playmats for twins?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by mommylaura, Apr 14, 2010.

1. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

My twins are starting to get squished in the playmat we had for my ODS - any suggestions on playmats/gyms for twins? Or should I just have two?

2. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I've never seen a double one, although some are definitely bigger than others. For me, I found that they used playmats for such a short period of time, that I would probably try to just get by with the one & not spend money on another.

3. timba09

timba09 Well-Known Member

I bought a second one and probably shouldn't have because we didn't get to use it very long. They lost interest in a couple weeks and wanted to be doing anything but hanging out on a playmat.

4. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

I agree with PPs. As soon as my kids could sit up they had no interest in the play mat anymore. They will probably be done with it before you know it.

5. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

I have three that I got on sale and I often just remove the toys and let them play with the toys in the PNP or wherever. They are rolling and squirming around now, so the mat itself is not terribly useful, but they love the toys. So I wouldn't buy another one unless you can get a good enough deal to justify buying it just for the toys.

6. mommylaura

Great advice everyone! Thanks!

7. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

You got some great suggestions. Can you tell me what ODS stands for? :blush: My guess is (other dear son) but I am not sure.

8. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

Are you talking about an "activity gym" playmat? I got this Lamaze Symphony Motion Gym for our boys and they liked it pretty well. The mat was bigger than another cheapy activity gym we had so both boys could lay under this one and play with the toys. Though once they started rolling a lot and crawling they didn't care about it anymore. I'm selling mine for $20 if interested :D :lol:

9. mommylaura

Rachel - I meant Older Dear Son :) Laura

10. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Thanks. I have never seen that one before. :good:

11. ScarletD

ScarletD Member

I haven't seen a double one. I had to buy two. Just another example of what I call "twin discrimination"

12. twinletmommy

twinletmommy Well-Known Member

We used the one when they were smaller, and now we just spread a bedsheet on the ground with toys around, and use the toys off the original playmat to help them along. We had the Baby Einstein (ocean theme). It was good. But they got to big for it when they hit ~3 months (2 months corrected).

13. AmyH

AmyH Well-Known Member

My twins are 4 1/2 months and they still lay under their playmat together.. I don't think they are really that squished, but they like being close together.. I have noticed though the last few days that haven't wanted to be under it for as long as they used to, but that could be because we just set up the excersaucers and they LOVE those! We have a fisher price one, with the big giraffe down one side.. :) Good luck!

14. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

We just put two of our playmats next to each other.....presto, a giant one with plenty of room to roll and wiggle. They have been playing there all day!