American Idol Season 10 (2011)

Discussion in 'General' started by twinstuff-old, Jan 11, 2011.

1. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

Despite a very lackluster season last year for American Idol AND despite the departure of Simon Cowell and heck, even despite the departure of Kara who never really bugged me that much, I guess our family will once again watch AI this year when it premieres with auditions Wednesday, Jan. 19. (won't even mention the quick departure of Ellen DeGeneris who really brought nothing to the show)

Obviously the new judges of Steven Tyler and mom of twins J-Lo will bring a new twist to the show - hopefully they don't stink as judges. I'm trying to figure out the role of a record producer Jimmy Iovine? (reading an LA Times story just now, I think he's actually a permanent mentor to contestants?)

They are back to three judges (remember, last year they had four) and this year opened up the competition to 15 year olds. The audtions were in seven cities (Austin, Texas, Nashville, Milwaukee, New Orleans, East Rutherford, NJ, San Francisco and Los Angeles) and they also let some contestants audition via MySpace. There are also some online rumors saying finalists will have to make a music video and do some other types of singing or dancing challenges although I'm not sure if that's definite or not. Supposedly there's also a Las Vegas round (top 60 contestants were whittled down in Hollywood then those five dozen singers were taken to Vegas where they sang Beatles songs and cut it down to 40.) Then they went back to Hollywood to get it to 20 and voting by America will take them down to a final 10 or final 12 (depending, I guess, on how many good contestants are left).

Idol hasn't had a winner go on to any real success for at least four years and arguably the most talented contestant in the last five years (Adam Lambert) didn't win when he was a finalist two seasons ago so I'm happy to see at least a willingness to try some new things. Although it will all come down to the quality of the contestants. Hopefully it's better this year than in recent years.

Anyone else still looking forward to the new season of Idol?

2. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Um, duh, YES!!!!! :lol: Ryan, Jennifer, Randy, and *sigh* Steven were on Leno last night. They seemed to have great chemistry and I am slightly optimistic for the show after seeing them interviewed together. Of course, I would probablynotbe nearlyas excited if were not for ST, so take my glee with a grain of salt! ;) I am still pretty nervous about ST as a judge but I know he knows music and am hoping this will translate well too. He's also funny, smart, and talented. J-Lo is so likeable that I think she will be an asset but I also think she may be slightly more articulate musically than any of the other female judges except for Kara (whom I will actually miss). And of course, the whole thing will be odd without Simon. :wub:

Anyway, I am looking forward to the new season, something I thought I would not feel before the announcement of this panel. So, bring it on!

3. twinstuff2

twinstuff2 Well-Known Member

I'm sure we'll watch but to me the show will be made or broken based on the strength of its competitors and not the new judges or format. I actually thought that while last season was painfully boring, the two ones before that both had some strong contestants and were enjoyable.

By the way, Simon Cowell's new show (the X Factor) should be announcing its new judges shortly although one of them is probably going to be Cheryl Cole who is on the show in Britain currently and should quickly become a US favorite. That show is scheduled to debut on Fox on 9/11/2011 which seems to me to be a bad date to debut a new show.

4. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I was just coming to post about the new season!

I'm actually excited about the new season and the new judging panel. I don't think J-lo's gonna pull any punches and ST, well - that's just going to be fun to watch! I hope they get better people this year. Last year was weak. Then with Adam not winning the year before [​IMG] but hopefully new talent comes out with the new judges. They have far more star power than before! I am not a huge fan of J-lo's music, but I like her in general. I have a guilty soft spot for her movies :tomatoes: and her glam will be fun to watch as well!!

I'm looking forward to it for sure!!! :woo:

5. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

I heard AI will be a take on X Factor. The contestants will have to prove they are the full package with acting and stuff like that. They also can perform their original songs.

I will give it a shot but not sure how long I will keep watching for.

6. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I'm going to watch again this year. I have my doubts as to how it will be, but I'm too curious about the new judges and all that to not watch. :lol:

We'll just have to watch and see!

7. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

I am looking forward to this season. I think the expert advice will be really good and I am looking forward to ST bringing something to the rock contestants! They often have so much talent so it will be good to have someone like that as a judge.

8. Mama_Kim

9. twinstuff-old

Wasn't Bikini Girl two seasons ago? Not like I'm a fan of her or anything, but just saying...

10. Mama_Kim

OK, I am seriously in Tyler heaven right now: Letterman last night, Regis & Kelly this morning, Jimmy Fallon tonight. :D

11. Mama_Kim

12. jen8675309

jen8675309 Well-Known Member

Well, what does everyone think? I am pretty excited about this season! Steven Tyler is really funny! I think they have good chemistry! I do have to say, though, that I miss Simon terribly! [​IMG]

13. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

A little behind because I DVR'd...but who's gonna be mean??!! I mean, brutally honest like Simon..I miss him too.

14. twinstuff2

Watching Idol in high def for the first time this season and as Landry said right away, Steven Tyler is gross. But I have to say, I really liked both him and Jennifer Lopez as judges. Jennifer Lopez reminds me of a sweeter, more coherent Paula Abdul. I'm not sure if there were any knockouts tonight - I guess a couple have potential but that's about as far as I would go. My favorite audition was actually the final one of the show - Travis Orlando, the 16 year old twin from the Bronx.

15. Mama_Kim

I will admit to missing Simon a bit (made a Freudian slip on FB and said kissing instead, lol) but I think the three judges have great chemistry together. I love, love, love Steven. :wub: And J-Lo was very cute. Steven said, in one of the multiple interviews I saw in the past few days, that he got the hang of it as they went along and got tougher. We'll see. But I am in Tyler heaven and loving every minute of it! :D

I didn't see any contestants that wowed me like Adam did but I've got to throw that impossible standard out this season. There were a few promising kids though.

16. twinstuff-old

I liked the new judges a lot more than I thought I would. Steven Tyler was really funny and original. His knowledge of music shone through for me. I'll agree with my brother's assessment of J-Lo, sweeter without the medication issues (or at least for one night she seemed totally down-to-earth). I liked how she asked the last guy about being a twin (or maybe I read more into that dialogue than I needed to). The chemistry between the judges seemed stronger too. Not having Simon around will be a minus, but he wasn't there (in spirit) for much of Season Nine either.

I guess there wasn't any knockout performer tonight, but there were a bunch I'll remember. My sons liked the 16-year-old Victoria from North Carolina and she had what we saw in several contestants, personality. (I thought she handled the judges teriffically) I think my favorite singer was the early guy they showed who had Steven Tyler singing with him. I'm guessing with 50+ singers who made it through that we didn't see some of the better performers from Jersey as they did focus more on singers who also were comfortable with the judges.

But if the goal tonight was to re-make Idol and make it relevant again, then I'll say that focusing on singers who interacted well with the judges and allowing us to see the new judges and their style was a good idea and makes me interested in seeing where it goes from here.

17. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

What about the girl from Springfield, Ma?!? Lol! That's where I am from. She was Ashleigh I believe...they said no to her because she belonged on Broadway, but she cried her way to Hollywood. Now I will need to look for her at the mall! :laughing:

18. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

I liked the judges more than I thought I would but the group of people that went through not so much. I only liked the last kid. The southern girl annoyed the poo out of me.

19. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Love love loved the show! I don't usually watch the early auditions, but I won't be missing it this year!

Steven (may I call him that, Kim?) was hot and funny and I love how he got into it! WOW! A MEGA-SUPERSTAR just rolling with it! Awesome to see! :wub:

J-lo! She's perfect for it! i think she's perfect for it! She's also a huge MEGA WATT superstar and she was SO SWEET! (CRAIG, I do think they had "twin" talk at the table there!!) :wub:

Randy's trying to be the heavy (no pun intended) and it'll get different week to week I'm sure!

LOVED IT! Loved the last guy!!!

20. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I agree with all of this. :good:

I wish we could vote Randy off. :blush: He is trying to hard and he just can't over power Steven or Jennifer (I still like J.Lo better). Never was a Randy fan but now even moreso I am not.

21. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Liked the new judges way more than I thought I would. And, to be honest, I liked that no one was mean to anyone. I didn't miss that part at all. I think it might just be a good year! :good:

22. Mama_Kim

Diane, you may! ;) Steven is freakin' adorable. I'm so glad he looked great and was his honest, funny self. I adore him. :wub: J-Lo is also adorable. Great chemistry! And Iike Randy too. Always have. He just can't play the heavy. (Randy and I share a birthday. :D )

As far as the twin talk, Steven's ex-wife Teresa is an identical twin. :) Those boys were so sweet and born 15 minutes apart like mine!

OK, so the judges are going to be awesome. I just hope they can find some talent. Adam has forever ruined me!

23. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it! There were a few parts where I was laughing so hard I was crying. ("Did you eat a lot of paint chips as a child? :rotflmbo: ) And like most everyone else, I wasn't really wowed by anyone, except the last guy.
    I actually like Randy more and think there was much better chemistry between the three of them. Steven was hilarious and Jennifer was sweet.

I'm excited for tonight when they are showing the auditions from NOLA!

edited for typo

24. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I liked it a lot, too. I do think someone needs to be the heavy like Simon was. And I did notice her asking him about being a twin.

25. Mama_Kim

26. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

I really like the new judges. Steven Tyler was hilarious. I wasn't too excited about this season, but the judges have me hooked.

27. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I loved it too. I never really watched Idol before this season but now I am hooked!

Also really looking forward to the New Orleans auditions tonight! It would be worth auditioning and looking like a fool just to meet the judges!

28. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I thought about that too. :blush: :blush: I just don't have the "balls" to pretend I like how I sing. :lol:

1 person likes this.
  29. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

I really loved the judges much more than I thought I would ! I can't remember laughing so much (and NOT at the bad contestants) but at Steven and JLo. HE was just adorable ! (of course he's NO Rick :)) I can see why Kim adores the man. Frank and I were both discussing how we had never gotten to see the real Steven Tyler and this is really letting us get a glimpse of who he really is. BUT we could do without his little "screechy" thing .. that might get annoying after a bit.
    But, yeah, we really enjoyed it and can't wait for more !

30. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Oh Come on! You DO TOO!!! :good: LOL!!!

For me, the judges are overshadowing the talent on the first night. We'll see if that changes after I get over my star-struckedness!! LOL!

Looking forward to MORE! I also love the no bickering/fighting thing! I still love the Dawg!

31. Mama_Kim

You have no idea how happy it makes me that the rest of the world is seeing what I have known and loved about him for so long! :wub: As for that little screechy thing, it's made him famous. :lol: I think he was just excited and happy and totally pumped. He may calm down, but knowing Steven, probably not! ;)

Yeah, that could be a problem if I am tuning in just for the judges. :eek: However, I tuned in mostly for Simon over the years, with the exception of the brilliant, unsurpassed Adam. :D

32. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

This season is starting out to be everything I thought it would be! LOVE! :wub: Good assessment Di!

33. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

:wub: Thanks!

34. twinstuff2

I was going through some news stories and one of them mentioned there are actually 50 people who went through (not 51 as the show said). The very first girl they showed (the one who sang Halleluah in an operatic voice) has since dropped out of the audition process to attend college instead. American Idol's web site has interviews with all 50 if you're interested.

35. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

After finally watching all of it, I really liked the chemistry of all 3. Looking forward to watching this the entire season, think they will do great.