24 Homemade MUFFINS

Discussion in 'General' started by twin_trip_mommy, May 4, 2011.

1. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

YES! this is a GRIPE!

One of my girls brought home a recipe from her health class teacher. The directions were she had to make these muffins. 24 muffins

These muffins have to be brought to school Thursday. I went out today and bought the ingredients and it came to just about $25.00 I about :faint:

So my car is just about out of gas, it is Teacher appreciation week, Class picture week and I just had to buy all the ingredients for these muffins. Today was my only day off of the week, We have Church tonight and DH just called and said he was going to be home late (like probably 7:30 ish late so I have to make supper also. This is UNREAL!!!!!!

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Why does she have to make the muffins?

3. twin_trip_mommy

I have NO IDEA! This was what was what she shared with me when she brought the recipe home. She said "My health teacher said that I have to make these healthy muffins for class on Thursday" It is a full blown homemade recipe with 15 ingredients. I had only 3 of the ingredients in my cabinet.

4. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

So it works out to $1.04 per muffin. They better be delicious!

(And I have flour, yeast, and three types of sugar in my pantry, but wouldn't be able to bake anything since I have no butter.)

5. twin_trip_mommy

Not that the recipe is what the theme of this thread is I need to share all the stuff I had to buy

1 cup whole wheat flour
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 cup wheat bran
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 eggs
    2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
    1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 medium)
    1 cup buttermilk
    1/4 cup canola oil
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)
    1 cup granola

I had just
    cinnamon
    salt
    eggs
    canola oil
    vanilla extract

So 5 out of the 15 ingredients

If you are interested in making these muffins you can find the recipe HERE But be ready the cost of EVERYTHING has gone UP!

6. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That's crazy that she HAS to make them. I would've had 12 of the ingredients listed. :)

7. twin_trip_mommy

you're not all that far from me. I should have gone shopping in your pantry ;)

1 person likes this.
  8. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Next time. I always have stuff in for baking. It's a stress reliever for me and an activity for the kids. We all win.

9. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I have 13, 14 if you count that I would have made the buttermilk from milk and lemon juice. Actually, that list isn't outrageous, most of the stuff you only use a bit, and would use again. The only thing I would probably end up throwing out would be the wheat bran (although sometimes DH likes to put it in yogurt).

10. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have 10 at home (11 if you count regular-sized chocolate chips!)- I'm a baker, too. I'm pondering cookies or cupcakes today and have bananas ripening for banana bread later in the week.

11. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I had all but the granola and buttermilk... However the time it takes to make is what would have killed me. Let us know how they turn out :)

12. angelsmom2001

angelsmom2001 Well-Known Member

I would have sent a note in to the teacher that, I do not have the majority of those ingredients in my home and am unable to spend the money to purchase them. I would ask if there is some reason why she HAS to make and bring them in. Then I would ask how many other students are doing the same thing with the same outlay of cash.

I fully understand that teachers can't afford to make all kinds of stuff for students, but not all parents can either. I would explain to her that $25 is nearly a weeks groceries for us (only because it has to be...I am VERY careful when shopping), and I can't justify making muffins for school if my children will have to go hungry in order for it to happen. Its not like they can live on these muffins for the next week.

1 person likes this.
  13. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I have ten and I don't bake. :) We always pick recipes that call for unusual ingredients, though, so I have a mini spice aisle in my pantry.

14. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have everything on that list except the buttermilk (which, like Sharon, I would have just substituted milk & vinegar or lemon juice) and the granola.

Will she get a grade on the muffins or is it just for fun?

15. TwinsItIs

TwinsItIs Well-Known Member

Are you sure the teacher said she has to make them? Is it possible your daughter very badly wanted to make them and said that her teacher said she has to?

16. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Good question! I have one daughter that has done that to me before!

17. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

My son has done that to me before also! He got sloppy last time though and told me his teacher assigned him to bring MONSTER energy drinks to the class LOL!! Yeah right!!

I may use that recipe sometime it does sound good!

18. twin_trip_mommy

that is a good question "Did the teacher say she had to make them or does she really want to?" I do not know the answer. This is my very quiet, shy girl and doing this together will be a nice time for the two of us. I also think if they do come out well "SHE" will be a big hit in the class with her classmates. This is why I did not argue or question the making of them with her for her class.

This is a HUGE amt of money for us but I knew I was getting paid today for my Wednesday babysitting. Pretty much the whole check went to these muffins. She will not know this though.

I will let you all know how they come out

19. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Wow..weird that she would have to make them. Did any of your other kids have the same teacher/do they have to make them as well? Hope you guys have fun baking!

20. Heathermomof5

It will be money well spent. I am glad you got all of the stuff! And yes, let us know how they come out!!!

21. twin_trip_mommy

UGH! her twin sister just came in from school. I was waiting for this (not really)..... her healthy snack is supposed to be mini tacos. They are due on Friday :faint:

22. Heathermomof5

Are you serious!!!! Oh my goodness!!!! That'll cost ya!!

23. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

What the heck kind of snack time are they having in class?

A bonus with the baking stuff is that you'll only use a bit and then you have staples for other baking. Although, my family cringes when they see me buying baking supplies because I am a horrible baker.

24. Heathermomof5

Sounds like they are having the buffet!!! Is the teacher pregnant?LOL!!

1 person likes this.
  25. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I would call and see if you could double the muffins and have both girls help you... What the heck are mini tacos? :blink:

26. twin_trip_mommy

well yes one is

27. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I have everything but buttermilk (which I could make from milk and lemon juice) and wheat bran. I do have raisin bran. I'd be tempted to sub or pick out raisins. That's what it's talking about right? Bran cereal?

They sound like good muffins.

28. rrodman

It's health class, right? Sounds like they are trying to teach the kids about cooking and healthy recipes. I get the annoyance, but I think it's a great lesson.

29. twin_trip_mommy

They LOOK GREAT!

Once DH got home we talked about this other "healthy snack" and we found out the truth. They were able to pick a recipe from a list or choose a healthy family recipe. We talked to our other daughter and we decided together to layer a truffle dish with mixed berries and yogurt and top it off with berries and the granola we have left over from the muffins.

The Wheat bran is not like cereal. It is very light weight, tiny and sort of flakey. Not hard like cereal and not as fine as flour.

30. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

Does this teacher have children? I know that I was super naive about family life before I had one of my own. I can't help but wonder how many similar conversations my assignments may have created. :blush:

I'm glad you have a positive attitude about it though. It will be nice time to spend with your daughter(s) and something I'm sure both girls will enjoy.

I was also wondering if perhaps your daughter volunteered to make the muffins because it sounded like something she would enjoy, but the fact that her twin came home with the same assignment/different recipe makes me believe it is just as your first girl said, an assignment. Ugh. Those kinds of assignments don't seem like that big a deal for a teacher when they're thinking of the family doing it with one child. What the teachers tend to forget is most families have more than one child and things add up - referring to time and money. I speak from experience because even though I know have three kids of my own, I still sometimes forget to take all that into consideration. I try to plan things that cost no money, but the time factor can be big and that can strain a family as well.

Enjoy your time with each girl and let us know how they turn out!

31. rrodman

Ha ha. Who knows what I would have ended up with!