Taking the plunge

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Aeliza, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

We decided to go for it. I have been feeling Kiefer is ready for it. He hasn't been climbing out of his crib and has been quite comfortable in there, but we realized that at some point soon, we'll be traveling to see family. Some of our family members don't have enough room in their houses for sleeping bags or pack 'n plays or anything other than what they already have. Getting them in to beds at this point is going to make things go easier when the time comes. They'll be used to sleeping with freedom available to them.

Cameron, I don't think is really ready, but we decided to just make it a toddler bed for him too. Kiefer is already sleeping in his and I put him to bed about half an hour ago. He loves his new bed and appears to be so comfortable in it. Cameron, we are hoping he adjusts to it well too.

I guess tonight we'll find out!! Wish us luck!

2. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

out of curiosity, what signs did you notice to make you feel kiefer was ready? my guys are such active sleepers that i'm not sure how they will adjust to a bed. i've never seen them make it through a night facing the same direction in their cribs. did you start by putting a pillow in there and letting them get used to sleeping on it?

3. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Good luck! It's a whole new adventure when you move to toddler beds! :D

4. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

He's had a pillow in his crib for a couple of months and he's really taken well to it. He likes it. Though he does remove the blanket at some point, he does not move around much at night (we have video on him to see this). One day, the power in the town went out for a few hours. It was his bedtime and he was not comfortable going in to his crib. This was not his normal bedtime routine and there was no sound from his sound machine. There is a twin bed in his room. I laid down with him there. I was going to move him to his crib, but he really looked comfortable laying down on the bed. So, I got his blanket, two of his loveys and kissed him goodnight. We got a little nervous since Cameron had thrown up earlier that day. We thought if Kiefer threw up, then the uncovered bed would be ruined and stinking of puke, so I did eventually go back in there and put him back in his crib, but he was fast asleep on the bed. We still moved him, but I just felt that was my sign he was ready for a toddler bed. At first, DH thought I was rushing things, but then a couple of weeks passed, DH finally agreed that maybe we should just do it.

We were going to just convert Kiefer's bed, but just decided to go for it with Cameron. So far so good. Not a peep from Cameron's room. No surprise, Kiefer's still fast asleep.

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Good luck Eliza! Let us know how the first night went!

6. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Good luck, I hope the transition goes really well for you and your boys! :D I'm a chicken and am hoping mine will stay in their cribs until they're at least 3! :lol:

7. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

They did great! Kiefer woke up with a mess in his diaper, so had he not pooped in his diaper, he may have slept longer. That would have been great! For the past week, he'd been waking up at 8:30am which is early for him. This morning, he woke up around 9:15am. He didn't make a peep. He just got up and walked around his room.

Cameron slept until 9am which is normal for him. He stayed in his bed for a bit and then just got up and hung out in his room. He seemed a little curious why his bed is broken (he kept pointing to his bed with a very curious tone to his voice like he does when something of his breaks or just doesn't look right). It was so cute. But he was a very happy boy!

Our next challenge will be naptime. Kiefer is the better sleeper so I could imagine he'll probably nap when it's time. Cameron tends to fight his naps a bit more so this may be more of a challenge for him. Then again, he surprised me last night, so who knows. He may nap well too in his new bed.

8. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Wow, that's great! Congrats on a successful first night! :D I hope that the transition continues to be smooth. :good:

9. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

Great news!!!! I'm so glad that things have worked out so well!!! We're hoping to do a real transition during the summer and you're a great inspiration. :good: Keep us posted on how things are going! I hope they do well for naps!

10. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

As I thought. Naptime did not work out well for Cameron. TOO exciting! Kiefer, is still sleeping and it's been 2-1/2 hours since we put him to nap in his bed. I am not surprised about Kiefer but am very happy about it! Cameron is now going to be a crank! I'll have to try again later today if he's really tired still.