Human Cheese

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by E&Msmom, Jan 18, 2011.

?

Would you eat human cheese?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    57.9%
  3. Maybe

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

HERE is the article. I personally think it would be interesting to see what it taste like[​IMG]... I think this would be great as a first cheese too for babies/toddlers.

I wish there was a way to link this too the MILK topic I just put int he twinstuff forum...

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i would totally try it!

3. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

I thought about it before but haven't tried to make it yet heheh.my dh thought I was crazy. Its interesting

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think it's neat but I also have a (small) part of me that's grossed out by it. I'd probably try it.

5. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

To me there seems to be something intimite about breastmilk--I know it is cultural. I read an article about an American mother who lived in Mongolia. Their it's not uncommon for others to drink human milk if the mother has a surplus. But to me it's kind of like kissing. My milk is for my babies. Your milk is for your babies. But I have fed another baby--DH's cousin's baby who is two months younger than Drex. And my SIL has fed all three of my babies on several occasions. So, I would feel strange eating human cheese. It would be like kissing a stranger.

There is also an indigenous community near where I live that extends that view to cows--they raise cows for meat, but do not milk the cows because "that milk is for the cow's babies and it's not our right to take it." (but it's fine to kill their daddies for a burger!)

3 people like this.
  6. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

This. Barring an emergency of course.

7. w101ttd

Hahahahaha thanks for a good laugh hahaha

8. momof6

momof6 Well-Known Member

I would try my cheese but no one elses! I think my kids would eat it.. not my older kids, they would be grossed out! Good thing they don't know I have given them breast milk when they were not feeling well...disguised of course with a bit of regular milk! They were glad to be feeling better so fast!! SHHHH our secret!

9. w101ttd

I don't know why we are groosed out of breastmilk really. We drink cows, goats milk.

10. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

Actually thinking about breastmilk cheese kind of grossed me out on any cheese. When I think breastmilk, I think suckling, so from there my mind jumped to suckling from a cow and yeah--GROSS!

11. KeriU

KeriU Well-Known Member

Does giving breastmilk to your older kids really work when they are sick. I seriously contiplated it last week when my three year old was sick, but I wasn't sure it would do any good so I didn't.

12. w101ttd

Does it work? My dh is so sick. If it does. I will sneak some in his cereal lol

13. KeriU

KeriU Well-Known Member

What he doesn't know won't hurt him any. :laughing:

14. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

Hey, the antibodies are good for anyone! :laughing:

I can't imagine human milk cheese tasting very good. Breastmilk is just too sweet and sugary for cheese in my book.

15. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

I eat steak from a cow. I wouldn't eat human muscle, though. Barring a dire emergency, of course.

16. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

well, that's because to eat human meat involves the moral dilemma of having to kill the human first (although, i imagine there are a number of people who would argue that that same moral dilemma occurs with killing animals to eat them too :unknw:). outside of that, our aversion to eating other humans is cultural. :stir:

17. Anneke

Anneke Well-Known Member

I've been a vegetarian (no meat, no fish) since I was 13 or something, but honestly, now I know what pumping feels like... Well, let's just say I try to avoid dairy now. We all think it is so normal to be drinking milk from another species whereas in reality cows are separated from their babies way too early and attached to milking machines to produce bottles and bottles and bottles of milk for us. So sad.

A few months ago when my fridge and freezer were still packed with breastmilk, my father poured himself a coffee and asked if there was no REAL milk at home.

18. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This is what I was thinking...I have never tried my own (or anyone else's for that matter) but my sister had to try hers once when she thought it was spoiled and she said it taste like melted soft serve ice cream!

19. MeredithMM

MeredithMM Well-Known Member

I can totally see why people wouldn't want to try it, but I'd try it just because I would be curious. Like people have said, breast milk is so sweet. But I wouldn't eat it, as in sit down and actually have some with crackers or something.