What did your little ones have for breakfast?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by amymarie3, Mar 26, 2011.

1. amymarie3

amymarie3 Well-Known Member

Milk when they first woke up (8 oz each)
    Yogurt with mixed berry puree stired in (1/4 cup each)
    Baby cereal with mixed berry puree and milk (split about 6oz worth)
    Frozen pancakes (1 3-4 inch each)
    Raisens, softened (1-2 tbsp each)
    Banana (1/4 each), Last thing they ate. I knew they were done when they started to rub it in their hair. :)

Mixed berry puree:
    1 giant strawberry, 3/4 c frozen blueberries, 1/2 banana
    Puree in blender and store in fridge for a few days.

Raisens:
    Put some in a small bowl with hot water and let soak for a few minutes to soften them.

Pancakes:
    2 cups regular extra fluffy pancake mix
    1 cup baby oatmeal
    1 cup apple sauce and banana puree
    4 eggs
    cinnamon and nutmeg
    milk until the right consistancy or more pancake mix if it is too runny

I make a huge batch of small pancakes and then freeze them.
    I stack 2 of them together on a small piece of parchment paper (not wax) and then stack them all together and freeze them.
    To thaw them I put them in the microwave on defrost mode until they are ready to eat.
    I spread either apple or berry puree on top instead of butter.

2. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

Wow. You are much more Suzy homemaker than I am. Mine had an eggo blueberry waffle, a 6 oz cup of yogurt, and about half of the special k that I was eating. They drank about half of their sippy of milk.

3. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

This morning mine had french toast casserole. You take 12 slices of bread, 5 eggs+1.5 cups of milk whisked together, 1/2 cup of butter, and some cinnamon (to taste). You pour the butter in the a 9x13 pan, layer with some bread, pour over some egg, add cinnamon and repeat until you are out of bread. I serve with maple syrup and breakfast sausage.

Tomorrow we are doing omlets for breakfast.

Weekdays we do blueberry muffins, waffles, and cereal for breakfast.

We serve fruit at each meal and it is usually banana, apple, cantaloupe or peaches.

4. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

My boys are still soy intolerant, so we are very limited on what we can give them as far as breakfast food, especially anything premade. They usually get either pancakes (made with Bisquick just like it directs on the box), homemade bread toasted (made to be soy-free), or homemade muffins (again, made to be soy-free). We always add to that some sort of fruit and milk, and that is usually as much as they want.

ETA: I can post recipes for banana muffins, pumpkin muffins, apple muffins, and orange blueberry muffins if anyone is interested. They are all purposefully a bit bland or low on sugar because I try to limit sugar.

5. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

Our boys are so fickle right now I can't imagine making them something from scratch just for them to throw it on the floor. They can love something one week, and then turn their nose at it the next, which is VERY frustrating. So we stick to frozen Eggo pancakes/waffles, frozen pre-cooked turkey sausage, or frozen Jimmy Dean ham and cheese omelettes. But we always offer them yogurt and plenty of fresh fruit too (strawberries, blueberries, grapes, bananas or mandarin oranges) so I don't feel too bad about giving them some processed foods too.

6. eagleswings216

Don't feel bad - I would feed them those things most days, too, if I could. It's just that most of them have soy in them. I am really, really starting to hate soy!! It would be so nice to just be able to warm up a few frozen waffles, but nope. Instead we make pancakes, bread, and muffins in batches and freeze them. Probably cheaper, but it takes time to make them, which is in short supply with me in grad school and two clingy toddlers.

7. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I usually do cereal, cheerios, fruit loops, corn pops, and toast with Jam then a yoguart or fruit. I cant do french toast or pancakes for William as he is allergic to egg. Nathaniel had a reaction to his vaccinations on monday, which they are grown on eggs, so I was told to stay away from eggs for him too. I am so not creative when it comes to breakfast. We do pablum or oatmeal some mornings too.

8. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

Wow. My girls usually have oatmeal with fruit puree, sometimes yogurt, Cheerios and fruit.

I'll make a batch of pancakes or muffins on the weekends. I would love to do omlettes but Lillie hates eggs.

9. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

I feel for ya. My SIL, niece, and nephew can't have gluten due to all testing positive for celiac disease. So she is in a similar boat and makes batches of gluten-free foods and freezes them. Though it is getting more popular for stores to carry gluten-free stuff (it just costs twice as much as regular stuff unfortunately).

10. amymarie3

amymarie3 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone.
    I got some great ideas.
    Eagle, you should definitely post the muffin recipes I never considered making them but am already planning to make a batch tomorrow.

11. eagleswings216

Sure! I will try to get them posted later today....most of them came from websites, which I think I still have saved and can post links for.

12. eagleswings216

Yeah, gluten-free is a pain AND expensive - my mom has a friend who has to do that. Soy is just a pain and I have to read all ingredients very carefully. Most "convenience food" has soy it in, which means lots of making stuff from scratch.

13. SC

SC Well-Known Member

Ditto! I have spent so much time preparing new and/or from-scratch foods just to have it spit out or thrown on the floor that I am sticking to our old favorites for a while.
    We usually do dry cereal, yogurt, toast w/ butter, string cheese, cereal bars, yogurt melts, and fruit. They do not both eat all of that. They'll usually each eat about 2-3 things and it can change by the day!

They are teething right now and are pretty much refusing (or throwing) everything except for cheerios, yogurt, and bananas. This morning it was a challenge to get a few cheerios/yogurt melts, 4 oz. of yogurt, and 1/4 of a banana into each of them.

Hoping easier feeding days are ahead!

14. eagleswings216

Here are some of the muffin recipes I have used lately.

Apple muffins: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Apple-Muffins-3/Detail.aspx
    (this is actually a diabetic recipe - very low on sugar, and also a bit bland. I don't mind the low sugar for the boys, but you may want to add a bit more if you think it's too bland)

Banana muffins: http://www.mama-knows.com/recipes/breakfast-muffin-recipes.html
    (they are number 3 on the page). These are fairly sweet, especially if your bananas are very ripe, so I usually cut the sugar back from 3/4 cup to 1/2 cup.

Pumpkin muffins (I got these from a website somewhere, but copied it into Word)

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin (from a 15 ounce can)
    1/3 cup vegetable oil
    2 large eggs
    1 teaspoon pumpkin-pie spice
    2 teaspoon cinnamon - divided
    pinch nutmeg
    1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Put oven in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Put liners in muffin cups.
    Combine flour and baking powder. Set aside.
    Whisk together pumpkin, oil, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 cup sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl until smooth, then whisk in flour mixture until just combined.

Stir together 1 teaspoon cinnamon and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar in another bowl.
    Divide batter among muffin cups (each should be about three-fourths full), then sprinkle tops with cinnamon-sugar mixture.
    Bake until puffed and golden brown and wooden pick or skewer inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
    Cool in pan on a rack five minutes, then transfer muffins from pan to rack and cool to warm or room temperature.

Blueberry Orange Muffins (these came from a recipe book)
    1 3/4 cups all purpose floue
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    3/4 cup milk
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    1/4 cup butter, melted and slightly cooled
    3 tbsp orange juice concentrate, thawed
    1 tsp vanilla
    3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries thawed (I plan to increase the berries next time)

-Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease or line 12 muffin cups.
    -Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl. Set aside.
    -Beat milk, egg, orange juice and vanilla in medium bowl on medium speed of electric mixer until well-combined.
    -Add milk mixture to dry ingredients. Mix lightly until barely moist (batter will be lumpy). Add blueberries. Stir gently until berries are evenly distributed.
    -Full muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake 20-25 minutes (25-30 minutes for frozen berries) or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.

Hope this helps!! One key to making muffins from scratch is do not overmix - mix just until moist, or your muffins will be tough.

15. brieh

brieh Well-Known Member

I still give my girls baby cereal for most morning. Sometimes mix it into the cream of wheat too. They aren't big meat eaters so the extra iron helps. Usually mix it with fruit puree or some banana. Also a few cheerios after or on weekends some pancakes. I love muffins. I do those in batches and freeze them for snacks. One thing I do with a lot of my muffins is add (substitute some of the flour)a 1/4c of wheat germ or bran or some other good grain. You can do it with most recipes and it doesn't change the texture too much. I figure if I'm making them from scratch I might as well throw some other goodness in there. It balances out the guilt when I'm in a hurry and bust out the animal crackers :)

16. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

Mandy, I feel the same way! Mine are good eaters but vary on the day what they are willing to eat. Eggos are a staple, as are bagels/cream cheese and any dry cereal.

Mine never liked baby cereal, won't eat oatmeal, and wouldn't touch a fruit purée with a 10 foot pole. I'm looking forward to the day when I can make a meal and we sit down and eat it, but until that day arrives we will survive on things that originate in a can or from the freezer. No guilt here, too busy to care!

17. Island

Island Active Member

We do organic, wholemeal, sugar free cereal with yogurt/fruit purée and soy or rice milk...

Then they toddle off to play and I leave toast (vegemite or jam) on the table for them to eat whenever they want.

At about 9am I put another plate of vege sticks (celery, carrot), olives, crackers and hommus out for them to munch on while they play :)

18. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Almost every morning of their lives, my kids get yogurt with fruit and cheerios. And if they're still hungry, a slice of toast with peanut butter. Austin is allergic to eggs, so we are limited in our options.

19. Chicklet

Chicklet Well-Known Member

My boys usually have TONS of fruit and a muffin or pancake, or cheerios.

We make pancakes on the weekend and freeze them for the week! Makes mornings so much easier b/c my girls will eat the pancakes too!

20. eagleswings216

Not to take this off topic, but do you (or anyone else with LO's around this age) give your kids raw veggies? I am still steaming or cooking everything, and I'm wondering if they are ready for uncooked veggies, like cucumbers, carrot sticks, etc.

21. Island

Island Active Member

i should have specified.
    i have two older kiddies who love the vege sticks. the twins do (slowly) eat carrot/celery but usually just lick the hommus off and continue to dip. they DO love cucumber sticks as they are soft and easier (and faster) to chew

another thing is that we are vegans.. so vegetables are a must!

22. eagleswings216

Thanks! I was thinking I may try some cucumber sticks this summer when I can get them really cheap from the local markets. Hopefully they will like them.

23. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

We mainly rotate through about 4 or 5 different breakfast choices:

Pancakes and ham
    Waffles and sausages
    French Toast and ham
    Scrambled eggs and ham
    Peanut-butter toast (when they were younger, now we do bagels)
    Cereal

And we always have some sort of fruit and milk with breakfast.

Mama is a "waffle snob" ;); I can't stand Eggos so I make huge batches of waffles/french toast/pancakes with whole wheat flour and flax meal (sometimes pumpkin!) and freeze them. They cook up in the toaster just like the store-bought kind. :)

24. shelbaz

shelbaz Well-Known Member

Breakfast is simple here. A piece of fruit (usually a banana), cereal (usually fruit loops), and yogurt. I alternate in a pancake or toast. that's it!

At 17 months, mine eat ZERO raw veggies. I have to steam or puree still. I think the hardness of carrots/celery is just too much for them. Hopefully by this summer when veg are cheaper!!

25. marleigh

marleigh Well-Known Member

Typically its a rotation of frozen pancakes, frozen waffles, cereal/fruit bars. Also sliced apples and pears. No bananas (they are too consitpated all the time). Once in a blue moon, they'll eat eggs and DD will have breakfast sausage.

I've recently tried warm oatmeal...they did ok...but still haven't mastered the spoon...what mess...not sure I'll do that again for a while. I'm afraid my twins will always eat with their fingers because I have no patience for them making a mess learning to use utensils. Oiy!

Since my twins are terrible eaters...especially DS, i started adding Carnation Instant Breakfast (sugar free kind) to their morning milk...diluted to 1/2 strength because it is so sweet. I'm always afraid my son is not getting enough nutritional value out of food. Give him pasta, bread or any other carb, and he'll gobble it down. he won't touch a vegetable at all...no matter how I serve it....he just squishes it with his fingers.

My twins are 19 months old.

26. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

I usually do what a lot of other people are saying...we make big batches of pancakes or waffles on the weekend and freeze them for weekday breakfasts. Everyone really likes the pumpkin waffles from Weelicious.

Pumpkin waffles

I have also been making muesli (the recipe is also from Weelicious, I use it a lot, lol) and it's a hit with 2 out of 3 of them (DD2 isn't too sure about it). It's supper easy and very filling. My girls still have a hard time with spoons so I have to help them out but it's thick enough that they don't make too much of a mess.

Muesli

27. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

I give my girls raw cucumbers and green peppers, but I still steam carrots since I worry about texture.

28. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

For breakfast mine typically eat waffles with a tiny bit of powdered sugar or a drop of syrup to dip, strawberries, grapes, kiwi (my kids are major fruit-a-holics) and Lil' Smokies. They have donut holes on Saturday mornings with my big two and daddy and cinnamon rolls (Pillsbury from a can) on Sunday before church. I realize I'm not up for mother of the year in the food department, but hey, I had four kids in four years and I do the best I can!