? for those HSing kids grade 1 and up

Discussion in 'General' started by Stacy A., Jun 6, 2010.

1. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

We all know that having twins presents many logistical complications. I'm wondering what experiences you've had with different curricula as far as what works well with two kids on the same level and what doesn't. What requires you to buy two of everything and what are you able to get away with sharing? I know some things have consumable workbooks that don't cost that much, so I'm not really thinking about those as much as stuff that you have to buy two of everything or two of very expensive things. I'm trying to make some curriculum decisions and this is a question I'm having a hard time finding answers to on the websites for the various curricula.

2. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Which curricula are you considering? That might actually be an easier question to answer.

For spelling I'm really loving Sequential Spelling (which was recommended by someone on this site, I think). My boys are 3 grades apart and at different levels of everything except spelling. Trey's dyslexic and has really struggled with spelling. This is the first time he's enjoying it. They both do, actually. And the way it works, you can easily teach more than 1 child at a time.

We actually used one of the Math U See books for 2 kids. Money was tight and I couldn't afford a book for Trey. Sage didn't need 6 pages for each chapter, so she'd been doing 3 (usually a, c & e of a-f). Trey would do the other 3 and if he needed more, I'd print a worksheet off the MUS website. I don't really recommend that, but it worked for us when we needed it to.

3. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

Just so you know, Sequential Spelling isn't recommended until 3rd gradeish. But yes, that would work for a spelling program for 2 kids very easily.

4. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

That's interesting, I missed that. Adam is 7 and would have just finished 1st grade and it worked fine with him. But he scored pretty high on all his standardized tests he just took. They didn't include spelling though. He's been a bad speller compared to the rest of his schoolwork and this is really working for him.

5. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

Well, I was looking at Math U See this year and I know that will work for two. I'm hoping to get the non-consumables used, so I'll be able to get two student books.

I'm also looking at Sonlight for the next year (1st grade). I love that it is literature based. But, I didn't know how much of it I would need duplicates of. It is pretty expensive if you buy everything from them. But, I have some of the books already and I know I can get a lot of them from the library or used. So, I was hoping to cut costs down like that. However, if I needed two of each book, that would have to be out.

I'm pretty open to suggestions, though. I was just hoping people could share what they have used that has worked with two and what they've found doesn't really work and why. Then I could go research the ones that do and cross of those that don't.

6. me_and_my_boy

me_and_my_boy Well-Known Member

We are using Rightstart Math. All the manips you just need one of (except for the abacus which I bought 2 of) -- same with the teacher guide. The workbooks are not that expensive and you would need two of them. I know the Level A workbooks are only $5 each, but this program does not utilize workbooks as much as using the manips and games -- that just requires your time.

I am not using Sonlight, but am using their booklist. I was able to get most of them at a used book store or thrift shops. The rest I will get at the library. I would only buy one of everything except for workbooks. They can share, take turns reading, or you can read-alound to them at once.

I'm using Story of the World next year for History. Just need the main book, one Activity Guide and am buying the PDF activity guide worksheets so I can print what I need. I will use the library for their supplemental reading list.

We are using Handwriting w/out Tears and Explode the Code. I obviously bought two of those.

We are using Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading - love this book. I only need one of them -- done orally.

I am using Elemental Science Intro to Science and Biology for K and 1st - bought as an e-book. I can print as many worksheets as I need/want and can print the teachers guide or just look at it before each week's lesson. Am supplementing with library books.

I am doing a couple of Geography workbooks (have 2 of these) that teach map skills. We are also learning the United States and I have two workbooks with fun stickers that the kids love. They weren't very expensive though.

Next year (for 1st) I'm using First Language Lessons 1 and 2 (done orally so just need the book). Writing With Ease am going to use the teacher's text (I'm checking this out at the library first) and will come up with my own copywork so won't need to buy the workbook edition, which I would need 2 of.

We've started K and I know you were asking about 1st and up. I can say that sharing (other than workbooks to write in) has gone well so far. Sometimes I will also let one play Wii or something while I have one on one time with the other. I have one very advanced reader (4th-5th grade level) and one that isn't reading at that level. That makes it a little difficult sometimes.

If you haven't found The Well-Trained Mind boards already, they are very active and there is so much information on them. You do not need to follow The Well Trained Mind way of homeschooling for the forum to be beneficial. You can ask these questions and get lots of answers and ideas.

Good luck with your selections :). There is so much out there to chose from.

Mendy

7. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

If you like Sonlight for the literature aspect of it, you might look into Ambleside. I know a few people who use it and really like it. It's literature based and completely free.