Yogurt and Soy/Alimentum

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by JoannaD, Jan 23, 2011.

1. JoannaD

JoannaD Well-Known Member

When did you start yogurt with your babies if they were on soy or Alimentum? A little reading that I did mentioned that the milk proteins are broken down so much in yogurt that it doesn't bother babies on soy or hypoallergenic formulas, but I'd love to hear when you all started them on yogurt and how your babies did.

Thanks so much!

2. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

I waited til he was able to tolerate regular formula.

3. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

7 or 7.5 months. And my twins were on breast milk and alimentum.but yogurt was ok. My son got a bit milk allegric. But he grew out of it around 7-8 months.

I recommend yobaby.

4. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

One of my sons had a milk allergy, so he was on nutramigen until a year. Our doctor recommended trying yogurt first as a test case for dairy so we tried a spoonful at a time every couple of months.. 8 months, 10 months, a year. He always seemed to have digestive trouble with dairy until a year and hasn't looked back since. It sucked because yogurt is such an easy food for babies, but we just couldn't do it. Anyway, what I am saying is to try a spoonful and see how it goes. There is also soy yogurt... I didn't like the texture of it personally, but the kids did!

5. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Our boys were on Nutramigen until just a few days ago - they are now off of it an onto regular milk, thank goodness!! They could not take soy either because they were MSPI (milk and soy protein intolerance).

We tried yogurt around 7.5 months as a "test". It was a disaster. Not sleeping, stomach pain, extremely fussy, and bright green runny bowel movements. When we stopped the yogurt, it all stopped. We tried again around 11-11.5 months and they did great.

I would say you could try it in small amounts if you want and see what happens, just go very slow and be on the watch for problems. There's really no harm in trying as long as you discontinue if you see problems.

6. momof6

momof6 Well-Known Member

You can try goats milk yogurt. It is much easier to digest for babies and most people sensitive to cows milk do great with goats milk.We love the yogurt. Try to get whole not low fat plain. Plain whole milk yogurt has always been one of my babies first foods at about 6- 7months

7. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

You can try goat's milk yogurt or soy yogurt either one, but still be alert to problems and possible reactions. Our boys couldn't even tolerate goat's milk. It still has some of the same proteins in it, so for very sensitive kids, they may not tolerate that either.

We mostly use the Gerber fruit blends yogurt. One of the major pluses is it doesn't have to be refrigerated, so we can take it with us as a snack when we go places, which we often do. And it gives them some fruit at the same time, which I like.

8. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

ours were on soy formula till a year but we started yogurt and cheese around 7 or 8 months and they did ok with it...

9. kcur21

kcur21 Member

My DD had a severe milk allergy and we avoided all dairy (or at least we were suppose to) until given the green light at 2 years. We did try little things here and there and found several wierd exceptions, but we always did soy yogurt. She LOVED it, and then when we made the switch to milk yogurt she didn't notice or care, she was just glad to have a different kind than strawberry or peach! She was breastfed until 20 months and I ate dairy and it never affected her...allergies are so strange!