teething, runny nose, ear infections

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by newtothis, Dec 1, 2010.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

one of my LOs was tossing and turning all night. i KNEW something was up. this morning he woke up with a runny nose and his finger in his ear. he was very fussy last night, too.
    i'm assuming he has an ear infection. he also had some diarrhea. im bringing him to the pedi this morning but i was wondering what your thoughts were.

does teething cause runny noses, thus in turn creating and causing ear infections?

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't know that teething causes ear infections but when my kids were teething, they would get runny noses and runny poops. Good luck at the pedi.

3. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

she said no ear infection....
    of course! i take off of work for a cold, lol!

4. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Heh, I can so relate; last week I took off early to take Jack to the doctor because he was sick and acting like someone was torturing him. DH thought it was an ear infection.....NOPE, he's teething. :gah: 2 hours lost productivity, $20 copay to have the ped look at my kid's gums. <_< I felt like a total dunce. :p

5. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

Better safe than sorry.

Teething does cause runny noses and excess mucus causes diarrhea. (They swallow it.)

It does not, however, cause ear infections IT DOES cause them, at times, to tug on their ears.

Ear infections DO follow colds and usually occur 7-10 days after onset of cold sx.

There is usually green snot involved which signals infection.

Teething and ear infections are not in and of themselves, related.

Glad baby is not ill :)