When did you deliver your fraternal twins?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by w101ttd, Mar 11, 2010.

1. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

I am having fraternal b/g twins. I am 28w3d. So far, I dont have any issue with my pregnancy. My doc and high risk think I have high chance to carry them full term. I do know thing can change bad just in second. But I try to think positively. However, my boss is worried that I can go in labor anytime from now. He makes me worried too haha. I plan on working until Im 36 weeks. So I am wondering which week fraternal twins usually come? I heard they said bettween 36 to 37 week. But a lot of people had their twins before 36w. Plus, this is my first pregnancy.

2. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I delivered my frat b/g twins at 35.5 weeks.

I agree many things can change to determine when you deliver, you just never know.

3. babyhopes09

babyhopes09 Well-Known Member

Great question!!! I'm 32 weeks and would love to know the answer to this! I feel like I could go any minute or it could be another 5-6 weeks!

4. mommyto3girls

mommyto3girls Well-Known Member

I had mine at 35 weeks 5 days. I worked the whole time.

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I delivered mine at 38 weeks and stopped working at 36 weeks.

6. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I went part-time (office job) at 26 weeks, stopped working at 29 after an episode of PTL, and delivered by scheduled c-section at just under 37.

7. Sunny

Sunny Well-Known Member

I haven't delivered yet, but my doc said the average for twins is 36 weeks. I've also read that only 40% of women make it to 38 weeks with twins.

It's definitely too early to know -- I was put on bedrest at 25 weeks and we were worried about micropreemies, and now I am approaching 35 weeks and doing just fine (still on bedrest though). Meanwhile a friend of mine who has been rocking her twin pregnancy is now starting to go downhill (she has the same due date as me, ironically) and they have pushed up her C-section date.

Good luck!!

8. MamaKimberlee

MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

I delivered my frats at 38 weeks (scheduled c-section). My SIL delivered her frats at 35 weeks (emergency e-section).

9. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

I was induced with my b/g twins at 38 +1.

10. TennesseeMomma

TennesseeMomma Well-Known Member

Mine were delivered at 34 weeks 6 days...I was on bedrest after 28 weeks because of low amniotic fluid for Baby A, and I was induced because of pre-eclampsia...sounds like you are doing great! Hang in there!

11. genagoodrow

genagoodrow Well-Known Member

Don't let your boss worry you. Yes, twins moms as a group have high rates of complications and preterm delivery. And yes, things can pop up and affect any of us. BUUUTTT, your chances of going full term are better than most. Moms with conditions you don't have are likely to deliver early, either because their body goes into PTL, or because their docs decide it's best. So take those moms out of the calculation, and the chance of a twin mom like you going to 38 weeks looks pretty good!

I was a lot like you. Di-di twins, no health issues for me or the babes whatsoever, and nothing more than minor discomfort. I planned to scale back my non-work activity level at 30 weeks, and kinda did, although I felt good and walked 2 miles a day all through my pregnancy. I worked full time until 38w 5d. Delivered at 39 weeks on the dot, induced with castor oil. In hindsight I could have worked another week and let the twins choose their own time to be born.

Check out this study. It's an interesting read. My amateur summary is that unless you have a complication that leads to an early delivery, you won't necessarily have an early delivery. It's a little redundant, but optimistic too.

http://www.uptodate.com/home/content/topic.do?topicKey=labordel/5122

My DH's boss too was freaked out about my pregnancy. He was sure I'd go early and ruin his plans at work for my husband. The boss's only experience was with preterm births. But it's not always, or even usually, the case.

Reassure your boss, make contingency plans, and keep up the good growing. Here's to 40 weeks momma!

12. jromkey

jromkey Well-Known Member

I left work when I was about 26 weeks pregnant (doctor's orders and I had no complications up to that point, nor any underlying medical/health issues). When I was 28 weeks and a few days pregnant I went to my doctor for a routine ultrasound and my cervix had shortened significantly - I was also having regular contractions that I couldn't feel. Needless to say, I was in the hospital overnight and put on home bedrest until I had an emergency c-section at 35 weeks, 2 days. All that to say that complications/issues can arise at any time and you need to be prepared for that. Personally I would plan to leave work at around 30 weeks because you need to be resting a lot more. Carrying twins is tough on your body and resting regularly during the day could help keep those babies in there longer. I know it's not always possible for everyone to leave work early but if you have the means I would highly recommend that you leave work by 30 weeks. I wish you all the very best during the rest of your pregnancy and beyond - :youcandoit:

13. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

My OB wont take me off work until I am at least 36 weeks (If I dont have any issue). Neither does my high risk doc. They think I am doing great. I work at a desk for 8 hours/day. After work, I have dinner and go straight to bed at 7:30 haha. I always get like from 8-10 hr sleep/night. The important thing is my body tells me that I am doing great. I do prepare for issues cominng up later. For now, I just hope every week goes by smoothly.

Thanks alot ladies! You made me feel way better and positively again. Gosh some time, people make me nervous (like: omg, your belly is huge, are you gonna have babies soon? Twins? thats crazy!! are you feeling ok? blah blah blah...)

14. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I had mine at 34 weeks 5 days. I was on bedrest though from about 30 onward. Just major swelling and discomfort and high blood pressure, which did turn into pre-eclampsia at 34 weeks and 5 days. (I knew I wasn't right, so I called and went in to my OB that day).

15. genagoodrow

genagoodrow Well-Known Member

Exactly! Be prepared for things to get tough, but if your body's telling you good things, that's the best you can hope for!

Another favorite link of mine, about a twin momma going full term is below. The blog post is great, but better is all the hundreds of comments. It got me through the last weeks of pregnancy with a good attitude.

http://www.lookydaddy.com/weblog/2007/06/i_know_that_mos.html

Yes, be humble and know things can change on a dime, but also enjoy it while things are good. Sounds like you have every reason to expect to go full term. Congrats!

16. tundrababy

tundrababy Well-Known Member

I went 37wk 3days with my frats - I worked until 32wks (12hr shifts as an nurse) then pre-e put me on bedrest.

17. giselle

giselle Member

I delivered my 2.5 year old b/g twins at 36.3 weeks and I'm currently 36.3 weeks with my 2nd set of b/g twins! Just waiting...

18. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

I was induced at 38w2d (didn't work so can't comment on that). Average gestational age is between 35-36 weeks I think.

19. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I delivered my fraternal boys via emergency c-section due to pre-eclampsia at 31 weeks 6 days. Everything was fine until about week 30.

GL with the rest of your pregnancy.

20. dowlinal

dowlinal Well-Known Member

I had my boys at 37 weeks 3 days. I wasn't working, but I was able to keep up with my older two kids and all their activities until about 35 weeks. Then I kindof hit a wall and limited myself to necassary activities.

21. Kristin N

Kristin N Well-Known Member

I was the same, stayed at home with our two year old and kept up with her just fine until I hit a wall at 36 weeks (we cuddled up and watched a lot of movies that last week :) ) I had my boys at 36.6 weeks (scheduled for induction at 37.4) after my water unexpectedly broke...no previous contractions. I also had the picture-perfect pregnancy, no issues/complications whatsoever. Just keep listening to your body and you'll know when you need to slow it down.

22. LeeandJenn15

LeeandJenn15 Well-Known Member

I had to beg my doctor to let me stop working at 36 weeks because I was worn out, but he would have let me keep working since I had no complications whatsoever. I had my b/g twins at 39 weeks, scheduled c-section, and the babies probably would have stayed longer, since I was just barely dilated and barely effaced at that point.

23. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I had a c/s at 39 weeks. :good:

24. ohd1974

ohd1974 Well-Known Member

C-section at 38 weeks. I went part time at 28 weeks and stopped all together at 33 weeks just due to the fact i was so friggin uncomfortable.

25. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

I delivered at 38 weeks exactly via scheduled c-section. I am sure I would have went longer...no sign of them moving an inch. I walked my usual 2 mile path in the park the day before. Walking felt so good to me my whole pregnancy...even with the swelling. The whole time I was prepared for preterm labor and it never happened. My babies didn't turn but we did an ultrasound the morning of delivery to make sure I couldn't have them vaginally, and I was secretly hoping I was in labor...but not even a blip on the screen...heh heh. And yet I had constant BH contractions from about 23 weeks on. The body is truly amazing. :) Good luck to you!

26. SuzyHolland

SuzyHolland Well-Known Member

I had my boys at 39+1 weeks
    My water broke....finally

In Holland you get full payed when pregnant and you have to stop working.
    We get 16 weeks leave. 4 or 6 weeks before delivery and 12 0r 10 weeks after

I'm a nurse and we have to stop at 34 weeks
    With twins most gyn. say 28 weeks you have to stop

27. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

36 weeks due to early pre-eclampsia. In special care for 10 days.

heather

28. Robynsegg

Robynsegg Well-Known Member

I was induced at 38 weeks 5 days with my b/g twins and they STILL werent' ready to come out! I think I would have made it to 40 weeks for sure!

29. horizon250

horizon250 Well-Known Member

38 +2 days by scheduled c-section. Not dilated or effaced yet. Would have stayed in forever if they weren't breech. I had an ideal pregnancy and found that this pregnancy feels harder than the last one.

30. christielea21

christielea21 New Member

On my first week off of work! Although working from home... sort of.
    I am still waiting 38 weeks 5 days...

31. Fossie

Fossie Well-Known Member

I delivered mine at 34 weeks, 5 days and had an emergency c-section due to preeclampsia. I worked from home due to swelling and discomfort starting at about 30 weeks, but still managed to go out to eat, go to my shower, etc. right up until the end!

32. NaturallyBaby

NaturallyBaby Well-Known Member

I delivered at 35w2d. At 34 weeks, all was well and my OB thought for sure I'd make it to my planned c-section date of 38 weeks. At 34w3d I was admitted with pre-eclampsia and the twins were here 6 days later.

It really can chance very quickly. My BP went from normal on a Thursday to 150/100 3 days later. Craziness.

33. SuzyHolland

SuzyHolland Well-Known Member

My boys came at 39+1 weeks.

Must say that in Holland you stop working at 34/36 weeks.
    Butt most twinmoms-to-be don't make it that far.
    When you have to stop or less hours we get are full salary and also the boss gets the salary fully compensaded.