Have your kids had a cholesterol test?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by debid, Oct 16, 2010.

1. debid

debid Well-Known Member

The boys had their 5-year checkup last week and the first thing they did was stick them and take two blood samples. One was hemoglobin and the other was cholesterol. I had no idea they tested cholesterol at age 5! We do have a family history of heart disease but that was something the doctor asked about while reviewing the results so I'm pretty sure it's their standard practice rather than something she'd requested because of the history.

SO, just wondering if this is what everyone else has experienced? And if your kids tested high, what was recommended?

2. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

My kids have never had any kind of blood work done at physicals they are 7 now

3. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

My kids have never been tested and they are 7. High cholesterol does run in my side of the family when they get older but I have never been heard of them testing so young unless there was a reason.

4. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

No - at the 5 year visit they will check iron and general blood work (CBC).

I did not have my cholesteral checked until my late 20s!! (it was fine and we have a family history)

5. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My dr told me that my kids should all be tested by the age of 10 for cholesterol because my dad had a major heart attack/triple heart bypass at the age of 34 (because of coronary artery disease). She said that they have found if they catch any cholesterol issues early enough they can treat it and teach kids about eating healthier foods at an early age if cholesterol is an issue. Speaking of which I just realized my oldest will be 11 and hasn't been tested. Glad you posted this because I had forgotten!

6. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

We've never had any kind of blood tests at any of our check-ups.

7. cricket1

cricket1 Well-Known Member

NO no blood tests. We did have hearing checked this time simply because they seem to have had lots of infections. All good. I keep meaning to have them check for iron but forget.

8. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

same here.

9. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The only blood testing we have had was lead testing when they were younger.

10. **Sandy**

**Sandy** Well-Known Member

My girls had their cholesterol checked at their 5 year appointment. We decided to check it based on family history of high cholesterol and early heart problems.

11. Sue1968

Sue1968 Well-Known Member

There is early heart disease on my father's side so my boys had their cholesterol checked at age 4. He never said anything about it again so I guess the results were fine.

12. Mia D

Mia D Well-Known Member

Our pediatrician's office have been giving cholesterol tests to my girls since they were 2. They've had bloodwork every year. My understanding is that this is because childhood obesity and diet is such a problem these days, they want to make sure they catch problems early.

Best,
    Mia

13. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

This is all we have ever had too.

14. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I asked the ped about it at their 3-year checkup, after a friend of mine found out her DS was really high at that age. Our ped said it wasn't necessary unless there was family history or risk factors. DH and his mom do have high cholesterol, but our ped still didn't think it was necessary at 3 -- however, maybe I'll ask again at their 5y checkup this fall.

15. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Only iron checked here but neither of my girls has an ounce of fat on them. We go for our Wbv nov 2

16. debid

debid Well-Known Member

My boys are skinny, athletic, active, and their diet is much better than average (lots of veggies/fruits/whole grains, a few lean meats, almost no processed food)... and yet both have cholesterol numbers above 170. Their doctor said it must be genetic but couldn't explain why two kids with the same genetic makeup who eat the same things and spend their time doing the same things would be 15 points apart. At any rate, they are examples of why some doctors are testing ALL kids at a certain age because not all kids with high cholesterol fit the typical risk profile.

My concern is that since we're already doing the "right" things, I don't know what will be recommended if the fasting test results are similar to non-fasting.