calling all moms with kids with

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by traci.finley, Dec 15, 2010.

1. traci.finley

traci.finley Well-Known Member

OK, so I stayed up waaaaay late last night to make these pretty snowflake gingerbread cookies with pretty white frosting and white shiny sprinkles for the twins' Polar Express party at school tomorrow. They are so excited for Mom to have made cookies for the class. Anyway, so this morning it occurs to me that I put Almond Oil in the icing to take to a school that is nut-free. I don't think that there is anyone in THEIR class with the allergies but not 100% sure. Does nut allergies extend to something like almond oil? If so, of course my time (which is very limited due to 3 kids 3 and under none of which like to go to bed) is no where near precious enough to risk a reaction from someone. I guess I will stay up late, again, with Vanilla in the icing, if needed. ;) Just wondering if it is needed? TIA!

2. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

As someone who is allergic to almonds, yes, almond oil counts. Ugh, I hate it when things like that happen! If your school is nut free, I wouldn't take them, I guess. Sorry, that you spent so much time on them, they sound beautiful!

3. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

Our class is PEANUT FREE. We can still send other nuts (nut butters, etc...) just not peanuts.

4. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Better safe than sorry; I'd make new ones. :( Nate is allergic to almonds, and my favorite Christmas cookie uses almond extract, which is a huge bummer. I'm going to substitute vanilla extract and hope they still taste good.

Sorry you went through all that trouble, but maybe you can serve them to guests or give them as gifts to non-allergic people! :good:

5. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If there is a kid who has allergies to tree nuts, yep, it counts. Peanuts is a different allergy than tree nuts. I would just ask the teacher if she knows of any tree nut allergies.

Marissa

6. TD

TD Well-Known Member

Did you use Almond Oil, or did you use Almond Extract. There is a difference. Most Almond Extracts are actually made from Peach pits. You can call the manufacturer to find out.

If you used Almond oil, then they should not goto the school.

T

7. littletwinstars

littletwinstars Well-Known Member

I would verify with the school as to what type of nuts. As others have said, almonds may be ok...but not peanuts. However, most likely their nut free policy probably includes ALL nuts. I bake a lot and our children have nut allergies so I either substitute almond extract with lemon extract or vanilla. The recipes have always tasted fine. They also have butter extract, peppermint extract, etc. I did a quick Google search and it says that if you need an almond OIL substitute...vegetable oil can be used (but there will be a lack of flavor). Otherwise all other almond oil substitutes are other nut oils. I'm so sorry you have to do these again. I know baking can be very time consuming. But again...as a parent of nut allergy children, I would appreciate not being exposed to them. :hug:

8. traci.finley

traci.finley Well-Known Member

Remade all the cookies with vanilla extract instead ... and it was almond extract ... not oil ... oops =) Thanks for all the answers ... no, risking a kid with a nut allergy having a reaction is not worth ANYTHING ... least of all my time. I gave the potentially deadly (ha ha) cookies to my neighbors ;) Thanks guys!

9. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

:clapping: Good for you! :) They sound beautiful and delicious; you should post pictures!

10. MamaKimberlee

MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

As a mother of kids with nut allergies, I GREATLY appreciate your concern - truly above and beyond - especially if you don't know of any kids with allergies.

Honestly, I would have asked the school before making new ones (although you might not have had time). I'm sure 99% or people would make it with it and not even know it is an issue and sent it in. And I understand that too.

Thanks for your careful work!

2 people like this.
  11. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Wow - thank you from another mom of a kid with a nut allergy (peanut). You were super awesome to remake all those cookies.

The school my daughters go to is not nut free but I sure wish it was. It always freaks me out knowing that a child at the next table over might be having a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and smearing it all over the table.

12. pgmummy

pgmummy Well-Known Member

Another thank you from a mother of a nut allergic child.

13. christie76

christie76 Well-Known Member

I also have a child with a peanut allergy. She isn't allergic to tree nuts, but the allergist told us to avoid them anyways. Not worth the risk. Thank you for being so concerned. Most people wouldn't have even thought it was an issue. I'm sure that child's mother would be grateful if she knew you re-made the cookies.