Flying with 21 month olds. Any advice?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by christie76, Feb 24, 2010.

1. christie76

christie76 Well-Known Member

We are leaving Fri. for our first flight with the girls to FL. Luckily, it's only 3.5 hours. I'm so nervous about it. We bought one seat and will bring a car seat for one of them. We'll just pass the other one back and forth. My parents are flying home with us, so that shouldn't be as bad. I'm just trying to figure out how the day is going to go. I bought some crayons and coloring books, small books and some old books they haven't seen in a while for the flight. I'm also bringing my laptop, so they can watch a movie if they need to. I'll bring sippies and lots of snacks. Any other advice? I can't wait to be there and have the flight over. Then, I'll be able to relax. I'm just picturing them screaming the whole flight.

2. june07girl

june07girl Well-Known Member

I'll let you know tomorrow. I am flying to Phoenix (3.5 hours) today. I am so glad my flight is direct, last time we flew at 14 months we had to change planes and it sucked! I have tons of snacks, new toys, books that I don't care if they destroy. What time is your flight? Ours leaves at 4pm-7:30pm so I am hoping they will be okay as it's not nap/bed time.

3. Lydia

Lydia Well-Known Member

Here are a few of my suggestions for flying with twin toddlers. First of all, be prepared to go off schedule. Keep a carry on bag exclusively for them with snacks, toys, wipes, diapers readily available(put under your seat if possible). When they get fussy, walk up and down the aisles. Befriend the person sitting next to you, or a flight attendant. The flight attendants have been most helpful on all my flights. I always try to tire my babies out before getting on the plane by walking all around the airport with them and keeping them busy so they are ready to sit for a while during taking off and the first little bit of the flight. That's all I can think of for the moment...

4. amelowe9

amelowe9 Well-Known Member

I second Lydia's advice--it's great! We flew in Dec. from LA to Boston (5 hour flight) and I'm not going to lie, it was ROUGH. You sound prepared and just go with the mindset that you can only do what you can do to keep them happy and not to worry what other people think. GOOD LUCK!

5. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

I took my singleton on a trip that took 24 hours with flights and lay-overs. I found coloured ziplock bags were great to help me identify the tylenol, teething gel, etc. I put everything in its own separate ziplock bags -- diapers, wipes, spare shirt for me, food. The blankets I wrapped and tied with a rubber band. This made it so easy for the security to check my bag and even put it all back in for me. Take throw away dollar store stuff no your good toys. Throw away and get new. Simple things like pipe cleaners, or fancy bows for presents you buy in a store will entertain.

Take more diapers than you think you need.

Easy outfits like slippers especially zippered ones.

Those backpack harnesses would be good.

Heather

6. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

GL Christie, I hope it goes OK. Let us know. Me & DH are flying with ours in July (they will be 25 months) and Im not looking forward to it either. Our outbound flight coincides with naptime too so that will be interesting! I guess we just have to be as prepared as possible and pray!

7. june07girl

june07girl Well-Known Member

Ummm.....we are here but it wasn't pretty. They missed their afternoon nap because we had to be at the airport three hours early (international flight) and then they barely slept on the plane and that was a big fight. Lots of toys were helpful and snacks worked as well, I guess you just have to plan for the worst and hope for the best. There were lots of other kids on our flight and they all took turns having little meltdowns, I think planes and toddlers just don't mix.