c-section recovery

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by christinam, Aug 16, 2010.

1. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

How long were you under restriction? It's been two weeks since my section and I feel so much better. I haven't had to take the oxycodone (sp) or the Mortin in a few days. My incision is still a little sore but nothing like it had been. I had staples and those were removed a few days after the section. The strips they put on after haven't come off all the way (half have) and I don't plan on pulling them off until their ready. The nurse at the hospital just told me in the hospital to take it easy and not to lift anything heavier than one of the babies. I am careful not to lift anything. I am doing stuff around the house but nothing major. Just loading laundry (my husband does ALL the carrying), loading the dishwasher, washing bottles. That's about it. I am trying not to bend too much. I get down on the floor with the kids but am very careful when I do. I am sleeping on my side/almost my stomach. I don't know if this is all considered too much. I feel like I could do a lot more but stop myself because I don't know if it's safe. I see the obgyn this week and plan on asking him but I just wondered what everyone else was told.

Sorry to post all the off topic questions but I don't really have anyone else to ask. Thanks ladies! :)

2. Sandy005

Sandy005 Well-Known Member

I was told not lift anything over 20# for 6 weeks. I honestly didn't follow that rule, I have a 2 year old that requires me to lift once in awhile. I tried not to lift because it seemed like I was a little bit more uncomfortable the next day. I would try to take it easy and let your incision recover as much as possible, no sense in over doing it if it might cause an issue -- I try to avoid Dr's [​IMG]. I started driving about 2 1/2 weeks after, and I wish I would have waited until the 3rd week, I felt a bit unsteady at the wheel. Hope all else is going well and you are getting some sleep!

3. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

I was told two weeks for driving if I felt up to it. Well I lasted about a week and a half. I had to take the girls for a weight check on Friday. But I haven't taken the pain meds so I felt fine. If I was still taking them I wouldn't have gotten behind the wheel. I have lifted my daughter who is two and 25lbs once or twice. Once I pushed her up on the bed and the other time I just grabbed her and put her up there. It wasn't the most comfortable so I knew not to do it unless I absolutely have to. We just converted her crib to a toddler bed. I didn't want to but she is climbing and I just can't lift her out right now either. But that helps too. Well it's helpful for me physically but not mentally. Now I have to deal with her getting up and down during the night.

4. jromkey

jromkey Well-Known Member

It sounds like you are doing well - I wouldn't do more if I were you. I know it is hard to restrict your activities what with newborn twins and lots to do but it will make the healing process smoother. It took me about a month to get back to feeling somewhat "normal" after my c-section. Before you know it you'll be doing everything (and more!) than you did before the surgery. Congratulations on your twins and welcome to the FY!!

5. sruth

sruth Well-Known Member

I agree. Sounds like you're doing well. I couldn't walk for at least two weeks! However, there is a lot of healing going on on the inside too. I would take it easy for at least another couple of weeks so that your inside healing can catch up to your outside!

6. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

I was on restriction for 2 weeks, after that it was fair game. I took the pain killers for about a week or so. I don't remember being really sore unless I touched the stitches or had something resting on them.

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was on restriction for 6 weeks, that's when I could I drive and resume my normal activities.

8. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was on restrictions for two weeks after my section with the boys. And looking back, I did way more than I should have! I had my incision open up a little bit-and just dealing with the healing of it was a pain(I wasn't in pain). When I had Annabella and another c/s, my Dr said no lifting for six weeks. She didn't want me to reopen my c/s scar again! So the 2nd time around, I was a bit more careful! It sounds to me like you are doing great!

Looking back-if you have people helping you out-take it! I had people asking to help, but I kept telling them I was fine and could do it. Boy do I wish I could go back in time! :laughing: