an outdoor playhouse (clubhouse, cabin, etc) that your kids really like?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by happychck, Jul 19, 2010.

1. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

my parents would really like to get an outdoor playhouse for our boys. and i would love something that will keep them busy in the backyard! we were going to get a wooden one from costco but they ran out and will not be restocking. we have had a hard time finding something similar. i have found a lot of plastic ones but i have no idea what to look for!

does anyone have a playhouse that your kids just adore? or a horrible one that you recommend we avoid?

thanks in advance!

~~jeri lynn

ps: also, what was the installation like? thanks a bunch!

2. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

We have never bought a playhouse, but we built a wooden swingset with the playhouse on top and the girls play in it almost daily. So, for us, that was better than the individual playhouses because they can play with it for years and not grow out of it so quickly. We just purchased plans, accessories, and the wood from The Home Depot and then built it ourselves.

3. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I was looking for one a month ago... My kids loved doors and shutters on my neighbors' playhouse, and the only one that I found in stores that had them was too expensive (this one)... I'd really check craigslist first to be honest, a lot of people only use them indoors and they're in excellent condition.

The one I bought isn't made anymore but it was easy to assemble, didn't even need tools... just pieces that snapped together. I however had to take the back seats down to transport it (minivan).

4. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

Do you mind if I ask how much it cost you to do it this way?

5. amelowe9

amelowe9 Well-Known Member

Jeri-Lynn- I HIGHLY recommend posting on WLAPOM or Craigslist for one! We got ours from a mom on the former for $80! It's a Little Tykes. The mom disassembled it with me so there were six big pieces and minimal screwing. I picked up the pieces, put it in my car and assembled it easily in our backyard. I have pics of it on Facebook--I'll send to you. It's a 10-year old model but looks new'ish' and in my opinion, who needs brand new anyways--they'll love it either way!

6. happychck

thanks for the input so far, ladies! and btw, we really want a playhouse and not a swingset or anything like that because we live across the street from a park and play/climb on swings, climbers, etc every single day (often more than once!). i'm looking for something that would be different that we can have at home... thanks again!

~~jl

7. happychck

thanks, chica! btw, i c and p'd my post here to sent to wlapom but lost it somehow. i'll try again tomorrow--and i'd love to see your pics!

8. Utopia122

We spent about $800 total....plus the plans we got allow us to add a second level to it, which we plan on doing here shortly. It doesn't have a tarp roof like you see on so many, it has an actual wooden roof. You can look at various types, and depending on what you want to spend, you can get them with windows and doors. My bestfriend's swingset has a playhouse that has a door, doorbell, windows with shutters, it's really cute.

9. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

We got a playhouse 2nd hand from my local twins group sale and mine don't play with it all that often. I'm hoping they will as they get older and start doing more pretend play. For now they just fight over who's going to close the door :rolleyes:

10. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

I'd love to know where you got your plans. The option to add a second level later is very appealing. My DH built the girls a playset this year and the plan is to build a play house next year.

11. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

If you decide to go with a plastic playhouse, I highly recommend this one: http://www.amazon.com/Naturally-Playful-Welcome-Home-Playhouse/dp/B0009O1EDO/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1279646793&sr=8-16

My mom bought this for the girls and it's fantastic. It's big enough for three kids inside, which is important when you have twins plus a friend. There are lots of windows to look out (a favorite activity in our playhouse) and two even have shutters to open and close. There's a little half door that's perfect for opening and closing (another favorite activity), and a table that swings out. The table, of course, doubles as a bed, operating table, etc. Plus, the house is tall enough that your kids won't outgrow it in a year, and adults can even fit inside with their heads slightly ducked down.

Set up was easy. It took too of us about 1/2 hour once we had the box open and all of the parts laid out. Each wall comes preassembled and snaps onto the adjoining wall. The only slightly tricky part was the roof and that's because I wasn't tall enough to get any leverage to hold it down while DH screwed it into the walls.

12. Utopia122

We got ours at home depot about two years ago. I don't know if they still sell them or not, but you can get the plans online and then I know Home Depot sells the slides and such. Our plans came with an A, B, and C to choose from, C being a multi-level deal. We stained it, then put sand in the bottom part so that they have a sandbox as well, which they absolutely love. Here is what we got...Timber-bilt