When Is It Too Yucky to Play in the Snow

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cat mommy, Jan 12, 2011.

1. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

We are having our first snowfall! It's about a foot so far of the light fluffy stuff. And I want them to play in it (not just go on a stroller ride).

But it is windy! 15 mph winds right now, gusting up to 28 mph. I'm thinking that just might be too much wind for the kids. They are 14 months so they can't really tell me if they are too cold. Would you stay inside or head out?

2. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I wouldn't in the wind unless your yard is sheltered. We took our kids out on a slightly windy day their first time in the snow and they didn't like it at all because they kept getting snow in their face. The next time we took them out when it was calm and sunny and they had a ball!

3. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I might take them out just for a few minutes. But, even when it wasn't windy, mine didn't really like the snow until they were around 2 and could actually walk in the snow without feeling unstable. When they were younger, I think it just freaked them out.

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It depends...if it's really windy and the temps are really low then I will keep the kids in.

5. shelbaz

shelbaz Well-Known Member

My 15 month olds do not care much for the wind and snow. especially when it is powdery snow that can hit them in the face. Mine don't love being all bundled up either, snowpants, big coats, mittens. it is more crying and fighting than actually having fun. I have pretty much given up. They do love being carried around outside to LOOK at the snow though. So maybe it is the wind and unsteady walking on snow that frustrate them so much at this age?

Hopefully this gets better... we live in Wisconsin, so they better learn to love snow/cold eventually! :)

6. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

This is the same experience I've had with my boys. Occasionally I could bundle them up last winter and go outside, but it had to be pretty sunny and calm. If it was windy or blowing they didn't like it AT ALL. We tried a sled last year too, and it just ended in screaming meltdowns. :(

This year we got the sled back out and they had a blast! :)

7. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

Last year we took them out just for a photo op and they did really well but it wasn't too cold. This year we haven't tried yet because I felt it was too cold so I'm waiting for a 30ish degree day. I think it depends on the windchill whether you decide to do it or not.

8. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

Thanks! You guys made me feel better about my decision to stay inside. Today is chilly too, so maybe tomorrow will be a nice day?