Lightheaded spells 3 weeks after c-section?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sandy005, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Sandy005

Sandy005 Well-Known Member

Has anyone else experienced lightheaded spells after their c-section delivery. It has been 3 weeks since I had the twins and for the past couple of weeks I have been getting lightheaded spells off and on. Some days I don't have any and other days I could have 2-3. They are quick and brief, and most seem to be when I get up from off the ground really quick or when I am running around the house trying to clean for the brief 15 minutes. I haven't fainted or anything like that, but sometimes I do have to stop and hold on to the wall to be on the safe side and usually I'm normal once I grab the wall for a second or 2. I am still taking my iron supplement along with my prenatal vitamin, and I really haven't had excessive bleeding since delivery, actually it's been a lot less than my previous 3 pregnancies. I am going to the Dr on Tuesday for my 4 week postpartum check up, but thought I would see if anyone else had this and how long it lasted. Thanks ladies!

2. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

1st of all CONGRATULATIONS on your babies!!!! 2nd! you may want to just call your drs office and run it by them before Tues.
    but I will tell you that it took me a good 4 months to feel normal again after my c-section. I ended up loosing a lot of blood and having to take iron afterwards but I am telling you I felt like I had been hit by a truck for 4 months. I had 3 older boys all delivered vaginally - I was fine after all of them just sore but with the twins WHOA! and I don't know if it was the c-section or if it was that I had 2 babies and no time to eat right or sleep right???? My husband went back to work when my 2 were 5 days old and there I was having to do everything for everyone. I even drove myself to the OB that day because my incision opened up and I remember on the way home the shadows of the trees on the road started dancing - it was a miracle we made it home! so what you are feeling is probably normal - it is just better to ask a doctor!

3. Sandy005

Thanks for the reply - yes I definitely was hit by a MAC Truck! I do feel about 80%,but that's largely due to my husband being home and helping tremendously - I don't think I would have made it without him. I can't believe you did it by yourself after 5 days - I sort of had the same driving experience after the 1st week - I thought I was ready to do some grocery shopping, I swear somebody was watching over me! I'll will definitely check with the Dr - Thanks again!

4. desolation_anonymous

desolation_anonymous Well-Known Member

PLEASE ask your doctor to check your blood levels and blood pressure. If you can, see if you can get a blood pressure test today at a drug store or something.

I had lightheaded spells, but for me the reason why I KNEW...

I had mild pre-eclampsia and for me, my blood pressure (not the other symptoms, though) got WORSE for about 6 weeks after the babies! I had to be on blood pressure meds and monitor my blood pressure at home. Fortunately my blood pressure was already being monitored in the hospital and they wanted me to monitor it for a few weeks after because it started creeping up... but it kept creeping up for almost 2 months.

What most doctors won't tell you is pre-eclampsia and blood pressure issues can START at, or a few days after birth. That is not the normal course of pre-eclampsia, but it does happen to quite a few people.

Do the spells often happen when you are up on your feet, OR when you go from sitting to standing? On your feet = blood pressure is higher when standing and might indicate an issue. Sitting to standing might indicate drastic fluctuations when going from sitting to standing.

Feeling worn down, etc. is normal. Lightheaded or dizzy spells I'd pay attention to.

Even if it is blood pressure issues related to preg. that started post partum, they will likely get better within a few months... BUT I think you should get checked out so you can monitor it if it is a problem.

5. desolation_anonymous

desolation_anonymous Well-Known Member

I forgot to add... reason to ask about testing your blood levels is dizzy spells related to blood pressure fluctuations might not indicate high blood pressure. They can also indicate a drop in blood pressure when standing up(I had this when on a certain medication, almost blacked out several times) which can happen if you are anemic, have internal bleeding, or can indicate issues with spinal fluid (don't know if this ever happens from the spinal epidural?)all things possible shortly following pregnancy or a surgical procedure.

Sorry for the multiple replies, but the long story short is I think you need to get it checked out.... so you can find out why.

I don't think what you are describing is 'normal'- it might not be a big deal and will probably go away in itself with time, but I think you should get it checked out so you know what it going on, and just in case.

I'd like to add feeling dizzy or lightheaded all over could be food-related sugar issues (not enough protein, hypoglycemic, etc.) as we don't tend to take care of ourselves well enough with newborns.... but my concern that it might be blood pressure related and should get it checked out is because you stated it was when you were running around or when going from sitting to standing..

6. Sandy005

7. Sandy005

I also agree that this isn't normal. I get them too often - if it just happened a couple of times I wouldn't be too concerned, but it has happened closer to a dozen times or so. Thanks again!