how long did you swaddle?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by tracilynn, Sep 17, 2010.

1. tracilynn

tracilynn Well-Known Member

how long did you swaddle? or how long do you plan to swaddle?

2. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

I swaddled until they were a little over 6 months.

3. dra1408

dra1408 Well-Known Member

I am still swaddling. They just don't sleep well without it. I'll swaddle until they don't sleep well being swaddled anymore.

4. tracilynn

tracilynn Well-Known Member

Do you worry about them rolling while swaddled? Or do they not move? I have one that can almost do a crunch
    While swaddled. Ha ha! Do you use a positioner too?

5. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

We stopped swaddling at 4 months, mainly because they were outgrowing the swaddles, and were wiggling out of them. We transitioned slowly.

6. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

We stopped at four months. They were becoming more mobile then and less spastic when they were trying to sleep. Just like the pp, we transitioned slowly as well.

7. dra1408

dra1408 Well-Known Member

I did worry about them rolling, but they have done it several times and are fine. One of my girls will roll to either back or belly in her sleep, but she is fine. Mine also can do a "crunch" while swaddled :). And yes, I do use a positioner, but only because they sleep on their sides and without it they tend to roll either to back or belly and it wakes them up. I did want to clarify that I double swaddle at night though. I use a light weight Aden & Anais blanket like this to swaddle them in and then I use a summer infant swaddle me like this one. That way they can't get the blanket unraveled and around their faces while they sleep. It works really well for us right now.

8. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

I did keep mine in a sleep positioner as well while they were swaddled. By 6 months they were able to turn in the swaddle and positioner, so I knew I had to stop. I stopped swaddling and using the sleep positioner just after 6 months. They pretty much immediately went to sleeping on their tummy. Which I fought for a few nights and realized it was a lost cause. They still sleep on the tummy now.

9. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We stopped swaddling at about 4 months when they started being able to roll around. We switched to sleep sacks, which are great because no matter how mobile they are they always have a blanket on them.

10. hsddc

hsddc Well-Known Member

We swaddled until just a few weeks ago (right around 4 months) when we were told the swaddle was likely getting in the way of them sleeping at night. We went cold turkey without the swaddle and...lo and behold...the babies slept *much* longer at night! DD now sleeps on her belly and DS sleeps on his side and they both move a lot at night. So the swaddles were actually holding them back! Who knew?

11. marleigh

marleigh Well-Known Member

I swaddled till they were about 6 months. Once they started rolling over, I put them in Halo Sleep Sacks.

12. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We swaddled for bed until four months when we moved them to their cribs. We quite cold turkey. And we swaddled for six months for naptime-they napped in their swings-and we moved them to their crbis cold turkey.

13. lisagayle

lisagayle Well-Known Member

We still swaddle (at 4 1/2 months) and will continue to do so until we feel that they don't like it anymore. We use the Summer SwaddleMe blankets since the regular receiving blankets are too small now.

14. SC

SC Well-Known Member

We stopped around 9 months actual, 6 months adjusted w/ DS2. With DS1 we stopped about a month earlier. We pretty much knew when it was time to stop when they wanted to roll and were breaking out of the swaddles!

15. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We didn't swaddle past two months. We used sleep sacks for a few months after that, then graduated to blankets at about 6 months.

16. mnm000

mnm000 Well-Known Member

One we stopped at 4 mos when he was rolling over from back to belly while swaddled. That worried me. The other, although he could roll from back to belly, he didn't do it while swaddled. He had a hard time sleeping without it still, so we continued to swaddle him until about 6 mos?! We transitioned both to sleep sacks, and we still use them at a year and a half!

17. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

I believe we swaddled until 6.5 months or so...I'm thinking back...I remember DH not wanting to stop. We may have done arms out for a couple weeks. Jude was just too strong after that but I would've swaddled as long as I could if they were willing. :)

18. jromkey

jromkey Well-Known Member

We swaddled until they were 7 months old. At that point they started rolling over a lot on their tummies so I knew it was time to unswaddle :cry: