Swimming suits

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Beth*J, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

If you have a petite little girl, do you just have to accept that swimming suits will not fit their legs? Their skinny little thighs don't even come close to filling the leg whole. Is that just the way it is? It might be better with a swim diaper, but one of my girls really doesn't need a swim diaper any more and I hate to have the expense if we don't need them.

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

What size are you buying? I know for M she wears a smaller bathing suit than her regular size. Or maybe you can get little swim "boy shorts" for your girls.

3. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

I was looking at 3T because of the length. I'm not sure that 2T would be much better with leg size, but I guess I could look at it.

4. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Ditto this.

We buy a size smaller for one twin than she wears for the legs to fit right and not 'ride up' or gape open across the chest. We actually got a tie-back 3T -4T for my 5 yr old- it is a one piece that ties behind the neck for a sort of adjustable length. IT is perfect!

Also try different brands, we have had luck with cross-back suits to help stay on and 'ruffle' skirts on one pieces, they at least hide the fact that she did not fill it all out and looked cute! (old Navy runs narrow as does Children Place).

5. lovelylily

lovelylily Well-Known Member

I like the swim suits that are a t-shirt and shorts but out of swim suit material. They seem to fit a little better. I mainly get that kind because since she has no body fat, she's always freezing cold, plus it gives more sun coverage. It's a little loose on the bottoms but clings to her body just fine.

6. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

yeah, suits seem to all fit differently! I have 3T circo that is large, and a 3T of something else that fits perfectly, and won't fit all summer I'm sure.

I tried a 2T of a boyshort w/separate top, but the top is too skinny... so I'll have to take back and see if the 3t will fit. I love that idea of the tops that are tie ones so that you can tie it to the right size. great idea.

7. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I find that anything Circo from Target is absolutely HUGE!

8. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Try Lands End. THere swimsuits are the best. A little pricey, but I have yet to have one that doesn't fit perfect and they last, too. We have one suit that the girls got two years ago and just put it on yesterday that still looks great. This will be year three in that suit.

9. Buttercup1

Buttercup1 Well-Known Member

I agree with pp that Children's Place bathing suits fit well around the legs and Target brand Circo are huge. My peanut is 26lbs and I bought her 2 bathing suits, size 3T one from each place and there's a big difference.

10. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I use Landsend for the most part. Sarah's pretty skinny and they do sell slims and separates so you can get a better fit. (And if you get it and don't like it you can return at Sears with no problem).

Sarah either gets a tshirt type top or a regular swim top. Then on the bottom we tend to get swim shorts that have a built-in panty/bikini bottom that's attached into the shorts. It's like the bottom that's under a swim skirt, just part of shorts. We prefer the shorts over the skirts because if her legs don't quite fill out the holes, it doesn't show. Also, the life jacket has a strap that goes between the legs and it pulls the skirt up and looks funny and then the strap tends to rub on Sarah. If we get the shorts, they act as a barrier between the strap and her legs and there's no rubbing.

Marissa

11. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

The advantage of the bikini or tankini for little girls is they can were a smaller size and you don't have to worry about the length. Infact, my skinny girls wore their size two bikini from 2 to 5 years old! So I didn't have to buy a new swim suit until this year. Binikis are also tons easier for the newly potty trained little girl when wet.

12. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Agree with pp's concerning takinis, that is how my girls have worn the same swim suit 3 years in a row. Their little butts have really not grown much, just the length of their waists and legs, so the top part of the takini is a little shorter, but it still looks just fine. The bottoms still fit as they always have.