a new adventure for us

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by miss_bossy18, Jul 16, 2010.

1. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i finally bit the bullet & took the girls to storytime at the library today & they did great! of course they didn't sit the whole time, but they were (fairly) quiet & attentive. they loved the hand games & songs & actually tried to do most of the actions. one of the stories had an owl in it & Riley almost flipped her lid (she's been obsessed with owls lately :pardon:). every time the reader said owl Riley would yell "owl!" - thankfully, most people seemed to think it was cute. then there was a book about dinosaurs where all the kids were supposed to roar at different times - both girls got a kick out of that. i was really impressed at how it was all done - it was 45 minutes long & i was kind of nervous knowing there was no way at all that my girls would sit quietly for that whole time. but each book was broken up by something physical & interactive so it was a really good balance & helped keep the room full of toddlers happy. :good:

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:yahoo: for a great outing!

3. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Good for you! :clapping:

4. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

Very nice!!! I'm glad it went so well!

5. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

that's awesome! I keep meaning to try storytime! I might get inspired now!

6. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:woo: I'm glad it went well! Storytime is something I've been meaning to do with my two, but I never seem to find the time. I think they would love it!

7. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

That's great! I have been wanting to do storytime with my two, but our library is very adamant that it is for 3-5 year olds. :rolleyes:

8. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i think their registered programs in the fall/winter are for 3 - 5 but i found out they offer a summer drop in for 2 - 5 (and siblings, so really there was every age there :laughing:).

9. debid

debid Well-Known Member

Our library has circle time for infant - 2 and storytime for 3 and up. They discourage but don't refuse storytime access for younger kids. They ask and sometimes have to insist that disruptive children leave the room. A 2YO who can't sit still would be expected to sit in the back with a parent or leave the room because it's hard for the older kids to sit and listen when there is a toddler wandering around in front of them. OTOH, there is another library in a nearby town where they have only one storytime for kids of all ages. It's absolute chaos. They spend much of the time singing and dancing to music because it's too loud to hear a story being read. So, I completely understand the age restrictions. However, I would ask them to consider adding a circle time for the younger kids so they can start their love of the library earlier. FWIW, they also have a 4s and 5s class where they strictly prohibit younger children and they do really cool activities and themed presentations.