Do you wake them up in the morning?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by MrsBirch, Jan 7, 2011.

1. MrsBirch

MrsBirch Well-Known Member

Hi Ladies

I'm curious if you would wake your LO's up in the morning or let them sleep until they woke up?

Mine are 9 mths old, most mornings they are up between 8 and 8:30 and we go from there and stay relative close to our schedule. But some mornings they have been known to sleep until 9:20, they did this today and the last time was Christmas day...and this messes everything up.

I don't set an alarm, I use them to wake me up. Honestly when I have set it to get up before them I end up pressing snooze until one of them wakes up anyways.

2. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

NO I don't. I encorage them sleep more. Sleeping is growing for babies also. We have flex schedule.if they wake up late, we flex schedule to fit in that day. If they start waking late often, we change our schedule. If they still sleep, it means they need it.I never wake them up at this age.

Some growth spurs, they eat eat and eat and grow. Some growth spurs, they don't eat much but sleep sleep and sleep and grow. That's what I observe from my kids! But this is us. Some mommies have strict schedules. And they do wake their babies in the morning. It depends on you actually

3. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

Usually we don't have this problem...they are up around 5:30, on the odd day 6:00. There have been a few days that they have slept in and I used to cap it at 7am. If they were still sleeping at 7am then I would wake them up otherwise the whole day was thrown off. Now that they are down to one nap they can sleep in as late as they want (not that that's happened though ;)). My routine is very important so I try my best to stick to it.

4. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

I have almost never had to wake our boys up....they have been early risers forever...usually they are up by 6am. I would think I'd died and gone to heaven if they slept until 8am! I can see how it would really throw off the routine if they sleep that much later, though. I would say if you don't have any plans that day that would cause a problem, then don't wake them.

5. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If mine aren't awake by 8:15 I will wake them pretty gently.. turn on the low light and turn the radio on or something. It doesn't happen all that often, but I don't like to have my schedule thrown off too much or it makes for a weird day!

6. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I dont wake them. Babies sleep for a reason. I figure if they are sleeping in, they need it.

7. southernmommy

southernmommy Well-Known Member

nope, I never wake my kids unless we need to go away and I can't postpone it.

8. JoannaD

JoannaD Well-Known Member

I wish I had the chance to wake them :lol: My guys usually wake between 6-7am. They'll sleep until 7:30-7:45 some days, but that's usually after being awake for several hours overnight. I keep hoping that they'll turn into 8am babies :lol:

9. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

I've never had to wake both of them. I have woken one if the other gets up at the normal wake-up time, but I usually give the sleeper at least another 15 minutes. I think I may have had to do it twice. Usually, they wake me.

10. 2xjoy

2xjoy Well-Known Member

:laughing: me too!!!

11. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

NO! LOL! Not unless I had to! I wish they would have slept that long! Lucky you! I would say if you want them close to schedule, I would maybe wake them up by 9 am. If they wake between 8/8:30, then 9 is only a half hour off(assuming it's 8:30 they usually wake). I say enjoy it! We went through stages where they were waking before 6 am! No thanks! Now we have, knock on wood, all of the kids waking up around 7:30 am. I can deal with that!

12. murtygirl

murtygirl Well-Known Member

I may be in the minority...yes I wake my DS and occasionally DD at 7:45. I like my schedule/routine and if I do this it allows for a little of "me" time in the evenings, which is also important!! I feel my babies get PLENTY of sleep. They are down for the night by 6:30pm so they are getting a solid 13 hours, not counting their naps. I also feel they don't need to go any longer without eating, so I wake them. 7:45 is when we "start" our day, I have a 3to DD as well, and am a SAHM. Depends on you mommy, and if you think your LO's are getting enough sleep! :D

13. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

I never wake them up as babies. All of mine were early risers. It's not until this past year that I have had to wake my 5 or 3yr old up a couple times because DS goes to preschool. Mine twins are up at 7-730 every morning after being up once in the middle of the night. I use them as my alarm clock on mornings when we don't really have to be anywhere or if I have everything prepared all we have to do is get dressed, eat, and go. I am a SAHM so I just kinda go with the flow but I also love schedule so I can understand if you would want to wake them. 920 seems late in my book. But then again I think it all depends on when they go to sleep. If they're not going down until 8-9 at night I would let them sleep that long. That's 12hrs. If they go to bed at 7ish then I probably wouldn't have any problems waking them at 830-9.

Next year my DS starts K and DD1 will be in preschool. I'm hoping for morning preschool and if so everyone will likely be woken up so we can eat and be out the door in time for school.