Baby gates and other ways to confine them!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by garden2009, Jul 15, 2010.

1. garden2009

garden2009 Well-Known Member

Hello all,
    Our little ones are crawling now and it is becoming impossible to keep up...especially because we have a 4 year old with toys that are not "baby-proof".

Just curious if anyone had any recommendations for baby gates that extend over a large area? We are planning to temporarily turn our dining room into a playroom and we have a very large entry into the room that we are hoping to gate off. Any suggestions for a gate? My initial quick search was not successful. It is probably 6-8 feet in length...

Another option is to just put a super yard within that room but we were hoping to not go that route.

Any/all suggestions welcome! We did not have to do a lot of baby proofing with our older son so this is all new to me!

Thank you!

2. LMW1015

LMW1015 Well-Known Member

We had the same issue and got the Summer Infant Sure and Secure Custom Fit Gate. It's a little pricey but so worth it. We're in a different house now and use it to block the kitchen. It can be set up a lot of different ways and extends quite far. I really liked giving them a room vs the super play yard (which we have too and it's currently keeping the baby swing safe from toddlers. LOL

3. ihavesevensons

ihavesevensons Well-Known Member

We have 2 super yards that we hooked together and made one HUGE play area.

But that would cost about as much as the gate that the other poster mentioned.

4. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We had the Superyard as well. It certainly kept them contained and happy, until they were really able to move!

5. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

We used the Superyard for a bit to block off the entrance from the living room to the other areas of the house but it became too much of a hassle to undo it every time the kiddos went to sleep. So I bought 2 of these with 1 set of extensions, Kidco Gate, it'll cost more but it's got a door that swings open and works so much better for us.

Baby proofing is so expensive!

6. betha

betha Well-Known Member

We have the same gate (Summer Infant Sure Secure Custom Fit...). We use it to block off our kitchen. The length is about 8 feet long, and our walls are uneven so the gate is at an angle. We've had this gate for over a year now, and it's worked great for us.

7. bbyboo1323

bbyboo1323 Well-Known Member

superyard user here! love it

8. jromkey

jromkey Well-Known Member

We also have a superyard with an extension and it works well for us!

9. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We have one like this stretched across our living room. It bolts to the wall, so it is good for us because the superyard they could push around on the hardwood floors. It has a gate for us to get in and out and is pretty sturdy.

10. garden2009

Thank you so much for the suggestions everyone! This is great help!

11. bbyboo1323

bbyboo1323 Well-Known Member

Also we use our Superyard over the foam playmats. We have hardwood floors and this helps them from sliding around :)

12. Niki72

Niki72 Member

Rollergiraffe
    Where is the gate on your gate system you showed? We are trying to find something for a 13 ft space and I am thinking yours might work.

Thanks!

13. Rollergiraffe

The gate is in the middle, but if you're handy, I think you could re-arrange some panels to put it wherever you want. If you're stretching it in a straight line across a wide room, I'd recommend buying some foam or something to put underneath to stabilize it a bit. My super handy dad made some supports for it. You can kind of see them in this photo... it's the black curved part which is bolted in to the gate. The one I have is 12 feet, so if you have 13 ft, order an extension kit.

14. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

We bought 2 superyards but we don't hook them together. Don't laugh, but instead we took sections and bungied them around areas that were off limits so that they could still run through the family and living rooms but not be able to touch the stuff on the entertainment center, or bookshelves, etc. I can send pics if that doesn't make sense.

15. garden2009

So, I found this one when trying to price compare for the gate you suggested. Appears to be a different brand name but the picture is the same as the one for the gate you have? Just wondering if you came across this?
    http://www.amazon.com/North-States-Metal-Superyard-Gates/dp/B000U5FOT2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1279732047&sr=8-1

16. Rollergiraffe

I didn't, but I didn't shop around much at the time.. I saw it on the costco website and ordered it because I was desparate! But that gate does look remarkably similar to the one that we bought. I think it would probably suit your needs well if it has a wall mount piece :)