ds ONLY wants milk for lunch/dinner

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Gimena, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Gimena

Gimena Well-Known Member

DS has been sick for a few days and now his eating is horrible! He does well with breakfast (in the high chair),
    but when is time for lunch (well after he hap..3 or 4 hours later) he wants nothing to do with food. He won't even try
    it.
    He just gives me the sign for milk and cries and cries... These past few days with him
    sick I gave him pediasure so I knew he was getting something nutritious and he loves that.... but
    I can't keep feeding him only that... he eventually eats something if I follow him around with the
    plate... he is in the 30% of weight...he eused to be 50 until he started to walk... he is VERY active
    so he burns everything he eats..
    oh...and he runs for the pantry where snacks are... if I do give him something else is fruit/yougurt

is it just a phase???

meanwhile dd will eat everything on her plate and asks for more if I'm feeding him
    she is in the 90%...and not as active...

2. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

It's very normal for them to lose weight when they start walking. I wouldn't worry too much yet but it's great that you keep trying to give him food. I have little ones so I know how you feel, like you said you're pushing healthy foods when he does eat and I think you're doing great. I wouldn't worry too much but if you are then call your ped, doesn't hurt to ask their opinion. GL!!

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The pedisure is great for the extra calories and nutrients and it cannot hurt for him to have it on days he does not eat well. I would keep offering the meals. I agree with Brigette, if it is still a concern for you, it can never hurt to check in with your pedi.

4. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Just keep offering and don't chase him around with food! My guys often go off their feed when they've been sick; it's hard not to worry because mine weren't even on the chart until they were about 15 months old. Give him a few days to recover from being sick, keep serving him meals with a few things you know he'll like, and try not to worry (I know, easy to say!). :hug:

I would definitely call the ped if he keeps refusing and you're still concerned, but he is getting hydration and nutrition from the Pediasure.

5. SMax

SMax Well-Known Member