Separating bunk beds

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Moodyzblu, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

The boys have had bunk beds since they were 3 years old and have done very well with them. They take turns sleeping on top/bottom .. and I thought it was a great solution since they have a very small bedroom. BUT they want to take the beds apart and place them side by side. I don't think they understand how much smaller this will make their room and take up their little play space .. not to mention storage areas which are already minimal.
    I need ideas for little rooms .. like storage solutions .. shelving ideas .. are there simple kits that I might be able to build on my own .. I looked at some but they were SO expensive !

I'm trying to hold them off as long as I can .. but every night seems to end up in tears because they want their beds together. Once school starts I don't want to be struggling with them until 9-10 at night over this !

2. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

You could try under bed storage bins. Do you have an IKEA near you? They have lots of storage solutions/ideas that are fairly inexpensive.

1 person likes this.
  3. Moodyzblu

Under the bed might work. Most of their stuff is small things .. like Lego's and Matchbox's. We have an IKEA somewhere near here .. I'll have to find out where. I always wanted to go there.

4. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

You can get underbed storage containers (Rubbermaid or other brands) at Walmart or Target too.

5. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

Michelle, can you add a trundle to one of the beds. That way, it can go under one bed during the day and pull out for night time? Our rooms are really small too and constantly cluttered b/c we have no storage solutions and my kids just don't care what their rooms are like. There is hardly any area to even sit and play when you have the bed, dresser and a desk in there.

6. Moodyzblu

It's a great idea .. but I'm sure there would be issues every night with who gets to sleep where. :rolleyes:
    Jesse would most likely get pushed out of bed and end up on the trundle every night.

I just think if I had a good shelving system .. it would be so much better. Seriously my boys hardly have any toys .. just LOTS of small things.

7. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Michelle, there is an IKEA in Stoughton.

1 person likes this.
  8. Moodyzblu

All the way down there ?? lol Sounds like a nice Sunday drive. :)

9. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

One of my kids has one of these beds. Jysk Low Loft Bed

It is a great bed with all the usuable space underneath. What about getting 2 of these & putting them beside each other? That way they have their own beds, are still beside each other & have all the floor space still available.

10. Moodyzblu

Now THAT bed is cool ! We've seen some like that .. one even had a slide . lol The boys would love these .. but would have to wait until tax time. I;m going to keep these in mind.