Unusual baby names.

Discussion in 'General' started by twin_trip_mommy, Feb 25, 2010.

1. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

2. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I love having my name, instead of having 6 or more friends with a name like Jessica or Chloe I am the only one I know thats a girl. I think unusual names can be taken a bit far, like my nieces name Magenta its different.

3. twin_trip_mommy

I think with so many people choosing unusual names a child with the name "James" might start to stand out more.

I like the names we chose for our children. They are traditional, not modern names. They are individual to them (no one else in the family has their first names) But they each have a family name as a middle name.

4. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

I'm sure similar opinions surfaced when my mom's generation filled with Jane's, Judy's, Joan's, Jean's, Barbara's, Patricia's etc. began naming their children Jennifer, Heather, Brittany, Tanya, Stephanie, Brandon, Jason, Justin, Jared, etc.

I personally love that at my son's preschool he is the only one with his name (Lennon) and all of the kids (14) in his preschool also don't share a name with anyone! Pretty cool, I think. And being the only "Jori" growing up - and very rarely even as an adult have I met or heard of another Jori, I'm not too traumatized by it at all. :)

5. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

Jori, I LOVE the name Lennon! Every time I see it, it makes me smile.

I wanted names that real, actual names - not made up - but different. Caleb is getting sort-of common, I didn't realize it was #35 for that year when we chose it. We had like 12 hrs to decide on his name, but I'm sure he won't be one of 10 Calebs in his class. DH has a super common name, and was really big on having unique names for our children.

I think we chose wisely. I like all my children's names.

ETA - I read the article, and I think the researcher is taking things a bit too far.

Also, I do see common names, so not everyone is following this. I know like 5 little boys named Aidan and a few Emmas.

6. Snittens

So wouldn't that child have an unusual name, then? ;)
    There is another trend towards old-fashioned names, like Alice, Hazel, Archibald, or Edmund.

7. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

While I was pregnant, I visited web nursery websites looking for baby names. we seriously had issues naming our kiddos! I ran across a baby that the parents had named Chaotic Passion - that poor baby. My little brother is a teacher and he had a child in his class last year named La-a (pronounced LaDASHa).
    I LOVE names that are different and are not common but Chaotic Passion?????? There is a BIG difference!

8. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I know of an "Alchemy Nirvana".

My two are named for family members and it just makes it nicer that I've always loved the name Alice. So they'll probably be ahead of the times when everyone else starts naming their kids names from the early 1900's.

Every generation has popular names and names from prior generations. It's like clothing, nearly everything will come back into fashion.

9. andrew/kaitlyn/smom

andrew/kaitlyn/smom Well-Known Member

Ha! My cousin had that student! Is it possible that there is more than one child in this country named La-a? Plus, my cousin pronounced it wrong for the first six weeks of school (something to consider when looking at really unusual names), and finally got a call from the irate mother telling her that "the 'dash' is not silent."

10. Heathermomof5

OMG!!!! I had a hard time thinking that one mother named their baby La-a! I cannot imagine 2 OR MORE! What state is your cousin in? my brother is in GA

11. a1cbrandy

a1cbrandy Well-Known Member

I have a neighbor who named their daughter ABCDE (sound it out). Thats how she spells it..

Brandy

12. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm in Massachusetts...and dh's cousin had a student with the same name! LOL!

I was a preschool teacher, so there was quite the mix of names... Preijiah is the one that sticks out the most to me. And I was there visiting recently-Envy. Envy is her name. Can you imagine?!??!?!?!

I love the names I picked for all of my kids. Anthony was #7 in 2007 and Nicholas was #20. And what's funny is they are #11 and #12 for the popular names of the 2000's. They are both family names-which I love. DH is an Anthony, but the boys were really named for their great grandfathers/grandfathers. DH's grandfathers are both Anthony's. My grandfather was Thomas Nicholas, but I switched it, and then used my dad's middle name for Anthony-Anthony William, and Nicholas is fil's name-Nicholas Gabriel. And for 2008, Annabella was somewhere in the 500's... nothing out yet on 2009 that I could find.

I like that my boys names are more traditional. And when people hear their names, they smile and say something along the lines of a traditional name, etc.

13. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

One of the girls has a kid named Ghost in her class.

14. Snittens

I'm calling Urban Legend on La-a.

http://www.babynamewizard.com/archives/2009/10/ledasha-legends-and-race-part-one

http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/le-a.asp

15. SuzyHolland

SuzyHolland Well-Known Member

We had a great time finding names.

Our Berber is a very old fasiond name. In the part of Holland my DH comes from. Friesland. But not very common.
    The first time I saw it it made me think of our vacation in Marokko.
    Not an easy name for my American family&friends
    And Kiara we just liked

For the boys.....well
    I spend a lot of time on www.babynames.com
    We loved Cosmo and Anakin but knew we could't use Anakin as his first name. We did make the newspaper :blush:
    And I realy wanted an Irish name...so we found Keagan, knowing that it was a hard name to pronounce in Holland. And Brandon...was my pick...I was born in Brandon Manitoba Canada

We know the kids will always be the only kid with that name....and like that
    Offcourse there will always be people who will make comments on the names.
    Butt....OH WELL DH & I are not standerd hahahahah

The boys had a hard time with there names...
    they called themselves COCO & KIKI :rofl: must say I'm glad that's over
    I kept thinking of them..18 in a bar and saying I'm Kiki and he is Coco :rotflmbo:

16. Code

Code Well-Known Member

Suzy I like your boys names! I know a few Keagans but have never heard of Cosmo before as name.

Their nicknames are very cute!! :wub:

17. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

okay, no offense to anyone out there...but that has to be one of the dumbest names I've ever heard.

next we'll be putting in commas... La,a... "La-comma-ah" LOL!

or how about a star? La*a... "Lastarah"...
    actually that one sounds kind of cool...

Some countries have actually interfered on this issue. I remember an article one how a Judge in Italy wouldn't allow some parent to name their child something... I forget what it was..but it wasn't even that bizarre of a name...it was like the name 'Tuesday' or something like that.

18. jjzollman

Aww, thanks Kelly! :wub:

19. Brizzy_Twins

Brizzy_Twins Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I love unique names but nothing out there. It's getting ridiculous lol.

20. Snittens

I don't think La-a is real.

Yes, some countries have official lists of names and spellings for them that are allowed.

21. 2 Munchkins

2 Munchkins Well-Known Member

I guess one of my girls has an unsual name, Isidra. I heard it back in 1995, and a diver named Ysidra was trying out for the olypmics and did an interview with Katie Curic. I immediatley fell in love with the name, and Isidra doesn't mind that most people can't pronounce it (E-see-DRA), even though it is not that hard.

22. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Names are so cyclical. Sean while not uncommon is not heard a lot down here. There was one other Sean in his high school of 2100 students. But it's always been a popular Irish name. Brian is the only one in his grade at the high school. Craig is the only Craig in the entire high school. However, both Brian and Craig were more popular in my age group.

I love my boys' names. Sean Patrick, Brian John (John was my FIL), and Craig Francis (Francis is my dad). Not unusual but very masculine and fit nicely with our Irish name.

I tend to prefer names that are more traditional and not too uncommon. Occasionally you hear a name that just makes you scratch your head but I enjoy all the different baby names out there. I'm not a fan of overly creative spelling though.

23. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

I had to chuckle, because I've never been confused about how to pronounce Isidra (which can also be written Ysidra). It's not that uncommon in Spanish-speaking countries, although I think the male version, Isidro/Ysidro, is more common - as in San Ysidro, California.

24. lleddinger

lleddinger Well-Known Member

I had to laugh, those are my kids names. I thought I was SO original at the time! And I LOVE the name Lennon also.

25. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My name is #10 of my birthyear and my sister is #12 or so of her birthyear. I always had someone else to share my first name with. Same with my sister. :)

As for Lennon couldn't use that name since my grandfather Royce's brother is Lennon. Or is it Lenin? I don't remember the spelling but they're both Virgil _____________. :laughing:

26. PumpkinPies

PumpkinPies Well-Known Member

You beat me to it!

27. Snittens

So did anyone read the premise of the article? That we all (those of us with unusual nam kids), might be leading them down the path of narcissism?

28. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

In Ecuador, using foreign surnames is a huge trend. So Lincoln, Washington, Roosevelt, Lenin, Stalin and, yes, even Hitler, are common first names. So when I hear Lennon, I think Lenin - and I can't shake the association. Which is a shame, because I like the Beatles association. :D

29. twin_trip_mommy

yes :)

If this is true it is ridiculous. A - is not a sound it is a punctuation.

If it were a sound then any person with a hyphenated last name would be ie. Mary Smith dash Jones :nea:

That's just silly.

I did just ask my children if they knew anyone else at school with their names.

No other Katherine's
    One student Jennifer and one teacher who's "real name" is Jennifer
    No other Stephanie, Daniel or Christina's But my daughter had to tell me that there is a Danielle and a Christopher (student) and a teacher who's "real name" is Christina.

I's so cute how they said "real name".

I don't know any Jori's but I do know a Zory. We have a neighbor who's name is Rasha (sounds like Russia) and my son called her Italy remembering her name was a name of a country :fool:

30. twin_trip_mommy

There are some white supremacists parents in NJ (I think) that were losing custody of their children. I think part of the reason was because of what they named their children. It was in teh news last year

31. jjzollman

We chose Lennon b/c it was a "cool" way to honor the 3 Leonards (a grandpa, a great grandpa, and an uncle) in our family without giving him the name Leonard and it honored my Irish/Scottish maternal side. We love The Beatles, too, so that made it extra cool to us. Lennon is actually an Irish name that means "Dear One".

Then we gave our twins 2 more Irish/Scottish names we loved, Sullivan (dark-eyed) and Finley (fair warrior).

I love all three of my boys' names, no matter how unusual they are! :wub: I can't imagine them with any other names, they suit them perfectly! :)

32. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Actually, the reason they may have lost the children to social services was not due to the children's names--which were all named after prominent Natzi's. The parents made the news because Shoprite refused to put the child's full first and middle name on the birthday cake (which was Adolph Hitler). They made a big stink about it. As a result, CPS investigated, and found that they may have been endangering the welfare of their children with how they were bringing them up. I don't remember the resolution, though. It actually happened a few towns over from me.

33. Heathermomof5

34. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I got told by someone that Abigail Rose (Abby's first and middle names) were too old fashioned...I love them!! Of course it does lead to the nickname Abbey Road sometimes LOL (another Beatles connection)...

35. twin_trip_mommy

I knew it had something to do with names and that I did not have the whole story. I just remember it had something to do with inappropriate names. Anyway it was a very sad story.