Anyone used or intending on using a Hushamock hammock?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by katsun, Oct 19, 2010.

1. katsun

katsun New Member

HI all,

I have been doing a lot of reading into hammocks vs cots vs bassinettes and I have decided to go with 2 Hushamocks for my twin girls when they are born next year.

Has anyone used these (or similar) hammocks? Any advice/recommendations??

Thanks

Kate x

2. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I've not used this product, nor ever even heard of it.
    But my baby often napps in a hammock and the region where I live in most babies sleep in Hammocks rather than cribs.
    Parents often string them over their beds and sleep below the baby.
    Babies sleep very snug in a hammock, you can rock them, you just have to tie the top shut so there there is no chance of them falling out.
    And you can use the hammock forever, no buying a piece of furniture that you will only use for a couple of years.

3. doreydo

doreydo Active Member

Meximeli that sounds so cool!!! I love it!

4. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

Hmm...looks an awful lot like the Amby beds, which were recalled after they killed quite a few kids.

5. katsun

katsun New Member

They are similar but have a completely different spring mechanism than the Amby hammocks and that was the main cause of the recall as the springs snapped.

6. cat mommy

No, the springs didn't snap. The rocking motion pushed the babies into the side and they suffocated.

CPCS recall

7. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree that Meximeli, that sounds soooo cool and convenient!

8. Meximeli

Even more reason to just use a real hammock if you are interested in this sort of thing. String hammocks from southern Mexico or Guatemala, not rope ones with the wooden bar like you might be thinking. You need to be able to tie the top of it shut so the baby can't fall if it starts fussing. I tired to find a picture and this is the best I could find.
    http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Wvf-T1eMPko/SfgRRpGZ0eI/AAAAAAAAHD8/yrim68XOf54/DSC_0204.JPG

9. cat mommy

oh wow! that looks like a nice place for baby to sleep in a warm climate! how long can a baby safely sleep in one? i'm thinking til they start sitting up??

10. Meximeli

It depends on the baby. For many babies, yes when they can sit up on their own they could pull down the sides and potentially fall. But once they are two then they could start sleeping in them again, because they will get it and know they could fall. Some docil babies always sleep in them, just like some kids never try to climb out of their cribs. You can also hang them very low to the ground if you have a fidgety baby, so they are only inches off the ground.