Giving babies water or juice

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by mwarner, May 19, 2010.

1. mwarner

mwarner Active Member

We only give our 6.5 MO girls formula and cereal/veggie solids at the moment. When did others introduce water or watered-down juice?

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I started putting a sippy cup of water on their high chair trays while I fed them solids, for practice. I really didn't give mine juice until after they turned 2.

3. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

I didn't start water until around 10 months - just to start trying to get them used to a sippie. At 19 months, I still don't do juice.

4. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I flavored their water with a touch of juice around 6 months, with their meals. They didn't drink much if anything for several months until they figured their sippy cups out.

5. Gigantor

Gigantor Well-Known Member

I started diluted juice (1/2 water, 1/2 juice) for all of my kids at 7 months. As they started to eat more solids. The boys only drink theirs with lunch and a little bit after dinner.

6. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We started water in sippy cups around 6 months, but it took them awhile to really learn how to drink from them. I'm not a huge fan of juice, and my two, at 3, still don't get much juice. Maybe once or twice a week at most.

7. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I started water in sippy cups at 6 months, for them to get used to them. It took them quite awhile to figure that all out, and I found they did better with no handles/spouts. I didn't do juice until they were sick and eating nothing....and I hope to hold off on introducting it to Annabella. Once you start-there's no going back! :laughing:

8. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We started giving them a sippy of water with solids around 8 months (just for practice -- we had to hold it for them). Until we gave up bottles completely and they started getting milk with breakfast and dinner, we just gave them water with pretty much every solids meal.

They probably had some juice before age 2, but not much, and I still don't give it to them regularly -- just as a treat.

9. MYTESSYGIRL

MYTESSYGIRL Member

my boys are just over 4 months old....they started getting very constipated at about 3 months old and my ped said to give them 2-3oz of nursury water (straight, at room temp) a day, split up into 3-4 times a day. they were still constipated so he said to try mixing it 1/2 and 1/2 with pear nectar. that worked and i continue still to give them several oz of 1/2 nursury water 1/2 pear nectar at room temperature a day otherwise they do go back to being constipated. they are fed soy based formula and ped just had them start on rice cereal once or twice a day followed by formula. they are doing very very well :0)

10. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I started with water in sippies at 6 months. If I gave juice at that time it was to aid with constipation issues.

11. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

just be careful with water at this age. water can make them feel full and it can have the negative consequence of driving their food/formula intake down. water is okay for practicing sippies and if their appetites are good but it's just something to be aware of.

we didn't start offering water until close to year 1, aside from sippy practice.

12. Tracy5780

Tracy5780 Well-Known Member

my doc said 6 months to try juice/water

13. WaterGuzzler

WaterGuzzler Well-Known Member

We just started water in their sippies around their first birthday. They've never had juice. My older kids didn't have juice for a very, very long time, and the only place they get it if they do is at school/daycare. They've never even asked for it. As a matter of fact, they turned their noses up to it for quite some time. They only get water during the day, unless they specifically ask for milk at mealtimes, but their number one request even outside of the home is water.

Quite frankly, I can't even tell you why we're so anti-juice in our house, but I am glad that they crave water.

14. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

same here although I rarely ever give mine juice. If I buy juice twice a year that would be a lot. Juice is a lot of sugar so we are a big water family.