One Nap Plunge

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by orangeyaglad, Jun 18, 2010.

1. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

The past two weeks has been horrible! Just when I thought these two were going to be on two naps for a long time they up and change on me. This week I have learned that I cannot go by their ques anymore because they are a big fat joke! These girls just love faking me out! lol Last week they did okay going down at 10 instead of their normal 9 and they would sleep for three or so hours then down at 6-6:30 instead of their usual 7. This week 10 is way too early, so is 10:30 and 11. :headbang: The past three days they haven't been napping at all and I'm so very exhausted. So today I'm taking the plunge and putting them to bed after lunch and hoping that they sleep because if they don't I will have to be sent away to the looney bin.:shok: Wish me luck!

2. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Good Luck to you!!! I think you're right, it sounds like they're ready to make a change. When my guys transitioned, I pushed lunch and bedtime earlier, and tried to have them down for a nap by 12-12:30 so they wouldn't get overtired. Sounds like you have a good plan. :good:

They might not nap well for a few days after moving to 1 nap; I left board books and a stuffed animal in their cribs so they could amuse themselves. Sometimes I'd hear them babbling for up to an hour before they napped, but then they'd sleep for 2-3 hours. You'll get through it I promise!! :hug:

3. orangeyaglad

Well today was a disaster. Isabelle went down for an hour nap at 9:30 and Aurielle didn't sleep at all. DH and I are going to work on it this weekend so we can get in a good routine by next week. Ugh...so over the toddlers not sleeping stage.

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: I would give them an early bedtime until they get back into a napping routine. I get seriously bent out of shape when mine skip naps. Good luck this weekend!

5. orangeyaglad

Phew! They finally fell asleep at 1!! I think we are going to keep them up until then tomorrow no matter what.

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:woo: Awesome! That's the time my two usually take their nap. One of the things you might try is working up until 1:00 if they can't hang that long right away. Some people started pushing nap time back every 30 minutes until they hit the right time.

7. orangeyaglad

We started doing that. They originally went down at 9, but then it changed to 10. Then somehow it made it's way to 11:30, but they were still fighting it. This all happened within the past couple weeks. I think Isabelle isn't ready for two naps, but Aurielle is. Not sure how to handle this one. Not quite sure how I handle sleepy babies that don't want to nap...

8. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

We pretty much went "cold turkey" to 1 nap after the boys were consistently fighting their am nap. One day we just said "no more am nap!" and kept them busy, gave them an early lunch, then straight to nap. It took a while for them to get used to it, but once we made the plunge we didn't look back.

Hope tomorrow goes better!

9. orangeyaglad

Thanks! I'll have help tomorrow, so it shouldn't be too bad. ;)

10. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

Hugs to you - I KNOW what you are going through. We have been battling the transition for at least 6 weeks. We are finally going down at 11 am. Problem is I had one not ready at all and one ready since 3 months ago that I have been trying to hold out on. We have had to have early bedtimes because they can't make it. Everything is messed up...I hope they figure it out soon. I do remember several days where they wouldn't have much of a nap at all - it has been kind of a nightmare due to their different sleep needs. Good luck and let us know how it goes.