Question about TTTS

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Globetrekker81, Oct 25, 2010.

I had my long 17week ultrasound today before my amnio and we found out that we are having a boy and a girl! Yea!

Anyway, they have 2 sacs but are sharing one placenta (assuming two fused together?). I thought I read that Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome was only a threat to identical twins. Is that true? Or is it a threat to twins who share one placenta?

Just worrying because the boy is a little smaller.

1. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

If they are definitely a boy and a girl, they are not sharing a placenta, so you are out of the woods on TTTS. Only identicals could possibly be sharing a placenta.

Congratulations on having one of each flavor!!

2. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

one of each is awesome!! congratulations!

3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Welcome to the B/G club! (And don't worry about TTTS, it only happens in identicals!)

4. liliana

liliana Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!!!!

That was our secret wish: a boy and a girl, but probabably they will be girls which I love it since I already have a girl!

About TTTS, I can help you, I know that can happen with my twins, so starting next week I will have u/s every week until the doctors said that everything is fine!

5. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

as others have said, if they're definitely b/g then they aren't sharing a placenta & you don't have to worry about TTTS. two fused placentas isn't the same thing as one placenta - as far as i understand it, when two placentas fuse, they mush together, but the circulatory systems don't join up. it's sharing a circulatory system that creates the possibility for TTTS.

6. Ah ok! Thank you thank you for the replies! I get it now.

Being 41 with my first pregnancy, it seems that all I hear at my appts is bad news about increased odds for various risks.

TTTS is one less thing to worry about!

7. momof6

momof6 Well-Known Member

We have b/g twins on way as well and as far as the size my Ob just does not want to see more than a 20% discordance. But he says the size heart rates etc will differ some because having di/di twins is like having 2 separate pregnancies happening at the same time

8. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

Yeah for good news. b/g are great. I have a pair.

9. SC

SC Well-Known Member

Just chiming in to agree with pp's. If they're sure you have a boy and a girl then they have two placentas/two sources of nutrition/two blood supplies, just fused. I have ID boys who had TTTS and it does not sound like that's something you have to worry about (interestingly enough, it actually is possible to have boy/girl IDs if you start off with two boys and one drops a "Y" chromosome and becomes a "XO" girl, but this is HIGHLY unlikely).
    Best of luck.