Still peeing his pants at over 4.5 years old

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by MusicalAli, Feb 3, 2010.

1. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

Anyone have any experience with this? I asked the pedi at his 4 year check and he didn't think anything of it at the time. Suggested I take him to the bathroom every 30 mintues. ummmm....Matt totally wouldn't go for that. I have a niece who is type 1 diabetic which is why I was concerned (as this was one of her symptoms) but he doesn't have any other symptoms. He's still in a pull up at night, but that's not a huge deal to me because I know that is normal. Ideas?

2. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

Ian will occasionally have accidents if he's playing and waits till the last. possible.second to go to the bathroom...and if he doesn't pee before he takes a nap (when he takes one) he will usually have an accident...

3. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

How often? Both of mine still have the occasional accident when they wait until the last minute. It only happens at home. Maybe the fear of a public accident drives them to go early at school.

4. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

I am also wondering if this is a daily thing? Does he experience pain any?

5. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

I would say a few times a week. He hasn't complained of any pain. He goes to the bathroom a normal amount (I would think), if not more often than another child his age. He does not appear to be abnormally thirsty. He's had accidents at school, but usually it's at home. He'll come home from school a little wet, but not a full blown accident.

6. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't consider the "little bit wet" an accident. All of my boys had that for the first six months to a year after training but my oldest ds had it for what seemed like forever! I think the urinary sphincter takes longer to mature for some boys so they may retain just a tad that drips out over time. I started telling him to try really hard to push out as much pee as he could even after he thought he was done. Within a few months the dripping was gone but I have no idea if the two things were related. If he's having full blown, pee all over the place accidents, not sure what to say. Does he seem defiant about it, like he's doing it on purpose? Or just busy/doesn't notice when he needs to go? I really think some kids just take a long time to mature into it. My twin dd still has accidents more than a year after training. She goes through phases. It's annoying but I try to not make a big deal about it. We just get changed and move on. GL!

7. lemongrrl53

lemongrrl53 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine had problems with this with his four year old son and it ended up being an overactive bladder, which he is now on medication for and is doing a lot better.

8. ruthjulia

ruthjulia Well-Known Member

this describes cameron as well. his accidents tend to be at school - i think he doesn't want to miss whatever they are doing to stop to go to the bathroom. it's frustrating, but i try not to get too upset about it. if i notice it happening a lot (last week he had 3 accidents in one day!) i'll usually institute a carrot or stick incentive (e.g., no dessert if you had an accident that day) and that seems to make a difference - so i think he just needs to be reminded to focus on it - he could care less if he has accidents and laughs about it (ARGH) - clearly peer pressure hasn't kicked in on that issue yet :headbang: