Water and Juice in Sippies but refusing Milk

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Lydia, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Lydia

Lydia Well-Known Member

My LO's finally made the switch to straw sippy cups last week. Yahoo!!! yThe are only drinking water and watered down juice out of them. I have tried formula and milk in them repeatedly but they throw the cups on the floor every time. Should I be worried about this? I am very happy they are drinking lots of water out of them but shouldn't they be getting some milk still at this age?

2. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

Mine wouldn't drink milk without a little bit of chocolate in them for awhile. Maybe you could try that?
    They do need the nutrients from milk so if they aren't drinking it then I would push for a lot of cheese and yogurts. You can also try different kinds of milk, like almond or soy. GL!

3. foppa2102

foppa2102 Well-Known Member

same here, once the bottles went bye bye and we were on sippies, they threw down the milk. so i've caved in and been giving one chocolate milk, and the other doesn't like chocolate milk so she drinks the strawberry yogurt drinks... i just dilute both of those down with some milk and they do okay. plus we try to do lots of yogurt and cheese.

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I've also given milk a slight flavor to get my kids to drink it from the cup. They were not big fans of chocolate milk, so a little bit of strawberry syrup helped. Good luck!

5. Lydia

Lydia Well-Known Member

Thank you. I will be adding flavour to my milk for the next little while to see if that works! I love twinstuff and all the help it gives us clueless twin moms! Thanks again.

6. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Ain't that the truth?! Every time DH has a parenting question, I always preface my answers with "well, the TS moms say...." :laughing:

7. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ditto the flavoring! :D My oldest wouldn't take milk without chocolate sauce. Rest assured, at 8 yrs old, he will take plain milk without a complaint now! ;)

8. CVH

CVH Member

My guys are 15 months (13 adjusted) and after trying every sippy cup on the market and then finding one they liked (the last one we tried) they finally started drinking water out of them about 2 months ago. I then tried introducing milk every so often but they would also just throw them on the floor.

Last week I finally decided to hold my ground, I started with lunch and it was milk in sippy cups or nothing for two days my son caved on the 2nd day and my daughter still refused. Day 3 & 4 lunch and dinner was milk in sippy cups or nothing, my son did okay but my daughter refused unless someone held it for her and even them she would not have much. Day 5 & 6 breakfast, lunch and dinner was milk in sippy cups or nothing, my son finished the lot and my daughter had about an ounce each time before she threw it down. Day 7 was today and my daughter drank all her milk in her sippy cup this morning and 3/4 tonight. I don't plan on attacking the bed time bottle until the weekend as my husband will be away for a few days and I don't want to add more change. I did load them up on cheese and yoghurt over the week though to make sure they got enough dairy.

Good luck.

9. Brooklyne

Brooklyne Well-Known Member

Mine did this for the longest time - they are almost 2 and got the hang of things finally! I know it's hard but just let it be....they WILL get the hang of it.

10. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator