What kind of rice cereal to use?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by lbzg, Sep 7, 2010.

1. lbzg

lbzg Well-Known Member

So, do you use the gerber rice cereal? or should i be trying something organic or healthier like brown rice and is there such thing, please give opinions.

2. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

Gerber makes an organic brown rice cereal. Here's a link to their site with the info.

http://www.gerber.com/SupportedSitter/Products/Organic_Cereals.aspx

There are other brands. Can't think of any off the top of my head though. You can go to a store like Whole Foods and find organic baby cereal/purees. My grocery store carries a very small selection of organic products and I want think I have seen rice cereal. I know they have organic baby food purees because I have bought them. I don't always buy organic but I liked the food combos better than some of the gerber foods.

3. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We did Gerber cereals as well as Beech-Nut cereals for the kids. We bought rice to start with, but it would make them constipated, so we quickly moved onto oatmeal. We had no problem with those cereals.

4. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I used Gerber and I have a friend who recommends Beech Nut.

5. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

I use the Earth's Best Organic cereal. I like that it only has a few ingredients and not all the other stuff that is in many rice cereals.

6. jromkey

jromkey Well-Known Member

We used the Heinz rice cereal but stopped giving it soon after starting because it exacerbated constipation problems. We like the whole line of Heinz baby cereals - oatmeal, barley, etc. The girls enjoy them, there are a bunch of yummy-sounding varieties, and they're easy to mix (I get the "just add water" kind).

7. k2daho

k2daho Well-Known Member

Ditto on Earth's Best organic cereals! All of the others (including other organic and "healthy" baby cereals) have lots of unnecessary additives and preservatives.

8. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

We use Gerber too!

9. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

Great post. I was wondering the same thing after walking away from the wall of cereal choices empty handed - who knew rice ceral came in so many varities???

Does brown rice help with the constipation? Or is oatmeal really better?

10. stephsoss

stephsoss Well-Known Member

Another vote for Earth's Best! The fewer ingredients, the better imo. The rice cereal did not do well for them, so we switched to oatmeal pretty quickly, too.

11. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Exactly the opposite for us. You may just need to try both and see what works better. Our LO's LOVE the taste of the oatmeal, but they just don't digest it as well as the rice (although I have to limit the rice cereal, too - they have very picky digestive systems).