What cartoon do your kids love, but you hate?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by jjzollman, Dec 5, 2010.

1. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Okay, spill those cartoons or other kids' shows that your kids absolutely love and you can hardly tolerate?

My little guys are just in love with Cailou right now. Even my 6.5 year old says, "Oh, there's always a happy ending on Caliou!" Enough said. :laughing: Could that family be any more perfect? Rosie smashes and crumbles the pretty flower she picked for Grandma. What does Grandma do? Quickly pulls out some wax paper and presses it, so she'll have it forever! :lol:

It is a great kids' show, is very positive and loving - but man, their perfectionistic life drives me batty!

Let's hear others!

2. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Dora and Diego...ok in all fairness, my kids haven't watched it yet and I hope they never do. It just seems to me the characters are 'screaming'. It drives me nuts!

3. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I can't stand kids shows. I can't sit there and watch any of them. My girls are really in to The Grinch that Stole Xmas right now, the old cartoon. I can't sit and watch it.

4. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

There isn't too many that I don't like. Sadly, I enjoy them too. But they did start liking Special Agent Oso on the Disney channel. I REALLY don't like that show. The kids that need help doing simple things get help from Oso. He comes to the kid's home and tries to help him out. In doing so, he has no clue how to do it and the kid who asks for help ends up telling him how to actually solve the problem. Luckily, it's not their favorite. They love Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Chuggington, and Handy Manny much more! They also watch stuff on Sprout which is good too. Not too much stuff on there I don't like. They don't watch much TV, but these are the shows they do like to watch when they get the chance. They LOVE Caillou, Barney, and Sesame Street.

5. betha

betha Well-Known Member

I can't stand Caillou either. It sounds like they are all whining during that show. Ugh! I really hate Barney, so I never turn it on. If it accidently comes on the tv, I turn it off before they can watch it.
    My DD likes the Fresh Beat Band. I think they are super cheesy (they all use lip syncing and it's not very convincing-plus they are all overacting), but I guess it's okay if she enjoys the music.

6. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

Max and Ruby - OMG Ruby is a flaming biyotch!!!! I just thing Oso is stupid but my kids are getting into it...thankfully mine have outgrown Caillou - he is a whiny little snot!!!

7. *Sully*

*Sully* Well-Known Member

I guess I'm in the weird camp liking Calliou and Max & Ruby. Calliou is our pre-nap program and we find it relaxing. I like the music on M&R and also on Olivia. It is so much better than some other shows on Nick like Diego and Dora or Nihao Kailan. Those shows are so annoying! I also dislike the Special Agent Oso and the kids have only recently started to like it. They love the Care Bears and while I don't hate it, it isn't enjoyable. My Little Pony is another fav that is annoying, but at least the animation is pretty.

We all love Thomas. :blush:

8. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

My girls took an old school (1990s) Land Before Time DVD out of the library. It wasn't the original movie. It must have been a saturday morning cartoon, but its TERRIBLE!!! The dinosaurs sing (badly), and the story lines are so strange.

As for current shows, Max&Ruby because Ruby bugs me and Dora because she is SO demanding.

9. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

I absolutely hate Calliou!! :headbang: I'm like Eliza, most of the ones the girls watch are tolerable for me. But I was still watching cartoons in college. :blush:

10. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Dora, Max & Ruby, Caillou, and many, many more. They drive me nuts!!

11. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

I can't stand Caillou. When my son watches it he picks up the whining instantly and drives me crazy. We DVR stuff for the kids, so I really only record stuff that I can tolerate.

12. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Caillou is forbidden in this house. My kids love it but I just can't take it. I don't like Max and Ruby because I think Ruby is evil but I'll let the kids watch it.
    I don't like the Wonder Pets, Ming-Ming makes me :wacko: but I can tolerate about 30 minutes of it a week.
    The Fresh Beat Band makes my kids too hyper and it comes on right before they go to bed, so they usually get to watch that on the weekends when it's on in the morning and not before bedtime.

13. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes, Dora yells. All. Of. The. Time. I don't let them watch things that I don't like. :D

14. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Nearly all the ones I hated at first have grown on me. Even Dora, whose voice initially made me want to jump through a window. And Barney, which has sort of a sneaky wit to it, although I can't stand to actually watch the kids do their overacting.

The only one I still dislike is Care Bears, just because, well, they're Care Bears. It's so saccharine sweet and candy-colored. :bad:

My kids never watched enough Charlie and Lola for me to get used to it, but I was surprised how much I didn't like it on first viewing. I love the books, but the voices and the intentionally (I assume) simplistic animation really bugged me.

I actually like Caillou. Yes, the family is unrealistically perfect, but a lot of the situations are exactly like the ones we face every day, and I think it's kind of funny. We've gotten a lot of "teachable moments" from it.

I like Wonder Pets. :tomato:

15. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I'm not really a fan of cartoons so I rarely sit and watch them but I go out of my way to change the channel if wow wow wubzy is on... I can't stand it.

16. pinkpoonani

pinkpoonani Active Member

Calliou makes me feel bad about my own parenting skills... And wonder pets drives me insane! That one is totally off limits in this house. Dora and Diego also irritate me but it's tolerable. And Elmo really gets on my nerves but that's probably cuz it's the only show DS will sit and watch, so we have the DVD on everytime I need to cook or clean something. And also for some reason I felt compelled to buy a DVD of ROSEANNE singing childrens songs. Just out of curiosity but the boys LOVE it. You don't know annoying until u watch Roseanne singing and dancing every day :-/

17. BaileyandMarleysMom

BaileyandMarleysMom Well-Known Member

I could gouge my eyes out if I had to watch Wow Wow Wubbzy! Thanksfully my girls aren't that into it. The music is irritating and for some reason the colors irritate my eyes. To me the whole screen might as well be a flashing strobe light while it's on. The music is sickening too. I can't stand it.

On the other hand, my girls love Caillou. They will watch the same epidsode over and over again. As soon as the credits start rolling they squeal, "Caillou 'gain!" I record them since we miss it during the day and we let them watch it before bed. My dh was saying that we need to cut back on the tv a little bit. Then I went out of town for 2 days. When I got back he had changed his tune and was telling me how Caillou saved him and that the show teaches some really great lessons. Interesting...we should cut back on tv when I'm home for them to crawl all over and drive crazy, but when he's home alone t.v. watching is just fine.

18. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I don't really watch any, but Yo Gabba Gabba and Wonderpets annoy me to no end. Seriously awful stuff. I don't mind the others (even Dora lol).

19. jdio33

jdio33 Well-Known Member

AND WTH are their parents?????

20. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

I absolutely cannot stand Barney. It makes me want to poke my eyes out and stuff them in my ears so that I don't have to see or hear it. I pretty much never let them watch it.

Fireman Sam and Thomas the Tank Engine irritate me, I just find many of the characters really obnoxious. Luke used to be into Thomas in a big way so I had to put up with that a lot. Thankfully he's grown out of it. Eleanor and Ethan like Fireman Sam but they're not very picky at the moment so I usually put something else on. Higglytown heroes used to annoy me too (none of them watch it now), and I've never really watched Yo Gabba Gabba after the first time I tried to sit through five minutes of it.

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting! :)

21. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

oh yes - Wubbzy is absolutely the most awful cartoon - every time my DH wants to drive me nuts he calls me "little buddy"...

can I just tell you that this made me LOL - and provided a wonderful mental picture :)

22. brookbranplus2

brookbranplus2 Well-Known Member

Toopy and Bino, Four square, the newer Big Comfy Couch

23. lovelylily

lovelylily Well-Known Member

ditto!

24. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

Yo Gabba Gabba (What were they smoking when they came up with that show!?!)
    Dora because of her voice. :crazy:
    Wow Wow Wubbzy...it's just dumb!

25. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

Oh that is the one we hate the most and of course the twins want to watch it all the time. I look at DH when it is on and often say "Oh yeah that would happen in real life". DH thinks it is a Charlie Brown knock off. The only thing that makes me laugh about it is the character voices seem to change if we are watching it on PBS or Sprout channels. I though Sprout was part of PBS. Plus, do you ever notice the other kids are always wearing the same clothes...what is up with Leo's suspenders :ibiggrin: .

26. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Can not stand Thomas....it's the most boring show, monotoned show. Drives me insane. I also can't stand Calliou. My son used to love it, thank goodness the girls don't like it. That family is just too perfect for me and I end up rolling my eyes and being sarcastic through the entire episode.