Awake time at 6 months?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by juliannepercy, Dec 8, 2010.

1. juliannepercy

juliannepercy Well-Known Member

My boys turn 6 months tomorrow (hard to believe)... just curious how long others were staying awake at a time at this stage. Our max seems to be 2 hours at this point meaning we're still doing a third nap (although short) around 5pm. Also curious when you dropped the third nap? Thanks!

2. mjwebb05

mjwebb05 Well-Known Member

travelbug,
    my boys are 2 weeks shy of 6months, and they are on the EXACT same schedule as yours!! Guess if we arent doing something right, then we're both in the same boat :) I asked my friends about dropping the 3rd nap, most said it wasnt till after 9mos.

3. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

We dropped the third nap around 7.5-8 months I believe - at that point, I started to notice that our boys didn't act sleepy after 1.5-2 hours, and started to stretch to more like 3 and even 4 hours sometimes.

4. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

Maximum awake time was about 2 hours for us until 9 months. That's when we dropped the third nap as well. My kiddos are still on 2 naps a day as well so I think they are just sleepy kids in general! Your schedule sounds pretty much what ours was.

5. juliannepercy

juliannepercy Well-Known Member

That's good to know. 2 hours is about all I can handle too :rolleyes: By the time they rotate through all the stations they are pretty much done. Also nice to know the third nap might stick around for awhile... I kind of like it. It's usually starts around 5pm and they go to bed at 7:30pm but it doesn't seem to interfere with night time sleep.

6. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

Same here...all my kids dropped it around 7.5-8 months. My guideline for when there were ready was seeing that they could stay up for close to 3 hours at a time. Also, one of the 3 naps started getting a lot shorter...30 min instead of an hour so that was another good sign they were ready to go to 2.

7. christy.fisher

christy.fisher Well-Known Member

Same for us. I started putting them down for naps at 9:30 and 2:00 and we've been on that schedule ever since although it's a but erratic these days.