So tired of always hearing it!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by bellawillawyatt, Mar 25, 2011.

1. bellawillawyatt

bellawillawyatt Well-Known Member

Its just twins people! Every where i go with the twins thats the first thing out of peoples mouths. I even heard it from a woman once in line at Krogers who's 1 CHILD was acting a fool and screaming and pulling things off the shelf etc. I just smiled and said not as full as your's and finished checking out.

The other one that bugs the crap out of me is when people say "a boy and a girl thats the way to do it get it out of the way at once."

First of all I have another daughter 2nd it took 5 years and roughly 22K out of pocket to get pregnant and I don't feel like having children is something to "get out of the way". ARG

2. eventer80

eventer80 Member

I wouldn't be so offended at the "get it out of the way" comments. My husband and I are expecting boy and girl twins next week and are very excited that we are just having to do this once. We have said that to many people, so maybe these people that are making comments have other friends that were finished after one of each. I am sure they don't mean it in a derogatory way.

3. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Unfortunately you just need a thicker skin and you will get one. You will hear that so many times for years to come. Sorry you were offended. :hug:

4. JoannaD

JoannaD Well-Known Member

Your response to the woman made me LOL! That was great!

Today I got, "Poor you!" Are you kidding me? I wouldn't trade my twins for the world!

5. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

My twins are almost six and I still hear the "you must have your hands full" from people. I've even heard it from people that have 4 kids, all under 6 and to me, THEY have their hands full! It's all about perception, I suppose. You just gotta shrug it off.

6. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

That doesn't bother me at all--the hands full comment that is. I just reply, yes, I do. I do have my hands full running around with three kids under the age of 3.

I do understand how you can get frustrated hearing the same thing ad nauseum, but you'll get used to it. I bet within a couple years you won't hear the twin comments as much, especially with boy girl twins, people often don't put two and two together with B/G twins.

7. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I get it all the time too. It's just how people are. We may say the same to someone who has triplets. Or quads. Or seven kids. It may be a conversation starter. Who knows. It gets old, but you get used to it. I go out with all three of mine by myself all the time. My three are 19 months apart, so I have 3, 3, and 1 out and about. And 2 boys/1 girl. So I get the, "Oh, a perfect family-you got your little girl too." My family was perfect with or without a girl, or a boy for that matter.

And my boys look nothing alike, there is three inches and 5 lbs between them... No one EVER thinks they are twins. Well, because one is taller than the other. DUH! :laughing:

And the way I avoid most conversations is to stare at the floor when out and about! LOL!

8. TwinsInOkinawa

TwinsInOkinawa Well-Known Member

I always say "yes, but I get double the hugs and double the kisses!".

9. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

With 3 little kids, I *do* have my hands full - so I really don't mind that comment at all! :laughing: Please, acknowledge my amazing chaos. ;)

Try to let those comments roll off your back - we all have ones that really offend us - mine are all of the negative comments I get regarding the fact that I have 3 boys. Those tick me off, but the others - just let them in one ear and out the other. :hug:

10. lizzbeech

lizzbeech Guest

I got that yesterday!! A woman said "oh wow, twins?" And I said "Yup.". She goes "Glad it's not me".

Some people are just ignorant with stuff they say!

ETA: And ya -- I get that comment a lot too -- "you done now?" -and at first I would reply honestly and say yes... and now I've gotten so annoyed with people wanting to discuss MY personal sex life w my husband (haha), so now I say "Nope! We're hoping for another set!!!"

and watch people's faces..........OMG........It's hilarious!!!!!

11. bellawillawyatt

bellawillawyatt Well-Known Member

I guess its just so frustrating because of all we had to go through to get the twins. I know in my head strangers don't know that but I can't convence my heart to ignore them. I have just started to reply I sure do but they are such a blessing I wouldn't trade it for anything.

12. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Those comments don't bother me either because most of the time I do have my hands full. I also tend to give people the benefit of the doubt and think that they are really trying to be sympathetic to the two kids at once deal. It is hard for people to wrap their minds around two at once when they haven't done it before....especially older people who have been there with kids and understand how challenging they can be.

13. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It's annoying how common it is. It's amazing how many times you actually hear it. But yes, sometimes it bugs me, too. ;)

14. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

Normally the hands' full comment irritates me, too, but this week when someone said it, I responded totally differently.

Twin B has an earache, a fever that keeps spiking to 104 despite 36+ hours on anti-biotics and regular doses of ibuprofen or acetaminophen, and she wants nothing else than to be held while I sit with her - no reading, no singing, just sitting and hugging. Twin A, on the other hand, is a ball of energy. Twin B is taking a few steps independently, but she also loves to grab your finger and RUN with you through the house (and if you don't she throws herself on the floor screaming, legs kicking and flailing - but that's another story). Basically, my twins are on opposite ends of the spectrum this week.

Yesterday at the grocery store, someone said "it," and for once I responded, "you have no idea." In that moment, it felt good to get some sympathy from a stranger - someone I won't have to account to later. That said, I am sure when B is feeling better I will go back to my standard, "nah, they're REALLY good babies,"