slammin fingers in dress drawers

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by kdanielleflowers, Apr 5, 2010.

1. kdanielleflowers

kdanielleflowers Well-Known Member

The girls have taken a big interest in their clothes lately. Mostly, they are interested in the clothes in their dresser drawers. They want to take them all out and throw them on the floor. Honestly, I don't mind picking up the clothes, but they keep slamming their fingers in the drawers. I've tried everything. I put stuffed animals in front to draw attention, I've moved the dresser away from all of the toys, but I can't just take it out. I need a place for their clothes. It's an old dresser (was mine when I was little) and the tracks aren't that great, so they can lean on a drawer and slam it pretty quickly with their body weight.

Any idea ladies? I'm desperate! :headbang:

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm not sure what kind of drawer handles you have, but can you tie a bungee cord (i.e. from the top drawer to bottom) through the handles in hopes to keep it closed? We had to do the same with our entertainment center and that works to keep the kids out of it.

3. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

We have superyard pieces set up in front of it to discourage emptying if drawers, Definitely not fool proof, but that in conjunction with a sticker chart has at least limited the number of times I have to put a whole dresser of clothes away....

4. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I haven't had this problem but maybe sticking a couple pieces of tape on the top so it doesn't close all the way? I hope you find something soon, smashed fingers are not fun!

5. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

we put the girls' dresser in their closet & bought closet locks. :good: hope you're able to find a solution soon!

6. kdanielleflowers

Of course! The SPY! I'm setting this up first thing tomorrow morning. I've had it in the back yard as a deterrent for escaping to the street, but this is a bigger need right now.

7. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

I've removed the knobs from the drawers. If you cannot pull the drawers out with your fingers by pulling on the sides, you can always get some metal hanger or something thin and strong that you can stick in the knob's hole and pull the drawer open that way. My boys stopped trying after they realized it just isn't easy to do anymore.

I do have some clothes still in those drawers, but I use one of those door locks that break in to the one way door knobs to pull open the drawers, and it works really well!

8. kdanielleflowers

Duh! Geez, why did I not come straight to you ladies when this started? OK, I'll start with removing knobs, if that doesn't work, then SPY comes back inside!

9. trudyhm@att.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

We put these corner guards inside the drawers so they won't close all of the way. Mine have learned to really watch their fingers after numerous finger-slamming instances, so they do learn. Removing the handles is a great idea too!

Guards

10. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Ok, bad mama confession time: my guys have learned to close drawers with their palms because their fingers have gotten pinched so many times. :blush: We have a coffee table in the living room with rings for drawer pulls that can't be removed. They just love opening and closing them (and hiding toys in them) and they used to get their fingers stuck; after a few times of being hurt they figured out how to close the drawers with their fingers out of harm's way. :pardon: So I can tell you that negative reinforcement really works!

11. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

For the most part, my boys do close drawers with open palms now. When I have to open the drawers, they like to close them and they are good at it now. Before, I'd have to shoo 'em off like flies if they tried to touch the drawer. They do the same with doors. Though I have that foam thingy that keeps them from closing the doors all the way, at night, when the foam protectors are off, they close the doors with their palms. They do learn after some accidents. But I still use the various protectors cause I don't want the next accident to be a broken finger. Kiefer's already lost a nail with a door accident.

They do, however, play with the closet doors. I don't know how to protect them with those since they are held shut with magnets, but so far, no big accidents.