Anyone using Baby's Only formula?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by mariam54, Jan 14, 2011.

1. mariam54

mariam54 Active Member

Hello!

My milk supply ended :( . For a while, I used Earth's Best and both babies had problems with it (DD gas, DS projectile vomiting). While I was looking for alternatives (organic), I found out that they use hexane and bleach to extract DHA/ARA from algae and soil fungus. The only one without DHA/ARA is Babys Only ( that I could find). I use their DHA/ARA supplement because they use a water process to extract it from eggs. Now, this formula makes my DD constipated and I heard that I can give her probiotics to help with the digestion-I have to ask their pedi.
    I don't know if this hexane method will hurt my babies, but I want the safe road.
    Anyone in the same boat? Any recommendations?

Almost forgot: My DD had projectile vomiting on Earts Best, Similac Neosure, Alimentum and other soy one (we suspected allergy to dairy). It stopped when I used Baby's Only!

Thanks!

2. murtygirl

murtygirl Well-Known Member

Sounds like it works for you! I haven't heard of that formula, we use Enfamil Gentlease which has totally cured my babies fussiness and gas. It does have the DHA/ARA in it, but I wanted it for the brain and eye development.

3. christy.fisher

christy.fisher Well-Known Member

We tried to Lactose-Free Baby's Only but discovered that Claire's problem wasn't lactose so we ended up on Alimentum. When using the L-F Baby's Only though, her diaper rash got way worse and her poop was the foulest it has ever been. I gagged the whole time while changing her diapers. It was horrible.

If that method works for you, go for it. It's a choice you have to make; we can't protect them from everything. :( They are exposed to toxins just from breathing the air. I personally, as I did, would go for the formula that makes them the most comfortable.

4. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

This is a little gross sorry. When you say constipated do you mean she cannot have a BM at all? Or is it thicker and harder? Small little hard as rock balls? I know it's gross sorry. The reason I bring it up is because her body might be trying to adjust to the formula. Also formula fed babies don't poo several times a day like breastfed babies. Their stools can be thicker too. My DD2 was bottle fed from birth and only pooed every two or three days in the beginning. Her doctor said that was normal for formula fed babies. I think I remember the nurse telling me it has to be tougher than the consistency of play-doh for them to consider it constipation.

5. mariam54

mariam54 Active Member

It is thicker and harder. I stopped giving her Polyvisol, and now the BM is normal. Maybe the iron in combination with this formula disturbed her stomach.

6. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

The iron could cause her constipation. I would talk to the pedi and see what they recommend. Hopefully you can continue with the Baby's Only formula since it helps with the vomiting and find an alternative for the iron. I know formula comes with and without iron. Maybe they have some without iron as well. Good luck!

7. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Polyvisol with iron and without iron, you can buy the without iron one. They need formula with iron though. Don't give her formula without iron without talking t your pedi first.

My son used to be like that. We put him on similac alimentum. He could poop daily. Alimentum kindda gives him diarreah abit (its supposed to). We switch him to good start at 8 months. Now he poops so much every day.some babies just need longer time for their digestive system mature.