what did you do with your infant carseats?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by w101ttd, Jan 25, 2011.

1. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

We plan on getting rid of stuffs.I don't know what to do with our infant car seats after we move the twins to convertable. I heard its illegal to sell or give away used carseats. Do what did you know? I really don't want to throw away those. Thanks in advance!

2. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

I just asked this very question on car-seat.org's Facebook page. If they give me an answer, I'll definitely pass it on. I think it would be safe to give the seats to a family member or close friend. One of our girls' seats came from an older cousin. I knew the seat was safe, and it was only two years old.

3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We threw them away. Sold the bases to someone else expecting twins, but tossed the seats.

4. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

We sold them. Check your state laws. It's not illegal here, and we actually sold them at a consignment shop. They had not been in an accident, and they were well within the expiration date.

5. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

I know because of recalls a lot of resale shops won't accept used seats. Are you planning on anymore kids within the next few years? If so I say keep at least one. If it's going to be longer give it away because they do have expiration dates. Usually five years. I haven't ever heard of giving seats away as illeagal. I can understand if they had been in an accident. I could be wrong though. If the girls are ready for convertables before June I plan to give my seats to my niece that is expecting.

6. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

I have been trying to sell mine on craigslist, without much luck (they are in great condition, so I want a fair price for that). They have not been in an accident, so I feel fine about that.

7. lisagayle

lisagayle Well-Known Member

We are giving our boy seat away to a friend and our girl seat we'll probably sell on craigslist or donate it.

8. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

One I sold to a friend and the other I sold on craigslist. I don't know if it technically illegal here, but none of the consignment shops will take them.

9. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

Babies R Us is doing their trade in event. You can get 25% off of something else you need.

10. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We gave ours to my SIL. I don't think there's anything wrong with selling them as long as they're not expired and have not been in an accident, but I think most people would be reluctant to buy used car seats from a stranger. You might have better luck with a local twins club.

We also handed down some of our toddler seats (we had four -- two cars), but one of them was expired by the time Sarah grew out of it, even though we bought it new.

11. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

My husband put ours at the end of our driveway, like we were throwing them away. By the next day they were gone....don't know who got them, but they were free.

12. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Thank you ladies! I decide bring them to babies rus to get 25% coupons then buy 2 marathons heheh. 150/each is the deal I can't ignore hehe :)

13. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I sold mine at a consignment sale, got about half of retail for them.

as for the BRU sale... there seem to "always" be 15%-20% coupons that you don't have to give up a used item for... so then you're really only getting 5-10% extra for giving them your seats. you can also give them an umbrella stroller or something I think and get 25% off of any of the items...

anyway, if you have the gumption to sell them, you might get more "bang for your buck"...

14. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

It's legal to resell carseats in my state too. I sold both of our Graco Snugride carseats plus 2 extra bases for a total of $80 at our Mothers of Multiples Resale joint yard sale last spring. They were in pristine shape (we rarely took our preemie boys anywhere) and I still had the manuals for the seats (little things like that help). I have had some luck selling things on CL, but its also common for people to make low ball offers (because its easier for them to do so behind an anonymous email rather than in person).

15. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

Wait a while and then re-list it. And if you still have the installation manual be sure and mention that in the ad. I also always say that those interested should email for a higher resolution picture (because CL shrinks pics down so much it hard to see any detail). I posted a baby bjorn carrier on our CL for $20. I included a picture, with the original box and user guide right beside it, and mentioned that it was hardly used because I found it difficult to put one of my twins in it since I couldn't pick up the other one up then. The first time I had not a single email. Then I re-listed it and the right person saw it and emailed me within a few days, and I got full asking price.

16. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

I sold one of mine on a twins sale through my moms club. I say sell but make sure it is not expired. I have one still unsold and I am just going to donate it to a women's organization here. The money is nice but it is also a really great item to donate so other babies have safe transport.

17. DeeJay

DeeJay Member

I'm getting seats and a double snap and go stroller for $100 off a friend of a friend. We are well within the expiry date and she assures me no accidents. Once we are done, I will pass them on to another expecting twin mom.

I'm very grateful to her for helping us out, as those are 2 huge expenses we can cross off the list!

18. Eribour

Eribour Well-Known Member

Babies-r-Us is doing a trade in right now. You can trade the car seats for 25% off of any other big baby gear (strollers, swings, pnp). Check their webiste for full list of trade in items. Plus if you ask they still do the multipals discount on top of the 25%.