cheese question

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by newtothis, Mar 15, 2010.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

i havent give the kids cheese yet. just yogurt. i have a bunch of kraft american cheese slices (the ones in the plastic wrapper). are these ok to try?
    everything they have eaten has pretty much been organic up until this point and i know these cheese slices aren't organic. i also wanted to make sure the plastic wrapper is ok.

2. Fossie

Fossie Well-Known Member

I am not committed to giving organic foods only so I may not be the best to weigh in on this but just wanted to say that we feed our two Kraft slices all the time! One of their first words was "chee" in response to seeing a slice come out of the fridge and we give it to them in little pieces on it's own and use it to make grilled cheese sandwiches and cheese toast with ham nowadays too.

1 person likes this.
  3. newtothis

4. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I give my girls Kraft cheese. It was one of the first finger foods they would eat! However, I am careful to only give them the real cheese and not the "cheese product". The real cheese by Kraft does not come in the individually wrapped slices. If your package says "cheese product" on it, it's not real cheese.

I learned this after I'd been giving them the fake cheese for some time.

1 person likes this.
  5. newtothis

OH WOW! i didn't know that! thank you!!
    wth - that is so gross, lol! i didn't know this.

6. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yeah you can tell if it's fake cheese b/c when you try to make grilled cheese with the fake cheese it turns to total liquid, it doesn't melt right. That's what I first noticed and asked my mom about and then found out I had cheese product.

7. newtothis

that is crazy. i never knew this!

8. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

You can get organic or natural American food slices if you want to stick to organic. They're pretty expensive, but available at Whole Foods, Wild Oats, and even Trader Joes sometimes. Just FYI...

9. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Kraft singles are processed cheese, which is made with actual real cheese combined with an emulsifier which enables it to melt without the oil separating from it like regular cheese. I don't really know if that means it's bad for you, it does contain some additives that are different than just plain cheese, but much of our cheese contains additives anyway, especially food colouring (cheese should not really be orange). :pardon: My kids do occasionally eat processed cheese, mainly because it makes better grilled cheese sandwiches. As with most other things, I just make sure it is something they eat in moderation since it's probably not the healthiest thing they could be eating.

When they were babies & I was looking for finger foods, I found cutting cheddar cheese into tiny cubes was the easiest way for them to eat cheese since it was easy to pick up.