PTing and public bathrooms

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by katzmeaow, Jan 22, 2011.

1. katzmeaow

katzmeaow Well-Known Member

I am so proud that my DD is successfully being potty trained during the day and has officially been o.k. with going to bathrooms at our friends' houses and public places! Now the only catch is that today we were at the shopping mall and she wanted to use her "froggy" potty. It's the first public place that we've ever had to go in search of a bathroom. The department store we were at just had a family bathroom and no small toilets for kids. I ended up just changing to a diaper until we got home. I hated doing that because she actually did NOT want to pee in her pull up, but there was nothing else I could do since she did not want to use the adult toilet. It was like going backwards and I dreaded not having an option for her- since she's such a big girl now!

Is there a portable or disposable potty you may have tried that worked until your LOs were o.k. with using a regular toilet? I don't want to discourage her from public bathrooms because her little potty isn't available. What did you do?

Thanks for your help!

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Here's what we have and I LOVE it.

Portable potty

I got it for when we were potty training and using restrooms in public. It's AWESOME. I used to use it in the beginning when we went out in public-it sits right over the toilet seat in restaurants, etc-just like what you have at home. And what I also love, is that it can also be a potty itself, with the bags you buy to go with it. So when they were first training, and we were driving on the highway with no rest stops, we could pull over, and they could pee on the toilet. Totally awesome. Highly recommend it!

3. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

same! The Potette Potty! highly recommended!!!! I even use regular grocery bags in it (gotta make sure they don't have holes in them), and then put a sanitary pad in them to soak up the urine. much cheaper than buying the special refill bags. you can get sanitary pads on BOGO w/coupons... just keep an eye out for good deals.

use it a few times at home to get them used to it so that it's not something new. I haven't used ours in a while, but went to the park the other day and it was nice to just have our potty so close and not deal with the bathroom since I was by myself and mine are all over the bathrooms touching everything! I also get both twins to use it before I throw the bag out!

4. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

We had the same portable potty with my twins and I also loved it. Except as this was a few years back they did not have the 2-in-1 ones yet, ours was just the potty, you couldn't open the sides out to make it a toilet seat. It was great though, I used to walk them everywhere (or take public transport), so often we would be 20-30 minutes getting somewhere with no toilets around. Having the portable potty meant that if they needed to go we could just stop and get it out. Once they were done having the bag was not really any different to having a used diaper in a bag. And I also used to encourage them both to go at the same time to save on bags!

Eleanor has a folding seat similar to this one, but I haven't had to use it with her yet so I can't say how well it works. It seems like a good thing though, and it certainly folds smaller than the travel potty.

5. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

I used one of those folding seats something similar to what Zoe posted but mine was all white with handles on the side. My kids had no problem using the big potty though. All three of my kids had no problem using the small or big potty at home so it was no big deal to use public bathrooms. But that 2 in 1 potty sounds really nice.

6. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

We had the folding seat also and I LOVED it. Super compact and easy to use. One little note about it though...if they wiggle too much while they are sitting there, they might get pinched cheeks. Out of all the times we used it (A LOT!) it only happened to us a few times.

7. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

ours never had that issue because they ditched the little potty before they even trained...we used the potty ring at home until they were steady enough and they never had issues going in public...even with the automatic flushers - it just made them laugh!

8. twinnerbee

twinnerbee Well-Known Member

Ditto. They don't like going on regular toilets when we are out so usually keep this inside of a bag in my diaper bag. I never tried it with a bag because I've been a little nervous, but we've been lucky to usually wake it to a bathroom. They get excited when they see the "green potty" come out of the bag because we don't use it at home - it's their special seat for public places!

9. katzmeaow

katzmeaow Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info! I think this is exactly what we need. We will be getting it ASAP. We visited friends today and she wanted nothing to do with the toilet, luckily they still had the little one their daughter used before. It will be nice having the portable potty for days at the park and the beach!