At what age did you stop using sleep sacks?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by mwarner, May 23, 2010.

1. mwarner

mwarner Active Member

It's hard to find ones that are big enough for my girls (6.5 months, 17 pounds each) - is that a sign that we're not supposed to be using them much longer??

2. bekkiz

bekkiz Well-Known Member

I have huge 18 month olds, and we're still in them! We're using the extra large Halo ones. I did have to buy them online as they were impossible to find in the store.

3. mnm000

mnm000 Well-Known Member

Mine are 13 mos old and still in them - sz large Halo sleep sacks. I found them at Babies R Us. They did not have the x-large.

4. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I used sleep sacks until mine were around 18 months old.

5. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

Wow! My kiddos are way active and would be pissed if they were still in sleep sacks. We switched them to footie sleepers when they got too long for the sacks we were using (about 8 months) and they are much happier because they can crawl around the cribs, pull themselves up, etc. They can amuse themselves for quite a while without fussing if they wake and we can't get to them right away. I think we started with them learning how to sleep without the sacks at naptime and then ditched them for night a few weeks later.

6. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

Alyssa and Bryony used sleep sacks until they transitioned to beds, so until around 2 1/2. Eleanor and Ethan are both still using sleep sacks (at just over two and just over one). They do come in bigger sizes-maybe there aren't many in the shops because of it being almost summer? I'm sure you will find them online with no trouble if you want to continue using them. There is no reason to stop using them if you/your twins are happy with them.

As a side note my kids don't have any trouble moving around in the sleep sacks (and we don't have the ones with foot holes), they walk/crawl around their cribs just fine and can walk across the floor in them too, although they do trip more often than when not wearing them. A & B used to come downstairs wearing theirs in the morning to sit on the sofa and have their morning milk.

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This was our experience with them as well. My kids got pretty good at getting around in them. I think we stopped using them around 20 months old.

8. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

We stopped at about 5 months. We live in FL and it was too hot for them.