Want to be carried down the stairs

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Fran27, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

They're almost 3! It's ridiculous! Any tip to get over this?

2. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

We are in the same boat. I haven't fought the battle yet, but I'd love ideas.

3. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

Do they know how to go down by themselves? Do they crawl down or walk down if they can do it on their own? I would tell them they need to walk on their own and just hold their hand as they are walking down. Then hopefully as you do that so many times then they will decide that they want to do it all by themselves.

4. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was making it a game when they would have their morning panic about going down the multiple flights of stairs.

"Who can go down the stairs like a dog?" "Who can go up the stairs like a race car?" "Who is crawling down the stairs like a baby?" After a while, they mostly gave up, occasionally I'll get the "carry me" up or down the stairs, but for the most part, I'm able to just coerce them up or down.

5. rrodman

Mine end up throwing a screaming fit on the stairs. They go up on their own but won't go down even though they are totally capable.

6. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I bark and meow at them, try to get them laughing. And since our stairwell is shared by five other families, I know that they're listening to A&R scream and carryon (as opposed to carrion because there *are* vultures on the building too) so I try to make it fun. Of course, if it gets too bad, I do pick them up and rush them inside or outside of the building, depending on which direction we're turning.

It is kind of cute when they're pretending to be dogs for all three of us to bark in the hallway.

Now my biggest problem is when they lollygag on the stairs and I have to pee. Do I leave them in the hallway? Do I pee myself waiting for them to hurry the EFF up? I leave them in the stairwell now.

1 person likes this.
  7. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Heh, I have the *opposite* problem; they insist on walking down the stairs (Jack) or sliding down on their butts (Nate) even though they are super tiny and my stairs are very steep. I have my heart in my mouth every time they do this. I'd rather have them go down backwards, but no dice any more.

Does asking them to go down like a big boy/girl help at all?

I still do carry my guys down together occasionally when they let me, but they are still pretty small (< 28lbs each) and I like the upper-arm workout. :p

8. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

[quote name='Nate and Jack's Mom' date='21 January 2011 - 11:50 AM' timestamp='1295628622' post='1750480']
    Does asking them to go down like a big boy/girl help at all?
    [/quote]

This is what I ask my kids and I tell them that big kids like they are walk and are not carried. I then make the distinction between them and my BF's new baby...I say "Baby E has to be carried because she is a new baby and she cannot walk but you can walk and you should because you are a big kid."
    Either they get tired of me talking or get the concept because we usually don't have a problem with not being carried.
    I also agree with Bex in making it a game. I find that when I make certain things I want them to do a game, they are more likely to do it.

Good luck!

9. rrodman

I try the big kid thing but Jack especially is not sure about the whole big boy thing. Apparently, it's not all it's cracked up to be.

10. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Ain't that the truth... <_<

11. rrodman

12. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

My kids don't care if I tell them to do things like a big boy or girl. If I ask them if they're babies they just say yes... Sigh, lol.

They go up and down the stairs very well, and do it all the time during the day (no gates), it's just when they get up in the morning or from their nap that they want to be carried. I usually just let them have their tantrum now... eventually they do get down I guess.

13. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. Add me to the "Are you a baby?" "YES" camp.

Then I ask, "Oh, does that mean you want to take 3 naps every day like a baby?"

Sometimes the answer is "NOOOOOO!" but sometimes it's still a smart alecky "Yes." <_<

14. melissak

melissak Well-Known Member

well, mine are almost 3.5yrs and still insist on being carried down the stairs. The excuses are "My feet hurt" "My legs hurt" "My belly hurts" and the list goes on. I refused the other day and J threw a major tantrum screaming fit at the top of the stairs for 45 min. It was painful but I had to ignore him and after he was done, he got up and was as happy as a clam. You just have to put your foot down and make them walk. They may throw a 45 min tantrum but they will learn! Mine are getting way too heavy for me to tote around everywhere. If they had their way they would be carried everywhere and sit on my lap at all times. UGH.

15. traci.finley

traci.finley Well-Known Member

It is simple ... just have another baby =) Ha ha ... that is the only thing that helped over here ... I have to carry Caroline because she is a baby and can't walk ... they fussed forever about it then finally just got over it and walk up and down most of the time ... there are times when I have to take two trips (one with C and a twin then the other twin) and that sucks bc we have a 3 story house ... but for the most part, they walk ... now ... however ... then there is that little matter of having a whole nother kid to take care of ...

16. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Bumping this, seems I've found a solution, with DD at least... I'll ask her if she wants me to hold her hand and it usually works.

17. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

That is brilliant!!

I just broke mine of wanting be carried because I am pregnant and can't!! But it took me not being able to before I broke them!! I love Bex's i way!!!

18. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

19. betha

betha Well-Known Member

Hi, we live in a tri-level and have the same issues. Sometimes they really like to be big kids and do it on their own. Other times, they screech and compete for who gets carried up or down. They are too heavy for me to carry both of them. For us, counting stairs can help. They love to count, so I will ignore their pleas and start counting loudly with a smile. They will buy into it part of the time. Holding hands also works on occasion. I haven't made a rule for no carrying yet, but I may get to that point.

20. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

I still end up carrying them, too. They are pretty good about going up or down when it is on their terms, but when it is because I have just gotten them out of bed in the a.m. - they only want to be carried! No solution except that at some point, my oldest DS was cool with walking down the stairs - and they will be too. Doesn't help my back though! :laughing:

21. Christel

Christel Well-Known Member

I am so mean, I just leave them on the stairs and go on down. Eventually they get tired of standing there and follow. I've never had anyone fall on the stairs yet.

22. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with 2 year olds who don't want to go up and down stairs on their own! (Part of the time; Will's better about it than Alex.) I've gotten some strange looks and comments from singleton mom friends who seemed surprised that they weren't both just walking up and down the stairs by themselves with no help. :p Hah!