . She doesnt wake up screaming. She will play and talk and I don't go to her... then 20 minutes later she starts the screaming, crying, gagging!! Is she in pain? Should I do CIO? Any advice? She was sleeping 12 hrs per night for months

Does Tylenol or Motrin work better for teething?? or is there no difference? TIA

2. Anneke

Anneke Well-Known Member

Sounds to me she is in pain and needs comfort. I would strongly advise against using CIO under those circumstances. Can you buy a soothing gel (I don't know the word, it is like ointment, but colorless) to put on her gums? Once the tooth comes out I expect she'll go back to her old sleeping pattern.

3. murtygirl

I know, that is my dilemma...I would never leave her to cry if I really thought she was in pain. But when she first wakes she is laughing and cooing. Then after 20 minutes of that she starts to cry. SHe is not fussy at all during the day either. And I give her Motrin at bedtime.

It also occured to me that she may be restless because she is going thru a big milestone (pulling up and crawling)...last night she only got up twice and was quickly soothed and beack to sleep (still no tooth, tho). So who knows?!?!?!? It may just be a phase...that is what my gut tells me now this morning:) HAHA thank you for your input!

4. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was also thinking maybe a milestone but since she is teething I would give in to her and cuddle/soothe her until the tooth pops through just to make sure. As for developmental things, I always let mine CIO during those times after a few days of cuddling to make sure they weren't sick/teething!:) Keep up the good work Mama!

5. murtygirl

Thank you for the support! You are sweet:) Nice to hear words of encouragement...

6. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

I always use Tylenol for teething. I was told Tylenol for pain and Motrin for fever.

That being said I find for some reason, who knows maybe I made it up :unknw:, that Motrin makes my kids crazy. They get restless and hyped up and sleep horribly or not at all so I try not to use it. Could you try Tylenol at bedtime instead?

7. murtygirl

[quote name='E's 3' date='26 June 2011 - 06:50 PM' timestamp='1309132242' post='1798373']
    I always use Tylenol for teething. I was told Tylenol for pain and Motrin for fever.

That being said I find for some reason, who knows maybe I made it up :unknw:, that Motrin makes my kids crazy. They get restless and hyped up and sleep horribly or not at all so I try not to use it. Could you try Tylenol at bedtime instead?
    [/quote]

interesting! I will try tylenol next time:)