Newbie here. Hello!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Globetrekker81, Sep 22, 2010.

I'm still in a bit of a shock. I was told I couldn't have children, then a few weeks ago, at 41 years old, I was told I was pregnant. Then we found out about the twins during my 9 week ultrasound. Whew! It is alot to take in - especially since I have never changed a diaper before. Lots to learn!

Anyway, this website has been really helpful and I know I will have many questions to come.

The first one being - How often do you go see your doctor for ultrasounds? My OBGYN has me scheduled every 3 weeks through the second trimester. Is that normal?

:) Nicole

1. aquickworld

aquickworld Well-Known Member

Congrats and Welcome to TS! I go to the OB ever 3 weeks(was every 1-2 in the beginning) and also to the Perinatologist every 4 weeks. I feel like I am constantly at the Dr but it's also nice seeing my little girls so much :)

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hi Nicole.

Welcome to TS!

About the ultrasounds- what kind of twins do you have? Di/di are treated differently than mono/di and mono/mono twins are different still.

3. Adding 2 more!

Adding 2 more! Well-Known Member

I am only 14.5 weeks and our pregnancy was a surprise and at 10 weeks we discovered two! I totally feel what you are going through! I wanted to say welcome and Im interested in some of the other ladies answers here....
    What is di and mono that you guys use as abreviations all the time?

4. cheezewhiz24

Ah, sorry.

Di/di is Dichorionic-Diamniotic (2 placentas-2 sacs). The safest form of twins who do not 'share' anything. They can be identical or fraternal.

Mono/di is Monochorionic-Diamniotic (1 placenta-2 sacs). Generally has more monitoring and a slightly earlier 'birthday' if you will due to concerns about the placenta failing the babies at the end. (Ladies, please feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken in this!) These babies are identical.

Mono/mono is Monochorionic-Monoamniotic (1 placenta-1 sac). The risks are highest with this type as the placenta risk is still around but there is a risk of the cord wrapping around a baby. These babies are identical.

It's confusing at first but you get the hang of it! :)

5. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

Congrats!

As for mono/di they are usually ID, but you can have 2 placenta's that fuse, causing mono/di and a chance of being frats.

6. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

Even if the placentas fuse, there are still 2 placentas and are always fraternal. It is sometimes hard to tell them apart, but the earlier the easier.

Welcome Nicole, this is a great place.

7. michelle_m

michelle_m Well-Known Member

Hi, Nicole. Congrats and welcome! I'm new here, too - and we're both due in March. My twins are fraternal, and I see my OB every 2 weeks. She had twins herself recently, so I think she's taking special care of me.

Hope you have a happy and safe pregnancy!

8. jessietrio

jessietrio Well-Known Member

Wow! What a surprise in a surprise in a surprise for you. Congratulations!! Everything I know, I learned from Twinstuff ladies...you have come to a great place.

About the never having changed a diaper thing...don't worry - after 10 you will be a pro and then have thousands more opportunities to perfect your technique. :rofl:

About the number of ultrasounds: my twins are di/di and, like cheezewhiz wrote, are the safest form. It took me a while in the beginning of pregnancy to figure out what's what so I could have as little intervention and appointments as possible within reason with my risk circumstances. My original MFM had a twin protocol requiring U/S every 2 weeks until 24 at which point they became weekly until delivery (that is his 'normal' for all types of twin pregnancies). I switched to an MFM who allowed U/S every 4 weeks unless a complication or concern developed. Along with this I saw my regular OB monthly (for 'hello', urine, weight and blood pressure) until 24 weeks at which point I began to see her every 2 weeks for the same. Now that I am 33 weeks I will be getting weekly biophysical profiles (bpps) which are done with ultrasound with my regular OB until the babes are born.

Hope that is not overload. I tend to write a lot despite my best intentions. ;)

Welcome to the wonderful experience of twin pregnancy!

9. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Welcome to TS and Congrats on your twins!!! :babyflips: :babyflips:

10. Sisrea

Sisrea Well-Known Member

Wow what a shock, but twins are wonderful!! COngrats!!

11. Thanks for the well wishes and info!

Hummmm so when are they able to tell if my twins are di or mono?

At my 12 week ultrasound this week, she said that they have 2 separate sacs but can't tell if there are 2 placentas. My next ultrasound is at 15 weeks. Will they be able to figure it out then??

12. samantha83

samantha83 Well-Known Member

Congratulations and welcome to TS!!!!!!!!

13. ChaoticMum

ChaoticMum Well-Known Member

Congrats! :) :) :)

There is one way they'll know for sure at your 15wk u/s - if one is a girl and one a boy you'll know for SURE its two separate placentas. Otherwise they may never know until a)its obvious at birth that they are fused or one single or b) they do bloodtests on the babes at birth and you find out they are different or c)you have DNA testing done.

The bigger the placentas get I do believe the harder it is to tell if they are 1 or 2 fused.

I was 21wks when we discovered there were two inside me and right from the start they were pretty sure it was 1 placenta and treated me as such - the membrane between the babes was SOOOOOOOOOO thin it was extremely difficult to see let alone find, but it WAS found so they confirmed they did have separate sacs.

Congrats on your babes!! Enjoy this journey no matter how hard it is as its one amazing blessing! :)

14. katsun

katsun New Member

Hi all,

I am from Sydney Australia and have been recommended to check out this site as I am expecting twins.
    I am 36 and it is my first pregnancy.
    We had been trying to conceive for about 12 months when I went to a fertility specialityst who found out that I had previously had uterine adhesions which were then surgically removed. My first cycle following the surgery I fell pregnant.
    At my first scan (7 weeks)the OB said "oh there is a nice strong heart beat, and oh look, there is another"!! I nearly fell off the table from shock.
    I am now 18 weeks and have passed all the tests - Nuchal transcluceny, amnio etc and am only now starting to show.
    I am feeling very excited but terrified all at the same time. I keep thinking about how do you cope with breastfeeding twins, will they be too early etc etc.
    Oh and I forgot to say that they are fraternal girls - 2 placentas and 2 sacs.
    I would love to hear from any other newbies feeling the same mix of fear and excitement and hope to make lots of new friends along the way.
    Thanks for letting me introduce myself!!
    Kate xx

15. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hi Nicole and welcome to Twinstuff. :welcome:

16. cheezewhiz24

Hi Katie!

:welcome: to TS! As to your concerns- stop by the Breastfeeding forum and chat us up. It is very doable to nurse two- I am living proof. ;)