What age is safe to bathe both at once?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by andgoody, Feb 8, 2010.

1. andgoody

andgoody Well-Known Member

My girls are going to be 10 months old. They are sitting up well, but I don't trust them in the bathtub. I feel like they are very spastic still and could flop over. I feel bad though that they never seem to get any play time in the tub. I wash one, get her out, dress her, and then do the other girl. I would love for them to sit in there together and splash and play a little, but I'm home alone most of the time. I didn't know if anyone had any tips or if they didn't even try to wash them together until they were older. I don't have any bath seats. I have the blow up duck from Target that only one kid can sit in. I feel like it might be a waste of money to buy a couple $30 seats at this point. Are there any cheapy ones that work great?

2. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If you only put a couple inches of water in, then if they fall over it's no big deal, the worst they will get is a face full of water! (Assuming you are sitting right there of course! :D)

I've been bathing mine together since they were about 6-7 months old in the big tub. Most of the time my hubby is here to help, after the babies play for a bit I wash them and we each take one to diaper/lotion/dress. But the last month or so, sometimes I'll bath them myself. I let them play for a bit, and then wash one, take them out onto a towel beside the tub, dry and diaper, then take the second one out and dry and diaper. Then carry both to their bedroom to lotion/dress. Or bring their clothes into the bathroom and lotion/dress in there. The are hilarious bathing together! :wub:

3. mnm000

mnm000 Well-Known Member

Ditto PP. Mine are 10 mos, and some nights of the week, DH is not home before bedtime. I bathe them by myself. I just make sure I have everything out that I need, pjs, towels, lotion, shampoo, etc. I put them in together in just a few inches. I'm right there with them all the time, and for just one moment I take one baby out, wrap him in a big soft hooded towel. Then reach around and grab the other guy. I wrap up the second baby, then go back to the first and completely dry him off, diaper lotion and dress, then back to the second baby. I do speed dressing. I close the door to the bathroom too, so it heats up like a sauna!

4. eliseypoo7147

eliseypoo7147 Well-Known Member

We've been bathing our babies in the actual tub since they started pulling to stand, because all the bath seats we had said to stop using at the point. But, we did buy a spout cover, a no slip bath mat, and the bumper to go around the edges of the tub. As PP said, the worst thing that has happened in falling over and getting water up their nose, but we are in there so we pull them right back up. However, I ONLY do this with DH with me. I don't feel comfortable bathing them like this by myself.

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My DH and I started bathing them together around 10 months. We put enough water in the tub to cover the bottom and put some toys in there and they loved it. I think they may have slipped once or twice and that's it. We did not use bath seats at all.

6. becky5

becky5 Guest

We went from sink baths together to tub baths together(no seats) at 9 months.

7. timba09

timba09 Well-Known Member

Mine had their first "together" bath in the big tub a couple weeks ago, and like PP said, it was hilarious. They had a grand ole' time...definitely a Kodak moment. I have a non-slip mat which covers the bottom and a towel wrapped around the spout. They were too busy splashing each other and playing with toys to think about standing up, but I know that's coming real soon. When that happens I don't know if I'll be able to handle two kids trying to stand up at one time. I'd like to get one of those tub surround thingies and a real spout cover as the towel kept coming off.

8. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

We also used a mat in the bath. If they're sitting up well then adding a mat should give them enough grip to not just slip over. If they do jerk and fall then, like pp's said, the worst that will happen is they get water in their eyes/nose. As long as you're right by the bath you can just sit them back up again.
    Or you could try putting one in the blow up duck and keeping a hand on the other one for support.

Good luck!

9. cmorawetz

cmorawetz Member

I just started bathing my 15 month olds together - but I do fill the tub a bit more. I put a washcloth under each one (at least I try - they want to chew on it). I have had one daughter do a topple into the tub from the floor with me right there so when I only do one child, I use a baby gate on the bathroom door. I would suggest getting the kids used to the shower head too while in the bath as they seem to develop an aversion if they arent exposed. My four (almost 5) year old hates the shower and I think running the shower nozzle over heads would be a nice way to speed things up when they are older.
    Does anyone else have concerns about toys that squirt water? we have some that are a few years old and I just think mold and mildew are growing in them. Should I toss them away?

10. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Carol I tossed all the ones I had from my oldest ds, when I had my dd. Then I tossed most of the ones I had from her, when the twins came along. I get as much water out as I can after their bath, I never see them drinking water from inside them so I'm not overly concerned about it :) But I'm very very laid back about those type of things so you may have others disagree with me! :D

11. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We did the same. And I agree with pp's, just put a couple of inches of water in there & let them splash & play!

12. MomofOneplusTwins

MomofOneplusTwins Well-Known Member

I can't wait until I can bath my boys together!!! I am seriously counting the days. Right now, bath time is a chore, and there is little or no playing to squeeze everything in before bed.

I plan to get this (in blue). I will probably look for a couple on craigslist or at a consignment sale instead of paying the $25 each, but you could always use the 20% coupons that go out for BBB. You can find a similar seat made by different brands, I think Safety First and The First Years use to make one.

I just checked my local craigslist and I found one for only $5!