A painful topic

Discussion in 'General' started by twin_trip_mommy, May 10, 2011.

1. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

I finally got gas in my car today. I had been avoiding it driving on E with my light one for 2 days.

Thankfully I was able to check online and see where to go and where NOT to go for gas. I found the least expensive gas not far from home and it was on my way home so even better. It was $3.87 the most expensive in my area is $4.09 and these are both for regular. I live in New England on the border of NH and Ma.

What is the price in your area right now and where are you? Come on GRIPE with me. I put $40.00 in and it did not get past the 3/4 line

2. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I paid $4.60ish (doing the conversion) yesterday.

3. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

After just getting back from Italy...gas here is CHEAP! DH put 50 euros in the car, and that didn't even bring it to half! That's about $72 US dollars. The one thing is, they are diesel and it seemed to last a bit longer. DH put gas in my car, and it cost $40-for HALF A TANK! I'm glad I don't drive on a regular basis!

Oh, and gas ranges from $3.89-$3.99 and I'm in Western Ma.

4. twin_trip_mommy

OUCH! I think I will be crying when it gets that high here

5. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I put gas in my van last night because it was going up from 1.33 a litter to 1.39 a liter. So in US gallons, that translates to: $5.02 a gallon to $5.25 a gallon overnight. I dont go anywhere anymore. It used to cost me $48 to fill the Odyssey last summer, now it costs me $50 to fill half the tank.

6. Tamaralynn

I wish we were paying that!

7. Kendra

I think I did the conversion right. Of course I suck at math.

-
    -

Yeah, wrong - $5.20ish.

I went to the US on Friday and when I came back with only $30 to declare (I was shopping for capris and didn't find anything) the customs agent asked if I had bought gas and actually looked at my tank indicator (it was at half)

8. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

I live in the metro Detroit area and gas is about $4.27 cash and about $4.35 for credit. I try to fill up at Costco when I can, which is usually about 10 cents cheaper.

9. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

I'm in northern Mississippi and gas in my town is about 3.77. In other areas it's less. We bought it near the IL's house this weekend for 3.63.

10. Tamaralynn

haha that is funny and sad at the same time, the Customs agent that is. So did you guys jump 0.06 a liter there too?

11. missmomoftwins02

missmomoftwins02 Well-Known Member

At least$ 40 got u to 3/4 tank. I put$ 85 in last week and it made it to a little less than full...but the pump at that station cuts off at$85.

12. Kendra

Yep. I have to drive a Thurs - Sun for my volunteer job. Thank goodness mileage reimbursement came in.

13. missmomoftwins02

missmomoftwins02 Well-Known Member

Btw...regular is abt$ 4.30 for cash...10 to 15 vents more s gallon dir credit. I am so tempted to start pulling out cash for gas.

14. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

We are in the $3.90's here in southern Maryland. I only stop at Wawa or on base, they are always the cheapest. I think I paid $3.85 today and filled up for just under $50. The guy on the other side of the pump paid over $100 to fill up his van and was complaining about it. :eek:

15. Kendra

We don't have any differences between cash and credit transation (or for full/self serve for that matter)

16. Tamaralynn

It's ridiculous. Oil is going down, but gas is spiking

17. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

Our gas is about 4.15-4.50 (guessing a bit). And one station just upped where the machines cut off at $90. It used to be $60.

18. Tamaralynn

Gas is going up another 1.5 cents tonight, so it well be a little over 1.41 a liter or $5.33 a gallon

19. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I like in oil country and gas is still $3.70 a gallon :(

20. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think it's around $3.65 right now here, (so I pay $3.55 at Kroger with my card) but to be honest I don't pay a ton of attention to the final price to fill up. It doesn't cost a ton to fill up my Toyota, fortunately, and I stretch it out by using my Discover card all the time to get rewards for Shell gas cards (which accept Kroger cards as well).

21. TwinRichard

TwinRichard Well-Known Member

The price of petrol is still far too low (everywhere). That might be painful in the short term but the price of petrol needs to increase significantly both to cover the costs imposed by burning petrol (and diesel for that matter) and to make alternatives economically attractive.

The price of petrol here in this part of Sydney is about USD$5.94/US Gallon.

22. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

Oh how I wish I still lived in an area with public transportation. I hate driving, and I hate owning 2 cars. We survived for years with one car, then moved where commuting by bike or bus just isn't feasible. Sigh.

We're right at $4.00/gallon. I use about 1/4 tank every week.

23. Code

Code Well-Known Member

Doing the conversions here so may be a little off. 1 liter = 3.7 gallons. @ $1.54 L = $5.69 Aus. = $6.18 US. Hmm that sounds wrong. Although at $1.54L I am avoiding putting fuel in! But tomorrow I have to suck it up and do it otherwise I will run out :(

24. TwinRichard

That's about right (actually bit on the low side as 1 litre is 3.785 US gallons). Petrol prices here are (apparently anyway, I hardly ever pass a petrol station) about 10c/litre lower than Wollongong.

25. TwinPeshi

TwinPeshi Well-Known Member

Google is your friend

26. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Is it bad that I have no idea? I don't even pay attention. With my commutes (I alternate between two cities for work and live in the middle), I fill up at least twice a week with a 20 gallon tank. I think it's been in the $90+ range, but I'm buying high octane. I really have no idea what it costs. There is nothing I can do about it, so I don't pay attention.

27. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

3.97 per gallon here. Not to be the bearer of more bad news but expect to see prices at the grocery store jump soon.

28. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

Ours went from 3.90 to 4.10 from one fillup to the next. But I got it FREE with my Giant Eagle food perks. Woohoo!!

29. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Costco is $3.99 where I'm at. The other stations are generally $4.09. I put in $45 the other day and it got me over 1/2 tank, so I'm good for a week. I think I'm going to tell my husband to switch cars with me because the van gets better gas mileage than the Crown Vic, and he actually does more driving than me since I take the bus.

30. Katheros

This may be a stupid question, but how is a liter in Australia bigger than a liter in the US? In the US, a liter is about a quarter the size of a gallon. I admit I was never good with measurements in school.. :p

31. TwinRichard

A litre is about a quarter of a (US) gallon. We are just doing the conversion the other way round: 1/3.785 = 0.264 gallons or roughly one quarter of a US gallon. The US gallon is different than the imperial gallon though.

32. Katheros

Aaah, so it should read 1 gallon = 3.7 liters, gotcha. That makes more sense! I didn't want to be this person: http://failbook.failblog.org/2011/04/21/funny-facebook-fails-fuel-fail/ :lol:

33. TwinRichard

I see now that Codie accidentally reversed the units when she posted which I suppose would have been confusing if you were used to seeing the conversion the other way round. Just to confirm there is only one definition of a litre and that is a litre is 1 cubic decimetre (which is approximately the area taken up by one kilo of water).

34. Kendra

Was just looking at the gas prices web site and it went up over night. There is just something psychologically wrong with it goes past a 10 cent park. It is it 1.41 now in most places for both Slipper and me.

http://www.ontariogasprices.com/GasPriceSearch.aspx

35. twin_trip_mommy

What size vehicle tank do you have? I drive a pretty small vehicle (Saturn) that does not even hold my whole family. It has a 12 gal tank I think

We have public transportation but I would have to take a bus to another City that has VERY high crime and wait for another bus that would bring me home. There are NO busses that could bring me to work because I start to early. Soon I will be working overnights so I would have no chance to catch any bus on that schedule.