Stopping bottles

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Eribour, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Eribour

Eribour Well-Known Member

Ok ladies, just wondering how to go about getting rid of bottles. My two are 10 1/2 minths and I would like to start cutting back on the bottles. They take 3 6 oz bottles a day (with solids) and 1 4oz with a snack. I also want to start with whole milk. The thing is, they will be starting day care in august and the day care wants their 1 year olds off of bottles. They start one week after the first birthday! My oldest transitioned in her own really.
    Also, wish me luck!!! I'm getting rid of pacis starting Monday!

2. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Around 11 months, switch the snack bottle to a sippy and cut the midday bottle. At 11 1/2 cut the morning bottle and replace with milk sippy. At 12 months, cut the bedtime bottle. Easy really. Mine were done by 12 1/2 months without complaint. Te milk intake may go down for a week or two in transition, but that's fine. I think it's much easier at the year mark than later on.

3. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

How do they do with sippies? For me, mine could all drink very well from a straw sippy around 10 months so I just started giving them a little whole milk in one to get them used to the taste and see if they had any reactions to it.
    When it came time to transition with the boys they were on 3 bottles a day that were given about an hour before their meals so I just moved meal time up and gave them a sippy of milk, doing 1 meal at a time. We cut lunch first, then breakfast, and last bedtime. It took about a week to get rid of all 3 and they were done by 11 months:) With Hannah she was/is nursing but basically the same schedule so on my work days I just had the daycare give her a sippy of milk with her lunch and next we cut out the bedtime nurse bc mornings are her favorite and after next Friday she will get no more nursing time in the morning either. She has done fantastic with it as well and honestly we would be done but I just want to make it to the 1 year mark with nursing;)

4. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes totally true and then it will pick back up:) My twins drank more milk from sippies than we could EVER get them to drink formula from a bottle!!!!

5. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Same here.