Portable night lights.... Mobi TykeLight

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by maybell, Mar 31, 2010.

1. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I am curious about the Mobi TykeLight and wondered if anyone with kids near 2 yo or older liked them, and for how long the kids liked them... would they like them for a couple of years?

here's a link to Amazon that shows a couple of options...

Also, if you have the Mobi one, do you like the rechargable one? or the Jr. one that takes AAA batteries?

thanks for letting me know the pros/cons... I was thinking about these for the twins' 2nd birthday.

2. Buttercup1

Buttercup1 Well-Known Member

We got similar ones from Ikea...

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30150984

They have a bunch of different colors and shapes and they are rechargeable. The girls don't use them every night, mostly when they are scared or if they are sleeping somewhere else other than home. We have blue ones and I think they are a little too bright, they hurt my eyes when I look at them.

My nephew has the red one from Ikea and he loves it. But he's got a ton of things in his room turned on at night. His room looks like the Vegas strip!

3. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

My son loves his tyke light. The only thing is he sleeps with it on all night and we already burnt out all the bulbs except the green one :( He has only had it for about 6 months. He really likes to take it to bed with him and in his forts that he makes and he puts in on the charger every morning. He calls it his ghost. I am hoping we can get replacement bulbs otherwise I will have to fork out another $30 to get a new one. It can be a little bright depending on the color but if its too bright he puts in under his pillow and still has some light. I think the ikea one would work well too but we don't have an ikea here and they aren't available online.

4. maybell

thanks for the info! I actually have an IKEA nearby (yay for us)! I may have to check that one out too! the playing with it in forts sounds fun too!

5. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

I was going to say IKEA. My friend has them and says they stay lit for most of the night. She loves them. They are soft plastic and you just charge them up during the day and then they have no plugs in their rooms. Briliant really.

Heather

6. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

Naomi and Luke have these ones which are quite similar to the ones in your link. I can't remember exactly when they got them, I think they were around 3, but they still like to use them now. They are easy for the kids to turn on/off themselves, recharge during the day and will then last through the night, don't have any 'plug' for recharging (they recharge by standing in the base that you can see in the picture, the bottom of them is flat) so the whole thing is smooth moulded plastic, they stay cool to touch and are a nice size for little hands. I think they have a gentle glow but I have had people say theirs are fairly bright, I don't know if ours are maybe a lower wattage with being older.

7. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

Nadia has the Mobi that's rechargeable. We didn't leave it on, though -- when she was a toddler and occasionally had trouble going to bed, I'd put it on the timer, and it worked great. It would turn off after 15 minutes, I think.

After that, she mostly just used it to play, or to get up and go to the bathroom. She doesn't use it anymore at age 6, and hasn't for a long time now. For one thing, she never gets up at night, and if she does, she just turns on her bedside reading lamp. So yeah, you might get a couple of years of use.

Oh, one more thing -- her rechargeable Mobi doesn't really hold a charge anymore. I think we'll likely throw it out soon.

(I have two more sitting unopened for Kevan & Karina -- they don't really need them, so unsure when I'll bring them out. Maybe when they're fully potty trained, so they can use them at night if needed.)

8. maybell

your post got me thinking about the warranty, and its only a 90 day... but I was going to say you might call anyway, I've had really good luck lately getting replacements for items that I didn't have receipts for etc.

I think the Mobi one is cute and cool that it cycles through colors, but a bummer if they burn out...

9. maybell

one other generic question... my children both are big time biters and chewers! Maybe that will stop once they get the last few teeth in? but I worry about them chewing the light... any thoughts on that - any experiences? thanks again!

10. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

My son did bite the hand once and dented it. I was unable to pop it back out but told him if he chewed on it anymore than it would go in the garbage. He never did it again. It didn't pierce through just dented it.

11. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I bought one for my girls and my 13yr old has taken it over LOL!!! He likes to keep it beside his bed to light the way for middle of the night bathroom trips! :hush: he would totally freak out if he knew I just posted that!

12. maybell

thanks ladies! too funny about your 13 yo!!! and good to know about the biting incident!

13. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We have the ones Zoe posted. We like them, although one of them did break when it got dropped on the floor a couple of times (within the first week that we owned it) and DH had to glue the battery cap back together so it would light up again. I don't find them to be too bright. They are bright enough for the kids to "read" by after lights-out, which is a good thing.

I would not give any portable night light to toddlers who are chewing on things a lot. It probably wouldn't hurt them, but there are batteries and hard plastic in there -- do you really want them gnawing on it when you can't see them? I'm not a worrywart in general, but that's not worth the risk IMO.

14. foppa2102

foppa2102 Well-Known Member

my girls have used those since being in toddler beds in january. we like the ones with the AAA batteries over the rechargables because the rechargable batteries only lasted a few hours. the green is brighter also, you can barely see the light in the pink/purple one.

15. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

We had them! Loved them!!! I say :good:

16. maybell

thanks everyone! yes, my dd is a chewer... and that worries me. She also doesn't really "obey" much yet... so I'm not sure the whole warning that we'd take it away would work... I may revisit these once she gets past the chewing part... they are pretty cute and I think they'd really like them. it was fun to see the different ones that everyone has and it will be fun to see what we end up getting them.